The Plan

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The problem with many owners, especially owners who like to play GM and be in the building and involved in everything, is that really they aren't fussed about winning the Superbowl. Winning the Superbowl is hard work. It takes a lot of effort on all fronts, near perfection even. 31 teams don't win it every year.

What they care about is making money, followed closely by having a bit of fun and not working too hard while doing it. Who among us wouldn't like a day job playing football daddy with your buddies while raking in millions no matter what?

So it's not surprising millionaires making millions while having a good old time don't want to upset the apple cart by bringing in new people, with new ideas and new ways they expect to work.

The only time they mix things up is when they stop having fun for too long.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The problem with many owners, especially owners who like to play GM and be in the building and involved in everything, is that really they aren't fussed about winning the Superbowl. Winning the Superbowl is hard work. It takes a lot of effort on all fronts, near perfection even. 31 teams don't win it every year.

What they care about is making money, followed closely by having a bit of fun and not working too hard while doing it. Who among us wouldn't like a day job playing football daddy with your buddies while raking in millions no matter what?

So it's not surprising millionaires making millions while having a good old time don't want to upset the apple cart by bringing in new people, with new ideas and new ways they expect to work.

The only time they mix things up is when they stop having fun for too long.
...eeehhh...yes and no.

little known fact. For the longest time, the Cardinals had the destinction of being the only team in pro sports in which the team owners only income was football. The Bidwills never owned any microsoft, or oil fields, or even car dealerships...just the Cardinals. Thats why the stadium was/is/made such a huge difference in the teams ability to bring in better free agents. The concessions you see... is just about the only revenue the team gets to keep. everything else goes into the NFL pool and gets split...except stadium revenues...which until SFS was built... the Redbirds were not getting, ASU was.

so while I understand your point and agree with the basic premise... Mike Bidwill has more money to work with now than he has ever had. He isnt accustomed to the "Billionaire Lifestyle" like most NFL owners. The fact that he went out and got that plane should show he has more money than he has ever had,..I mean, on one hand you could see it as he bought himself a huge toy because he loves planes and flying is his hobby....but..., color me naive I guess.... I honestly think Mike is doing his best to change the culture and the image of the team... trying to become a well respected organization,...and the best way to do that is to start winning games.

the problem is,.... he was raised and taught to be loyal. an admirable trait... fantastic if you are one of his guys. But unfortunate if you are a fan expecting a change at GM... because I guarantee you, Mike will have to be 100 percent convinced that Keim cant get it done before he ever fires him..... then Keim makes these splash deals...JJ Watt, CJ55, DHop,.. hell, even Rodney Hudson... they are exciting....gives a guy giddy feelings about the possibilities. The adrenaline from those kinda deals has to be a little intoxicating and it ties all Mikes positive feelings for the team directly to steve keim.... like a sick co dependent relationship, lol.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
For the longest time, the Cardinals had the destinction of being the only team in pro sports in which the team owners only income was football.
this isnt entirely true

many of the old time owners only gig was their team: the Rooneys in Pittsburgh, the Maras in NY, McCaskeys in Chi

Bill Sr's issue was that unlike the others, he wasnt good at being an owner. Mike is better, but still not upper tier.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
...eeehhh...yes and no.

little known fact. For the longest time, the Cardinals had the destinction of being the only team in pro sports in which the team owners only income was football. The Bidwills never owned any microsoft, or oil fields, or even car dealerships...just the Cardinals. Thats why the stadium was/is/made such a huge difference in the teams ability to bring in better free agents. The concessions you see... is just about the only revenue the team gets to keep. everything else goes into the NFL pool and gets split...except stadium revenues...which until SFS was built... the Redbirds were not getting, ASU was.

so while I understand your point and agree with the basic premise... Mike Bidwill has more money to work with now than he has ever had. He isnt accustomed to the "Billionaire Lifestyle" like most NFL owners. The fact that he went out and got that plane should show he has more money than he has ever had,..I mean, on one hand you could see it as he bought himself a huge toy because he loves planes and flying is his hobby....but..., color me naive I guess.... I honestly think Mike is doing his best to change the culture and the image of the team... trying to become a well respected organization,...and the best way to do that is to start winning games.

the problem is,.... he was raised and taught to be loyal. an admirable trait... fantastic if you are one of his guys. But unfortunate if you are a fan expecting a change at GM... because I guarantee you, Mike will have to be 100 percent convinced that Keim cant get it done before he ever fires him..... then Keim makes these splash deals...JJ Watt, CJ55, DHop,.. hell, even Rodney Hudson... they are exciting....gives a guy giddy feelings about the possibilities. The adrenaline from those kinda deals has to be a little intoxicating and it ties all Mikes positive feelings for the team directly to steve keim.... like a sick co dependent relationship, lol.

I'm not saying Mike doesn't have the best interests of the team at heart, simply that his goals (like most owners) are different than ours.

He makes millions no matter what. As long as the team is winning enough he has no reason to mess up his comfortable life where the GM doesn't complain about his hand in every pie.

The fact that this is all the Bidwill's have is exactly why it will always be the same. He's interested in improving within his sphere of comfort. He's not interested in doing whatever it takes to win a superbowl.

Last edited:

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
...eeehhh...yes and no.

I beieve the Bidwills still have interests in race tracks

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
...eeehhh...yes and no.

I also think it depends on the owner. Jerry Jones knows everyone already knows he’s loaded. He hates looking like a loser, which is why he’s such a puppet master of his coaches. And yet, he never seems to take the blame for the teams failures even though he controls everything.

Let’s be honest, these owners are running a business and it’s embarrassing if that business looks like a failure. They all have egos. Nobody wants to be the Owner of Kruger Industrial Smoothing.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like the premise of t his thread.

But I'm not sure you can use it to 100% predict outcomes.

I agree that MB is an enlightened offspring of a rich pro football family who does his best to build his team by doing the right things. But being a good guy...a smart guy...a committed guy doesn automatically hand him the keys to the Super Bowl.

It will take the combination of luck, good intentions and football knowledge - at varying levels at varying times to back into a Super Bowl...and this combination is everchanging and involves good luck (& the absence of bad luck).

And so we expect our owners to act creatively and ethically and maybe/just maybe they'll catch a lucky break.

But that doesn't make them Einstein or mean that "bad guys don't occasionaly win."

And so you hope your owner does the right thing (the best he can) and that the dice finally rolls in his favor,

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
...eeehhh...yes and no.

I agree and when people Mike doesn't care about winning I disagree. As you stated about the confessions revenue, think about what he lost by us not having a home game. Parking is another non-sharable revenue. Cards late season collapse cost the family a lot of money. And that is probably why he's PO'D

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree and when people Mike doesn't care about winning I disagree. As you stated about the confessions revenue, think about what he lost by us not having a home game. Parking is another non-sharable revenue. Cards late season collapse cost the family a lot of money. And that is probably why he's PO'D

He cares about winning to a point. As long as we win within his zone of comfort.

He doesn't care enough to do what it takes to actually be a contender which would involve taking a wrecking ball to the comfortable cabal of buddies he's built up around him.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm not saying Mike doesn't have the best interests of the team at heart, simply that his goals (like most owners) are different than ours.

He makes millions no matter what. As long as the team is winning enough he has no reason to mess up his comfortable life where the GM doesn't complain about his hand in every pie.

The fact that this is all the Bidwill's have is exactly why it will always be the same. He's interested in improving within his sphere of comfort. He's not interested in doing whatever it takes to win a superbowl.

Whatever it takes?

As you say, the Bidwill's receive millions per year as owners come what may, which means that Mike B. is free to act as he sees fit in the interests of the team. He doesn't need KEIM for comfort; he can buy that in a GM anytime he chooses.

It's funny how some argue one moment that Mike is too handsy and should step back and in the next that he's merely an insecure owner under the sway of his GM.

Mike B. manages an enterprise within Cap limits and that cramps the 'whatever it takes' arguments.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Whatever it takes?

As you say, the Bidwill's receive millions per year as owners come what may, which means that Mike B. is free to act as he sees fit in the interests of the team. He doesn't need KEIM for comfort; he can buy that in a GM anytime he chooses.

It's funny how some argue one moment that Mike is too handsy and should step back and in the next that he's merely an insecure owner under the sway of his GM.

Mike B. manages an enterprise within Cap limits and that cramps the 'whatever it takes' arguments.

That's backwards. He sticks with Keim because Keim puts up with his constant interfering in everything.

He doesn't want an outside GM that would expect to run things his own way.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That's backwards. He sticks with Keim because Keim puts up with his constant interfering in everything.

He doesn't want an outside GM that would expect to run things his own way.
Given your highly speculative premise on this issue, I'll stick with mine as every bit as valid.

And I don't know of any privately owned enterprise where the guy who signs the cheques doesn't get the last word.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose