The Paul Principle

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Years ago Laurence Peter wrote a book titled the Peter Principle. The premise was simple; people were promoted for doing well in their current job rather than their probability to handle their promotion. Of course when the new job requires greater skill, failure is quite common.

Michael Lombardi has a great article in The Athletic wherein he says the current concept of hiring a head coach for a specific skill and surrounding him with anointed assistants has failed as a model. His scathing analysis of the Jets Sunday loss is his primary example. Gase got the job on the condition he make Williams his DC. At first I thought, yeah that’s what the Cardinals did.

Then I realized the Cards issue was even dumber. Not only did they select at least some of the surrounding coaches, they went a step further than the Peter Principle. They chose a coach failing in his latest job and promoted him to the highest, most competitive level of that job. So, I’ve dubbed it the Paul Principle. You promote a failure in the belief he’ll be better at a higher level of that job. How could that fail?

Rocky aside, putting a guy in a heavyweight championship fight based on his punching power in Golden Gloves is just a promotion to fool the public. That Golden Gloves guy will take a beating. I afraid that’s what we are witnessing now. Kingsbury simply getting out-coached, week to week. He may be learning but I don’t expect Murray to stick around to see how it turns out.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol

KK sucks!!!!

hey don’t you guys got a top ten offense with a second year QB who might throw for 4,000 yards and Rush for 1,000 with more rushing TD than INTs something no other QB had ever done.

he sucks!!!

our defense is really bad and injured plus our kicker has cost us like 3 games.

oh I only pay attention to offense and I think it’s totally realistic we score 50 points a game. Fire everybody

Reaction score
Harry I normally 100% agree with a lot of what you say... But not this time.

Could coaching be better? Absolutely. But if you think for 1 second that Kyler's shoulder isn't bugging him and they are worried it's going to knock him out for the rest of the year if it takes a big hit then you are watching with your eyes closed.

Is KK the best coach in the league? No. Absolutely not. Is he at the very least average when his QB is healthy... I think it's hard not to say yes. It's mind blowing how many people are overreacting when it's obviously Kyler's shoulder isn't right.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Years ago Laurence Peter wrote a book titled the Peter Principle. The premise was simple; people were promoted for doing well in their current job rather than their probability to handle their promotion. Of course when the new job requires greater skill, failure is quite common.

Michael Lombardi has a great article in The Athletic wherein he says the current concept of hiring a head coach for a specific skill and surrounding him with anointed assistants has failed as a model. His scathing analysis of the Jets Sunday loss is his primary example. Gase got the job on the condition he make Williams his DC. At first I thought, yeah that’s what the Cardinals did.

Then I realized the Cards issue was even dumber. Not only did they select at least some of the surrounding coaches, they went a step further than the Peter Principle. They chose a coach failing in his latest job and promoted him to the highest, most competitive level of that job. So, I’ve dubbed it the Paul Principle. You promote a failure in the belief he’ll be better at a higher level of that job. How could that fail?

Rocky aside, putting a guy in a heavyweight championship fight based on his punching power in Golden Gloves is just a promotion to fool the public. That Golden Gloves guy will take a beating. I afraid that’s what we are witnessing now. Kingsbury simply getting out-coached, week to week. He may be learning but I don’t expect Murray to stick around to see how it turns out.

I think they compounded the problem more when they drafted a QB based on the failed coach's recommendation that he can produce a high octane offense with this QB. A QB he fell in love with since high school. I know I will catch some flack and be called a Murray hater, but that's okay because the shortcomings in Murray's game are starting to surface.

I think this is more an indictment of Keim and Bidwill swallowing the bait hook line and sinker casted by Kingsbury and I honestly think Keim talked himself into taking Murray more than making a decision based on what he saw on tape. I think Keim may have seen it as his get out of jail card. Hey we hired Kingsbury based on what he told us he could deliver and gave him the player(s) he wanted and he failed, not my fault. We delivered what he asked for and he failed, time to move on to the next coach.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Could coaching be better? Absolutely. But if you think for 1 second that Kyler's shoulder isn't bugging him and they are worried it's going to knock him out for the rest of the year if it takes a big hit then you are watching with your eyes closed.

Is KK the best coach in the league? No. Absolutely not. Is he at the very least average when his QB is healthy... I think it's hard not to say yes. It's mind blowing how many people are overreacting when it's obviously Kyler's shoulder isn't right.
KK isn't stepping up to the challenge of how to adjust to teams who change strategies and what to do when your young star QB goes into a Deep Funk.

All boils down to what do you when your team craters?

Either KK gets it fixed or he'll be pointed toward the door at the end of the season.

This isn't a plea to MB to fire KK. It's a plea to Klif to get things fixed before it's too late. Within this context - I think KK has what it takes to set things straight. But will he?

Reaction score
KK isn't stepping up to the challenge of how to adjust to teams who change strategies and what to do when your young star QB goes into a Deep Funk.

Either KK gets it fixed or he'll be pointed toward the door at the end of the season.

This isn't a plea to MB to fire KK. It's a plea to Klif to get things fixed before it's too late. Within this context - I think KK has what it takes to set things straight. But will he?

Do we have the talent to overcome Kyler not being 100%? I certainly do not think so...

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still think we need a DC. Think of how much better this team would be with a top DC. Why do we have to put up 30 points to win.

100%

I mean when was the last time we really destroyed an offensive line. I Don’t know the stats but it seems we rarely get interceptions or cause fumbles

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not sure why he keeps beating this same drum over and over again... We definitely don't need new posts each time he has something bad to say about KK.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

On point :raccoon:

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score

The Cards have split with Seattle who has a winning record and the Bills with a miracle pass. Other than that they have only beaten teams with a losing record (when they played)and they lost to 3 of those. They lost to Detroit, Carolina and Miami with a healthy Murray. BTW assuming you’re right if they protect Murray until they're eliminated, what’s the point. Is he risking permanent injury? This in the NFL. By the second half most regular players are playing hurt. Is KK average? I’m not convinced. .

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The Cards have split with Seattle who has a winning record and the Bills with a miracle pass. Other than that they have only beaten teams with a losing record (when they played)and they lost to 3 of those. They lost to Detroit, Carolina and Miami with a healthy Murray. BTW assuming you’re right if they protect Murray until they're eliminated, what’s the point. Is he risking permanent injury? This in the NFL. By the second half most regular players are playing hurt. Is KK average? I’m not convinced. .

Two separate arguments are under consideration here:

1) Murray doesn’t play well through physical discomfort. We have two late-season swoons from Murray pointing to this being the case. No NFL players are feeling good in December; Murray has to find a way to dig deep and push through.

2) Kliff can’t do the job as head coach. Maybe? There’s a consensus forming that when Adam Gase and Anthony Lynn get fired, Kliff will be the worst HC in the league. He’s definitely the worst situational head coach in the division right now. The expectation was that he could make up for this with exceptional offensive design and execution that hasn’t consistently materialized. Kliff HAS TO become a better game manager, but it’s worth remembering that the Cards have made a great leap in red-zone efficiency from last year; I think it’s clear that Kliff kan learn.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
The Giants’ defense just finished containing Wilson. Who feels confident Kingsbury can create a game plan that wins this game? The Cards’s defense better come ready to play against either QB as I don’t see the Cards scoring more than 20 unless they get some turnovers. This has the makings of another painful game.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It's not obvious at all. He wasn't even on the injury report last week and the NFL rules state any noteworthy injury must be on the report even if they practice fully and will play on Sunday.

He threw of 266 yards, 2 TD's and a 102 passer rating in the Seattle game after the injury.

Kyler wasn't playing well before the minor injury. It's become a convenient excuse for fans.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe Kliff is a talented, intelligent, hard working, knowledgeable offensive mind.

Sadly, he is slow to learn, weak under pressure, poor at game management, poor at motivation, schematically limited, poor at play calling and worst of all married to a scheme that clearly isn't working and incapable of changing it.

He has many of the things that would make him a good OC (with a HC to help guide him) and very few of the things required of a good HC.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are not throwing far enough downfield on first down.

We are not inserting enough crossing patterns in our attack
We are failing to exploit a weakness. Did we run the td plat to Arnold a second time? How many times have we been aggravated by an opponent running the same play successfully. I.E. Higbey for 9 yards in the right flat. Seems like the Rams ran that play 30 times.

Kyler needs to be under center at least SOME of the time. And we need to huddle up SOME of the time. It would change the illusions of handoffs, play action and planned roll outs or moving pockets.

JMHO.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA