DCU: The Suicide Squad (aka Suicide Squad 2)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Idris Elba was absolutely wasted in this. They gave him nothing to work with in this. I thought they were going somewhere with his character after the early scene with his daughter but they didn't properly follow that up.

I've read he was originally going to replace Will Smith as Deadshot but they decided to change the character to allow Will to return later but they didn't spend any time fleshing out the new character and I wouldn't be surprised if a good amount of people think he was Deadshot.
He was Deadshot even if being called Bloodsport. The stories were the same but just a different version. The studio said it wasn't a reboot or sequel. Just a different version of Suicide Squad. The movie was extremely pointless. They could have just said it was an alternate universe and everybody would have bought that. This...well it's simply a different vision of the Suicide Squad just confused a bunch of people.

DC is a cluster %#$@.

Last edited:

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This one is better than the first, it was more entertaining. The only problem I had was it definitely could of been shorter.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Absolutely fantastic. Or should I say, fantabulous. Just good, dark, goofball fun through and through. Didn't give away too much in the credits/spoilers either. James Gunn is absolutely on fire.

Folks that didn't like it? To each their own. Thinking the garbage show that is the first movie was somehow better? Bwahahahahaha!
I agree. I thought the back and forth between Cena and Elba was fun.

What I like about the Suicide Squad concept is the use of total B list or C list villains. I also personally like the comic book movies that are a bit darker; to me, I don't see how the Avengers fight Thanos and still end up acting like boy scouts. That's kind of lame. I'm more of a Deadpool and Logan fan. Give me gritty, give me blood and guts, cut out the choir boy crap.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i thought it was super entertaining, but a little all over the place. massive upgrade from the first steaming pile of crap Suicide Squad.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I liked it.

"Nobody likes a show-off."

The interaction between Cena and Idris was hilarious. I legit found them two funny

this would probably rank dead last if it was a marvel movie but this was far far better than the first SS movie that was pure trash

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
i thought it was super entertaining, but a little all over the place. massive upgrade from the first steaming pile of crap Suicide Squad.
For me, I thought Will Smith and Margot Robbie were the only good things about the first Suicide Squad. Outside of those two, the movie was one of the worst modern comic book movies.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me, I thought Will Smith and Margot Robbie were the only good things about the first Suicide Squad. Outside of those two, the movie was one of the worst modern comic book movies.

Viola as Waller was solid too. But yeah... other than those three people just being watchable in almost anything they’re in, the movie was just inert and somehow managed to do what no other comic book movie ever has... totally screw up the Joker. Lame plot, ugly look of film and destroying the Joker was a bad combo.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Viola as Waller was solid too. But yeah... other than those three people just being watchable in almost anything they’re in, the movie was just inert and somehow managed to do what no other comic book movie ever has... totally screw up the Joker. Lame plot, ugly look of film and destroying the Joker was a bad combo.
I actually loved the Batman - Joker scene at the end of the Snyder cut. Not really because of Leto, but more because of Affleck and the general dialogue.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually loved the Batman - Joker scene at the end of the Snyder cut. Not really because of Leto, but more because of Affleck and the general dialogue.
I thought it was the worst part of that movie... which o surprisingly liked a lot after hating the Whedon cut.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This quasi-sequel/reboot made me want to see the Ayer cut of the first Suicide Squad.
This. Harley was watchable but Cena is not a good actor. In fact he is pretty downright awful. Yes, the interactions with him and Deadshot were funny but everything outside of that is just awful. Could they be anymore cliché with 3rd world country bad guys? The bad guys in the first movie sucked and their minions were just meh. However, the interactions I thought were better between characters in the first and they didn't have Patrick Star rampaging at the end which was soooo lame. They didn't have lame Leto's Joker in this. At least that's a plus.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I thought it was entertaining as long as you were able to embrace the ridiculousness.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I saw it this evening, and while I thought it was entertaining (especially considering the crapshow I'm going through with my move), I did have some questions.

