The Steelers cut LB Joey Porter!

Twist18

Registered
Reaction score
Steelers | Team cuts Porter
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 13:08:55 -0800

ESPNews reports the Pittsburgh Steelers have released LB Joey Porter.

Go get him Rod!!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Go get him Rod!!

:eek:

GET HIM. GET HIM. GET HIM.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
He is a loud mouth, but you can't question his talent. I would take a look at him.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
This is likely the big name that we'll go after.

Is he as good as he used to be? No but still a good player and an upgrade over Huff

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
SF will go after him hard. They run a 3-4 and are in desperate need of LBs.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
But I thought SF already had a deal in place with Thomas? ;)

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
SF will go after him hard. They run a 3-4 and are in desperate need of LBs.

SF tries to run a 3-4 but usually can't due to a lack of depth. I think they're much more likely to go after and get Adalius Thomas.

If Porter were to go to a 3-4 team it would likely be New England. I don't think it would be that big of a deal to go to a 4-3 team though so he is in play for us

OP
OP
Twist18

Twist18

Registered
Reaction score
SF tries to run a 3-4 but usually can't due to a lack of depth. I think they're much more likely to go after and get Adalius Thomas.

If Porter were to go to a 3-4 team it would likely be New England. I don't think it would be that big of a deal to go to a 4-3 team though so he is in play for us

I swear Cleveland or SF have been rumored to be interested in every FA in the NFL.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
I swear Cleveland or SF have been rumored to be interested in every FA in the NFL.

I can understand why SF is mentioned in so many rumors due to them having so much money available under the cap.

I have no idea where the Cleveland rumors are coming from. They're number 5 in terms of money available under the cap (we're #3)

SMAC

Nobody Beats the Wiz!
Reaction score
Porter is worth a look, but he would need a good physical to determine any medical issues. Although, I prefer addressing LB through the draft with some talented players available in rounds 2 and 3 like: David Harris Michigan, Paul Posluszny Penn State, Tim Shaw Penn State, Brian Robison Texas and Zak DeOssie Brown University. All of the players listed can play the strongside position at LB. The Cards really need two LB's in this draft and maybe a vetern free agent pickup (i.e.-Rocky Boiman Indianapolis)

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is widely rumored that SF is going to hit the FA market fast and furious. They are supposedly targeting defensive players, specifically LBs to bolster their depleted LB corp. Last year they wanted to run the 3-4 defense but injuries and lack of depth made that almost impossible.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Go get him Rod!!

He may be a loud mouth but our team is full of guys that talk trash and what not.

Joey Porter is one of those DE/OLB. Would he fit in with our defense ?

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
It is widely rumored that SF is going to hit the FA market fast and furious. They are supposedly targeting defensive players, specifically LBs to bolster their depleted LB corp. Last year they wanted to run the 3-4 defense but injuries and lack of depth made that almost impossible.

I understand that but they may have difficulty signing 2 big name LBs if they want to address the rest of their needs. Most likely they'll get a big name LB (ie Adalius Thomas) and some smaller name ones as well.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
If we could sign just one free agent, Joey Porter would be my pick. He knows how to win and he knows how to finish a game. Something we are not very good at.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
We should give any FA linebacker a look cause other than Dansby, we have about the worst luck with 2nd and 3rd round linebackers. I am thinking Johnny Rutlege, Raynoch Thompson, and Levar Fischer here. Those were some prized picks in the second round

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
I could see this happening... We have Whisenhunt (Sp?) now and he used to be in Pitt. I could see him bring in a guy or two from before...