OFF REB - 8th
DEF REB - 7th
TOT REB - 9th

AST - 2nd
TO - 3rd worst in the league

STL - Last in league
BLK - 27th
PF - 2nd fewest in league

WOW. There's a lot to like about these stats! We can all see the resurgence of SSOL, but it's nice to see our return to the top of the mountain in scoring, shooting percentages and three pointers.

But 9th in FTA? Nice!!! The Classic SSOL Suns teams were never big on getting to the line outside of Amare. And we're doing this without Shaq! The reason is our energy guys Dudley, Dragic and Amundson who have combined for 70 FTA. Unfortunately they're only shooting about 60% from the line. That's what's bringing the team FT% down. I love the bench guys getting to the line, let's hope they can cash in more often.

The rebounding stats... exhilarating. After 4 years of the fans screaming for the Suns to grab a freakin' rebound, they're FINALLY doing it! And all it took was the exit of The Matrix and Big Cactus, replaced by SparkDud and Frye Tyme. Go figure.

At our fast pace, a ton of turnovers is a problem but not unexpected. Hopefully this stat will improve once Amare really gets in his groove. The turnovers don't look as bad in light of the Suns being 2nd in assists.

Our Steals and Blocks are way down. Again considering the fast pace this is a problem. With so many possessions you'd figure the Suns could come up with more steals and blocks. However a better way to look at defense is in the point differential...

Suns score 111.30 points
Suns allow 107.10 points
Point differential 4.20, good for 10th in the league.
Suns allow 48% FG shooting and 40% 3PT shooting, 5th/4th worst in the league.
Percentage differentials: +0.6% FG shooting and +5% 3PT shooting.

Does the percentage differential mean that we're winning games only because of our 3pt shooting?! I'm not sure. Interesting that we've got the best record in the league but are 10th in differential. I figure it's because in our only 2 losses we got blown out hard.

Finally, personal fouls. We are rarely fouling. Again looking at our fast pace, I'd say we are allowing a lot of easy layups by not fouling. But reducing opponent second chances by rebounding better is what's really important here. Nothing worse than getting your 2nd personal in the first quarter fouling an opponent as he does a putback dunk.

All hail the return of SSOL! You guys have any thoughts about these stats?

Last edited:

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
OFF REB - 8th
Going into the season, I don't think anyone would have believed this one. Here are our ranks in this category over the last four seasons:

2008-09: 16th
2007-08: 30th
2006-07: 30th
2005-06: 30th

Adding Shaq helped to move us from dead last in the league to the middle, but who would have thought that without Marion and Shaq we'd be holding our own on the glass, and on both ends of the floor.

Our leading offensive rebounders so far:

Stoudemire: 2.5
Amundson: 2.3
Dudley: 1.8
Hill: 1.7
Richardson: 1.1

cly2tw

Reaction score
I don't think SSOL is back. Or else, we wouldn't be only 9th in FGA. It's just sales pitch to sell tickets, a catchy word in hope that fans would forget the bad last year. If one watches the game, s/he knows that we only run when there is a good chance for success. We are not trying to get the other team into a trackmeet DA's SSOL is all about, and wisely so given the age of our 2 captains.

OP
OP
The_Matrix

The_Matrix

Jump Program
Reaction score
Perhaps Griffin's stats and cly2tw's thoughts are connected. The major increase in offensive boards is exactly why this team is tweaked differently than the previous run and gun Suns teams.

With Shaq gone it's open for our most athletic swingmen Grant Hill and J-Rich to attack the paint both on offense and offensive rebounding.

Grant Hill: From 4.9 RPG last year to 7.7 so far this year in the same minutes per game.
J-Rich: 4.5 RPG to 5.6 this year in the same minutes.

And the rebounding effort doesn't fade when Dudley and Lou come in off the bench.

The question is, why couldn't this happen in past years with the SSOL offense? Was the problem really Marion/Shaq? Hmmmmmmm............. one of those Ewing theory situations where the guy who is most known for rebounding and gets the most accolades is really bringing the team down?!

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I think it's just that Gentry has made them accountable and expects them to be better at offensive rebounding.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Going into the season, I don't think anyone would have believed this one. Here are our ranks in this category over the last four seasons:

2008-09: 16th
2007-08: 30th
2006-07: 30th
2005-06: 30th

Adding Shaq helped to move us from dead last in the league to the middle, but who would have thought that without Marion and Shaq we'd be holding our own on the glass, and on both ends of the floor.

Our leading offensive rebounders so far:

Stoudemire: 2.5
Amundson: 2.3
Dudley: 1.8
Hill: 1.7
Richardson: 1.1

Defensive rebounding too. It's amazing what happens when a coach demands that all three frontline players crash the boards.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Perhaps Griffin's stats and cly2tw's thoughts are connected. The major increase in offensive boards is exactly why this team is tweaked differently than the previous run and gun Suns teams.

With Shaq gone it's open for our most athletic swingmen Grant Hill and J-Rich to attack the paint both on offense and offensive rebounding.

Grant Hill: From 4.9 RPG last year to 7.7 so far this year in the same minutes per game.
J-Rich: 4.5 RPG to 5.6 this year in the same minutes.

And the rebounding effort doesn't fade when Dudley and Lou come in off the bench.

The question is, why couldn't this happen in past years with the SSOL offense? Was the problem really Marion/Shaq? Hmmmmmmm............. one of those Ewing theory situations where the guy who is most known for rebounding and gets the most accolades is really bringing the team down?!

The DAntoni SSOL offense did not emphasize rebounding and encourage the front line player farthest from the hoop at the time of the shot to leak out for the break. Gentry has demanded that all three front line players crash the boards. That extra body just makes a huge difference.

But in our case, it looks like the guards are getting into it as well. I haven't checked the stats, but it looks to me like Nash is even rebounding more.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The improvement in rebounding is directly proportionate to the decrease in fast break points. Like somebody said everybody is crashing the boards so nobody is left to run the break. The Suns are scoring all their points in the half court offense.

This approach should keep the old guys fresh and is pretty much the way you play during the post season.

cly2tw

Reaction score
The improvement in rebounding is directly proportionate to the decrease in fast break points. Like somebody said everybody is crashing the boards so nobody is left to run the break. The Suns are scoring all their points in the half court offense.

This approach should keep the old guys fresh and is pretty much the way you play during the post season.

That's been my point all along. Nash giving up a little more ball handling duty would help in the same way. It looks like we are legitimate this season. And it'd be sad to see our old bodies wear out when playoffs come around.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Essentially what you are seeing is SSOL with the minor tweaks that for whatever reason D'Antoni refused to make or just flat couldn't make. I refuse to shout "this is our year!" but this is certainly a more well rounded, yet still high flying system.