1) What the hell is DC doing? I just don't get what they are doing with their properties. I am no fan of the Snyderverse, but it seems they don't have a plan moving forward for abandoning it. The first Suicide Squad was awful, why did this become a priority? They have had one solid release since Dark Knight (Wonder Woman), two "ok" releases (Aquaman and the Snyder cut of Justice League) and everything else has been terrible. Are they not watching the MCU? It can't take them this long to figure it out, can it? I put the Snyder cut as being "ok" because that seems to be the consensus of it. I think it's below average myself, just like most of Zach Snyder's output (outside of Dawn of the Dead).

2) James Gunn does this movie and then moves on to Guardians 3. Strange, but I assume that he was hired by DC when Marvel "fired" him, so that would explain it.

3) Birds of Prey was a huge misstep, as they made it as a vehicle for Harley Quinn but had her surrounded with other strong women. She needs her own movie where she just dominates the screen. Heck, let's see the Harley Quinn origin story in a full-length movie (I know that would involve the Joker, but still). Margot Robbie deserves better than being a supporting actress.

4) I loved Polka-Dot Man, but there was a strange lack of payoff from his story. Especially the "purging" (if you've seen it, you know what I mean). It happens once, then never again.

5) I wish Stallone was uncredited--whenever King Shark spoke, all I heard was Rambo.

6) Set pieces were good and off-the-charts bizarre, but it definitely fit the "Gunn" style for sure.

7) Finally, I also think John Cena is a godawful actor, but I actually kinda like him here.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I stand by my opinion that this would have been a much better pilot for an HBO type series than a theatrical film. So much felt weird about this. I'll give the Peacemaker series a shot simply because I'm looking at this as the pilot for it. I read recently the series will take place both before and after The Suicide Squad, which isn't surprising but I hope its more after than before because TSS didn't feel big enough to be a defining moment of sorts that is used as a major central point.

Its suppose to premiere on HBO Max before the end of the year.

Its another question mark though as far as why DC would choose that character as the main character to follow after that film. I wonder if anyone else was approached to be the lead and Cena was the only one who said yes so they added that post credit scene to make it happen.

BTW Dave Batista was offered the role of Peacemaker but he turned it down because he wanted to do Army of the Dead instead. I think he would have been better in the Peacemaker role and better to lead a new series. Army of the Dead was like was awful and is a perfect example of why Zack Snyder should not be left to his own devices.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stand by my opinion that this would have been a much better pilot for an HBO type series than a theatrical film. So much felt weird about this. I'll give the Peacemaker series a shot simply because I'm looking at this as the pilot for it. I read recently the series will take place both before and after The Suicide Squad, which isn't surprising but I hope its more after than before because TSS didn't feel big enough to be a defining moment of sorts that is used as a major central point.

Its suppose to premiere on HBO Max before the end of the year.

Its another question mark though as far as why DC would choose that character as the main character to follow after that film. I wonder if anyone else was approached to be the lead and Cena was the only one who said yes so they added that post credit scene to make it happen.

BTW Dave Batista was offered the role of Peacemaker but he turned it down because he wanted to do Army of the Dead instead. I think he would have been better in the Peacemaker role and better to lead a new series. Army of the Dead was like was awful and is a perfect example of why Zack Snyder should not be left to his own devices.

I thought Cena was funny in Suicide, but Bautista woulda really owned that role. He’s a great physical/comedic actor.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought Cena was funny in Suicide, but Bautista woulda really owned that role. He’s a great physical/comedic actor.

He wasn't bad but I didn't think he was that good either. Batista would have been great. If I knew he was up for that role before seeing it maybe I would have been more critical of Cena's performance because I'd be picturing Batista instead. I just think Cena added to the B level vibe the movie had, which wasn't it a good way. Like Elba's Bloodsport was the budget version of Will Smith's Deadshot.

With more time and perhaps even studio pressure I think TSS could have been better. It just felt cheap and not like a big tentpole release like the first was. I didn't care for the first film either but it felt like a waste of its resources rather than lacking top quality resources.

