The old Keim Telegraph

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Chris_Sanders, Feb 25, 2020.

1. cardpa

cardpa Finding the Field

Why would he listen? He's looking for as big a paycheck as he can get. He doesn't care about that stat.

2. DVontel

DVontel Registered

I’m on the Thomas train. I think he’s going to be a great player if he goes to the right scheme. Him coming here or going to any other zone blocking scheme is just not smart drafting.

Out of him, Becton, Willis, & Wirfs, Thomas fits us the worst out of 3. He never played in a zone scheme at UGA & he is at his absolute best at LT. Sure, he played RT one year, but there’s a reason he got moved to LT right after. That’s because that’s where he shines the most. Why draft a player where his abilities would not reach their full potential? Not to mention, I don’t think he’s even a better overall OT than Willis.

With as many needs as we have, why draft a player to a position we signed an extension too just because he might not live up to it in a year or two?

I’m not trying to be a smart***, but it just makes no sense at all to draft Thomas for this team. Willis & Wirfs fits this team a lot more. Even Becton fits this team more due to athleticism & blocking system he just came from.

Like I said earlier, I like Thomas a lot, but not for this team because this offense would not cater to Thomas’ strengths like it would for Willis & Wirfs.

daves likes this.
  3. Cardiac

Cardiac Registered User

I have decided that we won't draft an OT in rd1 but believe that it's possible starting in rd2. The way Humps contract is structured is a sign that SK isn't completely sure he is the long term answer.

Add that Murray at best doesn't suck and we have like zero depth.

4. PACardsFan

PACardsFan Registered User

You could be absolutely right. He's not just big, he's gargantuan. I heard yesterday that he measured in taller & heavier than we was at the end of college season. And, for a huge man, he has nice footwork. My fear is that sometimes when you give a big man big money, the end result isn't always pretty. Some people last year thought Murray was a risky move. I never doubted he'd be very good. Maybe Becton will be great & worth the risk. Much will depend on the kid's attitude & work ethic. Let's see how he's vetted.

5. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

It seems like the Cardinals are sniffing a trade down in the draft if the opportunity arises.

I'm hoping all this receiver talk early in the draft (#8) is just that. I'd like for the Cardinals go offensive tackle or defensive tackle if they stay put.

6. BritCard

BritCard Registered

These young guys move around a lot. Many of them played left and right either in college or HS. At that young age it's much easier to switch sides compared to a long time NFL vet.

In an ideal world they would stay in the same position but it's not uncommon to switch.

7. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

I think we are too the problem is so are several other teams. Apparently both Detroit and the Giants have made it clear they're willing to deal out of their pick. The Lions there's some chatter they may take a QB but most see it as them wanting to trade out so by saying we might take a QB, they increase the price to a team wanting to move up that actually will take a QB. The Giants want a WR or an OL and have decided they pick too early for that so they'd like to slide back.

It's an interesting situation if the Cards really wanted Okudah, and Detroit moved their pick to someone who wants a QB, would the Cards move up from 8 to 4 to get Okudah, and the Giants get their WR? I love Okudah I'm just not sure we should pay too much to move up 4 slots I'm not sure we're good enough to give up picks

Some guy on CBS did a mock draft which I don't buy at all but he has Detroit trading with the Chargers so the Chargers pick Tua at 3, he has the Giants taking Ruggs at 4(!), Dolphins Herbert at 5, Giants take Okudah at 6, Simmons goes 7 to Carolina and we take Jeudy at 8. I just don't buy at all that Ruggs will go 4th, their comment was after he runs a 4.2 at the combine I just don't think that's enough for him to go that high.

I love Okudah but I think I'd rather move back a bit if we don't stay at 8 and take someone like Reagor and get an extra pick or player.

8. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Lots of competition to move down for sure so the Cardinals have to hope someone is there at #8 some team really wants... maybe a quarterback.

The plus for dealing with the Cardinals is they would not want a windfall in return for trading down a bit.

I figured the Cardinals had no chance at Okudah. Never can have enough corner backs. Agree the cost might be too much to trade down.

9. AZCrazy

AZCrazy Registered

Just take Derrick Brown and call it a win.

10. football karma

football karma Happy in the pretense of knowledge

on trading down:

last year there were 6 trade ups in the first round and none of the acquired picks were used on a QB --

the Steelers traded up 10 spots to take Devin Bush, a ILB. Go figure.

point being: there doesn't need to be a QB there for the Cards to have an opportunity to trade down

11. Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion

Unless Simmons or Okudah are there, a trade down is probably the best option.

daves likes this.
  12. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

I think the point is if you can home run the most expensive positions in the sport during the draft, it allows you a lot more room to build a sstrong team while those contracts are lower than going out and paying top dollar for QB, OT, OLB and etc.

daves likes this.
  13. BigRedRage

I would make it seem like we like a lot of options at #8 so all teams are desperate to leapfrog us or trade with us to not lost their guy. Pretty much anything but QB will be believable.

14. slanidrac16

slanidrac16 Registered User Contributor

Get ready for site meltdown if we trade down.

1. We will be passing on a projected very good player.
    2. The fear of Keims draft record will have us all squirming in our seats until it’s our turn to pick.
    3. No matter who we take half of the board will scream stupid! The other half will spend the next 3 months convincing the others why it’s okay.

daves and Solar7 like this.
  15. BigRedRage

upload_2020-2-26_16-9-2.png

daves and slanidrac16 like this.