The Reader

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Reader

Release Date: December 10, 2008 (NY, LA, SF; expands: Dec. 25; wide: Jan. 9, 2009)
Studio: The Weinstein Company
Director: Stephen Daldry
Screenwriter: David Hare
Genre: Drama, Romance
MPAA Rating: R (for some scenes of sexuality and nudity)

Starring: Ralph Fiennes, Kate Winslet, David Kross, Lena Olin, Bruno Ganz, Alexandra Maria Lara

Plot Summary: "The Reader" opens in post-WWII Germany when teenager Michael Berg becomes ill and is helped home by Hanna, a stranger twice his age. Michael recovers from scarlet fever and seeks out Hanna to thank her. The two are quickly drawn into a passionate but secretive affair.

Michael discovers that Hanna loves being read to and their physical relationship deepens. Hanna is enthralled as Michael reads to her from "The Odyssey," "Huck Finn," and "The Lady with the Little Dog." Despite their intense bond, Hanna mysteriously disappears one day and Michael is left confused and heartbroken.

Eight years later, while Michael is a law student observing the Nazi war crime trials, he is stunned to find Hanna back in his life – this time as a defendant in the courtroom. As Hanna's past is revealed, Michael uncovers a deep secret that will impact both of their lives. "The Reader" is a haunting story about truth and reconciliation, about how one generation comes to terms with the crimes of another.

You must be registered for see images

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good show. Glad I didn't read this review. Way too many spoilers. Not a great show, but interesting.

And not a blatant ripoff of Forrest Gump like Benjamin Button.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button was written in 1922. Forrest Gump was written in 1986.
When was the movie screenplay written? The movie stuck in many historical references since 1922. See Button thread for my "analysis."

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kate Winslett - mmmmmmmmmm................

Apparently she is quite nekkid in this film. Or so I have heard. It almost seems like two stories in one. I'll wait for video.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great film and tons of teh nekkid.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
I think the 2nd half of the movie, i.e. court room scenes, were absolutly amazing. Those scenes put it in my top movies of the year.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this today. I have such a girl-crush on Kate Winslet. I just adore her. Thought she did wonderful in this movie, as did the young kiddo (such a cutie!). Overall, I liked it.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Thought it was excellent. Winslet definitely deserved her Best Actress award. She was great and Ralph Fiennes was solid, as always.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this was an okay movie. "Ray" Fiennes was just okay. He was better in In Bruges.

I think some parts of this movie were much better than others.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this was an okay movie. "Ray" Fiennes was just okay. He was better in In Bruges.

I think some parts of this movie were much better than others.

Totally agree.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish Farrah could have made this movie 30 years ago. It would have totally rocked!!

While Kate is more talented BY FAR as an actress. The part would have been WAY more enjoyable with Farrah playing it! :)

Kate = not so hot (but talented)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Very solid movie all around. Kate was spectacular, as always. It dragged a bit at times, but it was certainly well made. Great to see Bruno Ganz again in a movie.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very solid movie all around. Kate was spectacular, as always. It dragged a bit at times, but it was certainly well made. Great to see Bruno Ganz again in a movie.
Bruno Ganz rules. See Vitus. Great movie.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave