The rich get richer...

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, you haven't been watching football for more than ~5 years or so, right? I don't mean that in a way to invalidate your thoughts here, just that you wouldn't have been watching when Kaepernick took over as the starter for the 49ers and then was absolutely electric. He looked like the next big thing, and almost won the Super Bowl. In 2013, he picked up where he left off. By 2014/2015, teams began to figure him out. But for two years, he was running one of the better teams in the league, and people considered him the reason the offense ascended over Alex Smith. Now, they had a dominant rushing attack, so Colin didn't have to put the ball in the air as much, but he was considered good.

Bortles is the opposite. His teams were always well behind, and it's partly because he turned the ball over so incredibly much. Not a single year under 10 interceptions.

As Matthew Berry used to say, "he'll Bortles his way to fantasy relevance for you," which became a term for getting production in nothing but garbage time. I don't love QBR as a reference normally, but if you want the comparison between Bortles and Kaep, take a look there. Bortles' is so low because his production was irrelevant in games.

I've been watching long enough to catch Kaep's career was always hype. He was never good. He got a ridiculous amount of hype in his 2012 season. I assume off the back of Cam Newton and a craze for athletic QB's that could run.

Kaep basically rode an elite defense and a running game to the Super Bowl. He wasn't absolutely electric, what he did have, all this is the basis for all Kaep's career hype, was 3 good post season games in 2012. That's it.

He was at best league average for 3 years before becoming a bottom 5 QB.

Kaep has always been hype over substance. He was a good story. The tattoos, the hair, being adopted, not wanting to meet his birth mom etc etc. All that media coverage glossed over how bad he was in reality. It's one of the reason's he's out of the league. Who want's a poor quality backup that's scheme specific that brings all that media baggage (even prior to 2016)? It's the same reason Cam Newton is unlikely to ever be a backup and may well be done in the league.

For me, the only difference between Bortles and Kaep was that Bortles always had the expectations that came with being the #3 pick and Kaep had that playoff run where he looked great which is what people remember over all the average to below average stuff he put on the field.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This actually makes a TON of sense now.

Actually I've been watching football much longer. What I said in the past that Solar7 misremembered was that I only honed in on being a Cards fan around 2013. Before that I watched the NFL but didn't have a particular team.

Last edited:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How many qb s had a great playoff run without being any good
Flacco, foles, dilfer etc etc
Koepernick with his athleticism and surrounded with a great defense has been good in that run
But when he had to confirm the expactions he failed, long before the buzz around him for kneeling
Bortles has been really bad, but played also for a bad team
Certainly(Koepernick) he probably deserved at least a back up job but we don't know his asking price

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even if he started later it seems he put a lot of passion on this game and he is pretty well documented

Solar sometimes come with some takes, that make me wondering if he really watches full games

So in the end of the day doesn't matter for many years u followed it but how
Even though I disagree with Solar on a lot of things, at least he’s able to form his opinions by what he has seen. He doesn’t base opinions off of PFF or highlight videos 24/7. He’s his own man. You can’t say that about everyone.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even though I disagree with Solar on a lot of things, at least he’s able to form his opinions by what he has seen. He doesn’t base opinions off of PFF or highlight videos 24/7. He’s his own man. You can’t say that about everyone.

Yes, I know
Basically I watch just Cardinals games so I don't know a lot about every players, I know a lot about our players and our main opponents , otherwise I just get in some highlights
PFF grades i read them just here but normally aren't that far away regarding some positions
Solar sometimes makes some statements, the are more on previous games then actual games, that's all

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't base my opinions off PFF grades or highlight videos. I don't know how many times I have to tell you. I've dismissed PFF here several times, especially this season. It is however still of some use, especially when looking at historical performances. Even if you disagree with their methods it's the same every year so should at least show progression or regression.

And on the football front, I probably watch more football than you. I'm not restricted by the costly US market. I have game pass and get all games live. I have Sky sports who broadcast 4 live games a week.

If you don't agree with my opinions thats fine, but don't try to make out they aren't informed opinions.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I've been watching long enough to catch Kaep's career was always hype. He was never good. He got a ridiculous amount of hype in his 2012 season. I assume off the back of Cam Newton and a craze for athletic QB's that could run.

Kaep basically rode an elite defense and a running game to the Super Bowl. He wasn't absolutely electric, what he did have, all this is the basis for all Kaep's career hype, was 3 good post season games in 2012. That's it.

He was at best league average for 3 years before becoming a bottom 5 QB.

Kaep has always been hype over substance. He was a good story. The tattoos, the hair, being adopted, not wanting to meet his birth mom etc etc. All that media coverage glossed over how bad he was in reality. It's one of the reason's he's out of the league. Who want's a poor quality backup that's scheme specific that brings all that media baggage (even prior to 2016)? It's the same reason Cam Newton is unlikely to ever be a backup and may well be done in the league.

For me, the only difference between Bortles and Kaep was that Bortles always had the expectations that came with being the #3 pick and Kaep had that playoff run where he looked great which is what people remember over all the average to below average stuff he put on the field.
Kaep ran for nearly 200 yards and accounted for 4 TDs in one game in that playoff run. He genuinely played pretty well in that Super Bowl as well. It's okay to say the guy diminished but give him credit for a couple years of good play, man.

Actually I've been watching football much longer. What I said in the past that Solar7 misremembered was that I only honed in on being a Cards fan around 2013. Before that I watched the NFL but didn't have a particular team.
Just to reiterate, I didn't mean any disrespect by that.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Thanks. I follow the league as a whole to the point it can be overwhelming. I try to own up to when I'm wrong, especially because I'm such an avid fantasy football player that sometimes I can overlook defensive standout players. Living in Vegas and previously being a Cardinals season ticket holder does have some merit to what @juza76 is saying, I'm normally catching the game at a bar or in person, and unable to get the benefit of broadcast coverage. But I love the Cards more than just about any hobby in my life, so I like to think I do a pretty good job of remaining informed and getting a feel for how we look.

I try to keep myself honest with stats to back up my intuition, because that's what I do for a living.