Its been hard to refer to Dave Batista by his name so much. Normally me and my friends refer to him as Drax. He's perfect in that role. That was one I was concerned about before hand also having seen him in other things but he nails action/comedy blend. I liked him in Stuber also. I was originally upset Jason Momoa didn't get cast as Drax coming out of Game of Thrones. Dave was the right choice though and Momoa has done great for himself since.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He wasn't bad but I didn't think he was that good either. Batista would have been great. If I knew he was up for that role before seeing it maybe I would have been more critical of Cena's performance because I'd be picturing Batista instead. I just think Cena added to the B level vibe the movie had, which wasn't it a good way. Like Elba's Bloodsport was the budget version of Will Smith's Deadshot.

With more time and perhaps even studio pressure I think TSS could have been better. It just felt cheap and not like a big tentpole release like the first was. I didn't care for the first film either but it felt like a waste of its resources rather than lacking top quality resources.

Its been hard to refer to Dave Batista by his name so much. Normally me and my friends refer to him as Drax. He's perfect in that role. That was one I was concerned about before hand also having seen him in other things but he nails action/comedy blend. I liked him in Stuber also. I was originally upset Jason Momoa didn't get cast as Drax coming out of Game of Thrones. Dave was the right choice though and Momoa has done great for himself since.
Bautista has a juicy villain role in Dune.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bautista has a juicy villain role in Dune.

I'm looking forward to that. I've avoided all the trailers because I don't want to spoil any of it. I know most of the cast and have seen some posters but that's it. I want to go in as fresh as possible. Since it's a remake of a novel though I know plenty of info but I'm hoping it looks as amazing as I think it could be with today's technology and Denis VillaWhatever his last name is directing.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Idris Elba as a budget level anything of Will Smith's is :biglaugh:

Idris Elba is a far superior actor generally but in this particular instance he was playing a part that was originally intended for Will Smith and it felt off. The film would have been better if they had waited for Smith to return.

Do you honestly think he played the role better than Will Smith did in the first Suicide Squad?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Idris Elba is a far superior actor generally but in this particular instance he was playing a part that was originally intended for Will Smith and it felt off. The film would have been better if they had waited for Smith to return.

Do you honestly think he played the role better than Will Smith did in the first Suicide Squad?
Fair enough. We just differ on this movie in totality, I think. I very much think he was better, but I also very much loved this movie and loathed the other one.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Idris Elba as a budget level anything of Will Smith's is :biglaugh:
Idris is a phenomenal actor but this wasn't his part. Will Smith nailed it already and is a phenomenal actor in his own right. Even Idris didn't want to follow and stomp on what Will Smith did so he asked them to re-write the part as Bloodsport. Everybody already knew that was supposed to be Deadshot. Honestly, after seeing this stink fest I have to wonder if Will Smith had more than a scheduling conflict when he bowed out. If I had read the last several pages of this script and how it ends I might have jumped ship too.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Idris is a phenomenal actor but this wasn't his part. Will Smith nailed it already and is a phenomenal actor in his own right. Even Idris didn't want to follow and stomp on what Will Smith did so he asked them to re-write the part as Bloodsport. Everybody already knew that was supposed to be Deadshot. Honestly, after seeing this stink fest I have to wonder if Will Smith had more than a scheduling conflict when he bowed out. If I had read the last several pages of this script and how it ends I might have jumped ship too.
I like Will Smith, but I'm not sure anyone "nailed" their parts in the first movie. Seems like you're treating him like he's playing Harry Potter and nobody has any right to play the character other than him.

You know what I don't remember about Suicide Squad? Everything. Including Will Smith. :)

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Will Smith, but I'm not sure anyone "nailed" their parts in the first movie. Seems like you're treating him like he's playing Harry Potter and nobody has any right to play the character other than him.

You know what I don't remember about Suicide Squad? Everything. Including Will Smith. :)
Who said anything like a lead character like Harry Potter? LOL. How the heck did you get there? So someone has to be a lead character to nail a part?!!? You seem to be ignoring that Idris also didn't want to stomp on Will's portrayal either. What part of the character did Will not get right?

Your second point? Well I am never going to get the Patrick Star ending out of my head.....EVER. So remembering is not always a good thing. That might be the silliest thing I have seen on screen since the walking chicken leg house in Hellboy.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave