the one overlooked stat that explains everything:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
The stat line for Kenyan Drake over the last six games (team / carries / yards / avg):

SF 18/45 2.5
PHI 10/26 2.6
NYG 23/80 3.5
LAR 10/49 4.9
NE 22/78 3.5
SEA 11/29 2.6

first 8 games of this season, KD had 135/612 4.5

while there are better defenses over the last six games -- the running game has been bad. We have seen it in the form of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th and shorts that have failed. But the lack of running game means the team is constantly in 2nd or 3rd and long. K1 has to play at a very high level for the offense to be successful -- he cant just be "good"

I think this is both KD and the o-line. The o-line has been pretty mediocre over the last two months

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The stat line for Kenyan Drake over the last six games (team / carries / yards / avg):

SF 18/45 2.5
PHI 10/26 2.6
NYG 23/80 3.5
LAR 10/49 4.9
NE 22/78 3.5
SEA 11/29 2.6

first 8 games of this season, KD had 135/612 4.5

while there are better defenses over the last six games -- the running game has been bad. We have seen it in the form off the 2nd, 3rd and 4th and shorts that have failed. But the lack of running game means the team is constantly in 2nd or 3rd and long. K1 has to play at a very high level for the offense to be successful -- he cant just be "good"

I think this is both KD and the o-line. The o-line has been pretty mediocre over the last two months

I think it's largely Drake although the OL and Kyler have not been great. When Kyler is running well it opens up the run game for Drake etc because they have to account for Kyler. the games where Kyler wasn't running, because of the shoulder, and he said they kept taking him on the RPO's, Drake was largely ineffective. I think Edmonds is better at that because he makes people miss Drake really doesn't. Kyler was reading the defense and giving the ball to Drake and they were stopping him, they were keying on the run, taking Kyler away.

I think when teams started scheming to stop Kyler from running, at the same time he himself was running less due to the shoulder, the assumption was Drake would pick up the slack and he didn't. Edmonds in those games is over 4 YPC in every game, but on far fewer carries. Then I think it got to a point where Kyler was probably handing off on plays he should have kept it because he was still worried about his shoulder, and that made it even harder for Drake.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think it's largely Drake although the OL and Kyler have not been great. When Kyler is running well it opens up the run game for Drake etc because they have to account for Kyler. the games where Kyler wasn't running, because of the shoulder, and he said they kept taking him on the RPO's, Drake was largely ineffective. I think Edmonds is better at that because he makes people miss Drake really doesn't. Kyler was reading the defense and giving the ball to Drake and they were stopping him, they were keying on the run, taking Kyler away.

I think when teams started scheming to stop Kyler from running, at the same time he himself was running less due to the shoulder, the assumption was Drake would pick up the slack and he didn't. Edmonds in those games is over 4 YPC in every game, but on far fewer carries. Then I think it got to a point where Kyler was probably handing off on plays he should have kept it because he was still worried about his shoulder, and that made it even harder for Drake.

If you need a qb to create runs for you, you are not a good running back in the slightest.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
When Drake has run calls that are in the middle, between the guards, he's way more successful than the wide option runs...they are too slow in developing...Lately, though, too Cole hasn't done a very good job of pulling or opening up run lanes in the middle.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When Drake has run calls that are in the middle, between the guards, he's way more successful than the wide option runs...they are too slow in developing...Lately, though, too Cole hasn't done a very good job of pulling or opening up run lanes in the middle.

There were a couple of plays Saturday where you could see Drake was mad. I couldn't tell if he was mad at the OL or mad at Kyler like why didn't you keep that one you read the defender wrong? Would be nice to know which, in fact it could be both the way the 49ers defended the run.

I go way back to OU during the wishbone years playing Miami. they kept running that option and Miami kept stopping whether the QB kept it, or handed it off, I forget which QB it was but the announcers kept saying the problem is Miami knows OU can't beat them by passing so they're not even worried about it which gives them extra defenders, the safeties, to stop the run. It seems like that's what SF did to us on Saturday, on the run plays they always had at least 1 safety up to stop it, and on the pass plays we were empty so much they just blitzed the safety.

They were not concerned we'd beat them over the top, we hit one long one and came close on some others but not consistent enough to make them stop doing that with the safeties.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
The
There were a couple of plays Saturday where you could see Drake was mad. I couldn't tell if he was mad at the OL or mad at Kyler like why didn't you keep that one you read the defender wrong? Would be nice to know which, in fact it could be both the way the 49ers defended the run.

I go way back to OU during the wishbone years playing Miami. they kept running that option and Miami kept stopping whether the QB kept it, or handed it off, I forget which QB it was but the announcers kept saying the problem is Miami knows OU can't beat them by passing so they're not even worried about it which gives them extra defenders, the safeties, to stop the run. It seems like that's what SF did to us on Saturday, on the run plays they always had at least 1 safety up to stop it, and on the pass plays we were empty so much they just blitzed the safety.

They were not concerned we'd beat them over the top, we hit one long one and came close on some others but not consistent enough to make them stop doing that with the safeties.

The easy way to stop this, is to add in RPO's from under center...and obviously, some deep routes, without going empty and/or also from under center. I think against the Giants and again against the Eagles, Chris Simms noted the Cards had Murray under center for a few more plays than usual...and he's been calling for that all season.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It seems like that's what SF did to us on Saturday, on the run plays they always had at least 1 safety up to stop it, and on the pass plays we were empty so much they just blitzed the safety.

They were not concerned we'd beat them over the top, we hit two long ones and came close on some others but not consistent enough to make them stop doing that with the safeties. I think the lack of a good consistent speed WR has hurt us. 38 yarder to Kirk, 45 yarder to Johnson but that was it, Arnold dropped one deep one and another that was a nice gain. Kyler missed Johnson open on one late threw to Kirk instead. Overthrew Fitz on one, overthrew Johnson on another.

I think the way SF defended us just said we don't think your WR's are fast enough to beat us over the top consistently, and we don't think you can make enough good throws to beat us over the top repeatedly with the WR's you do have so we're going to take our chances. and it worked

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With Drake the weird thing is he was so much better last year. Is that due to defense adjusting, or is he as I keep saying slower and looking to bounce out too much? I just see Edmonds making guys miss and getting more yards, Chase is 4.8 Drake is 4.0 and that's 4.2 and then 3.3 the last 2 months. Edmonds 4.1 and 4.5 the last 2 months, both with injuries.

I don't think Edmonds is an every down RB, I don't think the current version of Drake is worth keeping, it's why I keep bringing up Jermar Jefferson in the draft

OP
OP
football karma

football karma

Reaction score
With Drake the weird thing is he was so much better last year. Is that due to defense adjusting, or is he as I keep saying slower and looking to bounce out too much? I just see Edmonds making guys miss and getting more yards, Chase is 4.8 Drake is 4.0 and that's 4.2 and then 3.3 the last 2 months. Edmonds 4.1 and 4.5 the last 2 months, both with injuries.

I don't think Edmonds is an every down RB, I don't think the current version of Drake is worth keeping, it's why I keep bringing up Jermar Jefferson in the draft

i think there is a RB element to it.

Watching Chase run, you get the impression that he gets every yard out of the blocking. With KD- there are too many runs where it looked like there was more to yards to be had.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was sad to see, its a different game when you can punish a front 7 with that sort of power at rb

That one killed me. I had to replace my Robinson from JAX at RB at the last second, I picked up his replacement. I already had Ito Smith, I didn't like either guy. there was a note on Dillon in my league that might get more work and I nearly picked him up to start but in the end I went with Ito Smith who was the only one of the 3 who was the starter. Dillon would have tripled my score he got 28 more points than Smith did. I still might have lost my opponent still has Michel today and I'd have about an 8 point lead but that RB injury and choice killed me. And that he had Davante Adams.

Dillon sure looked impressive.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one stat that means more than everything:

We allowed 227 yard to a 3rd string QB. That is the worst stat of all. We KNEW they needed to run the ball effectively to win and we couldn't do anything about it.

The real fear is that we are up against the exact same scenario with a team that can run the ball better...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

As someone who has him on my fantasy team, I think that's largely about how few legit #1 RB's there are now. Drake has only missed 1 game I think, and in almost every game he played in he's the starter getting lots of carries, double digit every game, at least 15 in I think 10 games, you get that you're going to get fantasy points. 10 TD's is great but he's really not that good in the red zone look at the trouble we've had getting short yardage this year. he's had 58 carries inside the 10 yard line this year and 9 TD's, I'm not sure but that doesn't seem like a great ratio to me? There are a bunch of backs with better ratios and most of them don't have a QB like Murray who draws an extra defender in the redzone consistently. Gibson, Cook there's a half dozen guys with better ratios and more TD's.

I guess to be fair he doesn't get to play with a FB so he often has no lead blocker just the OL but I don't think he's bad, but I don't think he's worth throwing a ton of money at either.

The passing attempts is misleading in Miami he got way more targets but those were really bad teams, they were always behind so he got lots of catches in games they were behind in where they just give you short passes. He's pretty good at it but he hasn't been nearly as good as I expected in that part. He's a better runner than I thought he'd be though.

Also to be fair I really think you have to look at our run game and say with or without Maxx, he's such a good blocker I think it's obvious when he's not in you see plays where you just know having Maxx would have made a big difference.

For next week aside from Kyler, the 2 guys I REALLY want ot have back are Maxx and Jalen Thompson. Especially if Goff can't play, having Thompson who has so much more range at FS would really allow us to play Budda more in run defense.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say that we allowed 200 yards rushing to Wilson, which allowed a 3rd string QB to beat us.

I wording may have implied that Beathard was the one who gained 200 yards, but I'm sure the intention of my post was understood...

OP
OP
football karma

football karma

Reaction score
to me its about efficiency

an offense that has Deandre Hopkins and a dynamic running QB and a WR in Kirk that has put on tape the ability to run past people and catch a deep pass.......

ought to be able to hand the ball to the RB and average 4+ yards a carry.

yet for 6 of the last 7 games, they cant. Whatever the cause, its holding the offense back.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
It finally dawned on me and seems so evident now that I have realized it. We need a top WR coach. Our WRs are not making any progress, especially compared to the work other team's WR coaches are doing. I don't know what all they are, but I believe there are training techniques that a few top WR coaches know about and use to better develop their WR potential. Am I off base on this?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you look back at the start of those games, that is when defenses started playing is different. Instead of defending Kyler and passing game first, they are run blitzing and stacking the hell out of the box.

It's worked well. By taking away our run game now we have more passing downs and the pass rush tees off.