The RB room

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw highlights not the game so I didn't see it all but it seems to me the big difference on offense from last year is the absence of Chase means we don't really have much "wiggle" at RB? I suspect the reason Eno is getting hyped is he's really the one RB on the roster that figures to play that has any wiggle.

Conner is not a wiggle guy, he's good at what he does but no wiggle. I like Ward, very physical runner but again we don't see much wiggle. Ingram looks very physical, very little wiggle. Even Eno is known more for breaking tackles than avoiding them.

Not saying it's a negative just over the last 2 years lots of drives were extended by Chase's ability to make someone miss and get a few more yards. And I suspect that's why we're hearing talk of more carries for Rondale Moore, they might see him as the wiggle guy.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I agree with the assessment.. I loved Eno at ASU, but I definitely would not consider him really a wiggle guy/explosive back. We don’t have that on the roster, but also not sure if we need that on this roster/offensive scheme because of the added speed we have with WRs. Hollywood and Rondale will add a different dynamic to the offense this year. Kirk had straight line speed, but was never a good open field runner let alone a guy who got much separation period. I imagine (or hoping) that Hollywood and the proper utilization of Moore will more than fill the gap that we lost with Edmonds on 3rd downs.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
But, in recent years, we'd complete a six yard pass on first down and then fail to pick up a first down with two runs. With these RB's. I feel confident about moving the chains, even if we don't have a home run hitter. At least, that is how I see it.
But you really only need one or two guys that can do that, not an entire stable.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the running backs the Cardinals have. Some hard decisions will have to be made.

Although Eno doesn't have a lot of wiggle in his running style he does have nice lateral movement and a good burst of speed when there is an opening.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ouchie, I guess there is a possibility of picking up a speed guy in a trade. Our present RB's seem to be able to pass block. also. JMO.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Williams maybe? I don't know enough about him to know if he is different than the rest.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say if the 49ers cut hasty, which is quite possible, the Cards might seriously consider picking him up just to have a quick back on the roster. Not saying he's great but he does have an element we don't have on the roster now.

But I'm of the opinion Kliff may have a reason for the RB room he has he doesn't want small RB's.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I would say if the 49ers cut hasty, which is quite possible, the Cards might seriously consider picking him up just to have a quick back on the roster. Not saying he's great but he does have an element we don't have on the roster now.

But I'm of the opinion Kliff may have a reason for the RB room he has he doesn't want small RB's.
Might be something to that...can't have a bunch of tiny RB's when you already have a stable of tiny WR's. Someone has to be physical on the field.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The lack of explosiveness is a concern. I can think of several plays where Edmonds impacted a drive significantly. I’m surprised with all the RBs out there, the Cards didn’t take a flyer on a breakaway back.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The lack of explosiveness is a concern. I can think of several plays where Edmonds impacted a drive significantly. I’m surprised with all the RBs out there, the Cards didn’t take a flyer on a breakaway back.
Kliff has said Rondale will be used all over the field this year. I’d expect to see him, Dortch or Isabella get a couple carries a game.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kliff has said Rondale will be used all over the field this year. I’d expect to see him, Dortch or Isabella get a couple carries a game.

That's my assumption too Kliff wants bigger RB's, for pass blocking and short yardage, and has decided to use Rondale as the quick guy. My only fear with that is Rondale getting hurt but it does make some sense he's very elusive. I expect him to line up in the backfield quite a bit this year I don't think he'll be getting the carries Deebo gets mind you but I do think the 49ers use of Deebo opened some eyes.

Teh funny thing is I read that Shanahan sort of got that idea looking at how the Falcons used Corrderale Patterson, he said Deebo's a much better WR but he's a pretty good RB too that makes some sense. Copycat league I expect us to line up Rondale in the backfield he'll get some carries but I think with him it'll be more about trying to get a mismatch where he has a LB or Safety on him man to man because he's in the backfield.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deebo doesn't want that. Concerned about injuries.

yeah that was the basis of his wanting a new deal the risk.

INteresting I was watching a 49er show over the weekend and they did one of those film breakdown segments as to why the Deebo in the backfield is so effective. It's not just that he's really good it's that because he's a WR not a RB when he lines up in the backfield there often is no RB on the field. So teams that normally play an extra safety down in the box against them because of their run game are afraid to do that because of the extra WR. So they either play the safety back making it easer to run, or they play the safety halfway. So there's either one less or a "half" less defender in the box against the run.

Seems like we can do the same thing with Rondale but you certainly don't want to run him anywhere near as much as SF ran Deebo