The Official US Soccer thread

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Ream/Zimmerman partnership would really, really not inspire me with confidence, though. Watching the Newcastle transition, it's night and day between a defense that just turtles then has to hoof it up the field, and defenders that can actually pass out of the back. That pairing would be more of the hoofing variety.
Ream does quite a bit of passing at Fulham. Zimmerman on the other hand, I can't say for certain as I haven't watched him much.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Ream does quite a bit of passing at Fulham. Zimmerman on the other hand, I can't say for certain as I haven't watched him much.
Meh. We'd have two rather slow center backs, which isn't a good combo. Not to harp on Newcastle, but they're the one major team I'm familiar with. They have a good tandem with Fabian Schar (going to the WC with Switzerland) and Sven Botman. Botman is just a freaking mack truck, whereas Schar is quick, clever, and technically great. Not that Botman doesn't have those qualities either, as they can both pass out of the back really well. Paired together, they work magnificently.

Ream and Zimmerman just seem to be very similar players so, while they both have the same strengths, their weaknesses are similar too.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Ream is smart and a good passer and has some leadership about him (or he wouldn't be captain in Fulham) plus he has chemistry with Robinson, I fully expect him to start against England but I could see Berhalter resting him against Wales so he is 100% for England. I could be completely off base but that is a move that wouldn't shock me. Just like I could see Yedlin start one of the 3 matches too.
I can't see resting players for England. We aren't that much better than Wales, in fact I think a draw is more likely vs Wales even with our best players playing at a high rate. Both Wales and the USA will go into that game knowing that a loss means they are most likely eliminated. Zimmerman and Ream will most likely be the center backs with Dest and Robinson on the wings. In the Fulham games that I've watched this year, Ream has consistently been one of their top players.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Meh. We'd have two rather slow center backs, which isn't a good combo. Not to harp on Newcastle, but they're the one major team I'm familiar with. They have a good tandem with Fabian Schar (going to the WC with Switzerland) and Sven Botman. Botman is just a freaking mack truck, whereas Schar is quick, clever, and technically great. Not that Botman doesn't have those qualities either, as they can both pass out of the back really well. Paired together, they work magnificently.

Ream and Zimmerman just seem to be very similar players so, while they both have the same strengths, their weaknesses are similar too.
Everyone plays out from the back now it seems. I don't watch MLS, but even the teams that promote into the PL are brave enough to do it and that's why I love watching PL. I think that is the one major difference with this version of USA, but yes they will likely surrender goals in the process so they must take their chances when they get them.

For better or worse, I think that it is our best pairing. Ream has been good with the ball at his feet at Fulham, he was Fulham's top player when I watched them play vs. spurs. He was doing it all really. and for a player that lacks pace, he has really impressed me every time I've watch a Fulham game. He didn't play much with the national side. I think the last game I saw him play with the USA was that crazy game vs. Mexico in Denver. For me Ream is one of the no brainer selections that Berhalter thankfully didn't screw up.

I don't know much about Zimmerman either, but it it's obvious that he was berhalter's favorite CB in qualifying. and in the games that I watched, Zimmerman did quite a bit of playing out of the back. of corse dest and Robinson will do it as well.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
You should be banned for uttering that obscenity on this board lol

Seriously, I've still never forgiven him for missing that sitter against Belgium. We completely wasted Timmy Howard's record-breaking effort, and it's a crime he didn't get the golden gloves that WC.
Yeah, I think that's really the only memory that I have of Wondo because I never watch MLS. So now I look back and wonder why Wondo was there and Donovan wasn't. no way Donovan misses that chance. but JK knows best

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I think Jesus Ferreira starts at striker over both Wright and Sargent and I really don't think its unwarranted. He had 18 goals and 6 assists this year for Dallas, he's just 21 yrs old too. The problem is he is small, under 5' 9", so he isn't a true target forward.
I don't think you are wrong about his success in MLS being able to translate to success with the USA. Sargent has played now in Bundesliga and at Norwich and that is a different level than Dallas. If Sargent played in Dallas he would have equal or greater success. In the USA games that I've seen Ferreira play, he like sargent, pefok, pepi, and others, failed to impress. they've missed multiple opportunities that should be going in. I don't really feel like starting one of those guys over say weah, Pulisic, aaronson, or even Reyna, is warranted at this point. I think Sargent is most likely of the traditional #9's to see the pitch.

I do hope if Ferreira gets an opportunity that he will take it. and my fav MLS player is Kellyn Acosta. he has really impressed me in the last few games that I've watched him play with the USA. he is really good on serving the ball and set pieces...maybe better than some of his USA teammates that play in Europe.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
I don't think you are wrong about his success in MLS being able to translate to success with the USA. Sargent has played now in Bundesliga and at Norwich and that is a different level than Dallas. If Sargent played in Dallas he would have equal or greater success. In the USA games that I've seen Ferreira play, he like sargent, pefok, pepi, and others, failed to impress. they've missed multiple opportunities that should be going in. I don't really feel like starting one of those guys over say weah, Pulisic, aaronson, or even Reyna, is warranted at this point. I think Sargent is most likely of the traditional #9's to see the pitch.

I do hope if Ferreira gets an opportunity that he will take it. and my fav MLS player is Kellyn Acosta. he has really impressed me in the last few games that I've watched him play with the USA. he is really good on serving the ball and set pieces...maybe better than some of his USA teammates that play in Europe.
Oof, Accosta is not a favorite of mine, to say the least. Everyone seems to slobber over his set pieces, but with very few exceptions, my recollections are disappointing. He doesn't seem to hold the ball well. He gets stupid yellow cards by acting the fool. His passes often go astray. I am speaking from watching US games only, of course, and only the ones I've seen, so there is that, but he has never, ever impressed me. I don't rate him as lowly as I did Kyle Beckerman (almost impossible to rate him that low lol), but unlike Beckerman, he's supposed to be an offensive mid, and he doesn't seem to help the offense.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

I don't see Sargent starting either of the first 2 matches (the third match is a wild card, depending on the first 2 results). Sargent is more than likely a sub and might be behind Wright.

The USA for all intents and purposes plays a 4-3-2-1 from what I have seen from watching the matches they don't see any of Reyna, Pulisic, Weah or Aaronson as that lone striker up top and none of them play that role for their clubs.

People who dismiss MLS seem to forget before Dempsey was in Europe he scored in a WC while still with New England. Since the inception of MLS we've seen success of guys who use the WC to elevate themselves to bigger clubs, Ferreira is young and has pedigree--his father was a Colombian International, he has as much a chance as anyone. Of course he could be Eddie Johnson and flame out too but I don't see that.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Just an idea of projected starting lineups from across the web:

Sporting News: Turner--Robinson, Carter-Vickers, Zimmerman, Dest--Adams, McKennie, Musah--Pulisic, Aaronson, Ferreira

CBS: Turner--Robinson, Ream, Zimmerman, Dest--Adams, McKennie, Musah--Weah, Ferreira, Pulisic

Fansided: Turner--Dest, Zimmerman, Ream, Robinson--Adams, Musah, McKennie--Reyna, Pulisic, Sargent

MLS: Turner--Dest, Zimmerman, Ream, Robinson--Adams, McKennie, Musah--Pulisic, Reyna, Ferreira

90min: Turner--Dest, Zimmerman, Long, Robinson--Musah, Adams, Acosta--Aaronson, Pulisic, Ferreira

Allaboutfpl: Turner--Dest, Zimmerman, Long, Robinson--Musah, Adams, McKennie--Aaronson, Ferreira, Pulisic

The projections with Long starting surprise me and would actually make me quite angry with Berhalter.

Stout

Reaction score
Just an idea of projected starting lineups from across the web:

Sporting News: Turner--Robinson, Carter-Vickers, Zimmerman, Dest--Adams, McKennie, Musah--Pulisic, Aaronson, Ferreira

CBS: Turner--Robinson, Ream, Zimmerman, Dest--Adams, McKennie, Musah--Weah, Ferreira, Pulisic

Fansided: Turner--Dest, Zimmerman, Ream, Robinson--Adams, Musah, McKennie--Reyna, Pulisic, Sargent

MLS: Turner--Dest, Zimmerman, Ream, Robinson--Adams, McKennie, Musah--Pulisic, Reyna, Ferreira

90min: Turner--Dest, Zimmerman, Long, Robinson--Musah, Adams, Acosta--Aaronson, Pulisic, Ferreira

Allaboutfpl: Turner--Dest, Zimmerman, Long, Robinson--Musah, Adams, McKennie--Aaronson, Ferreira, Pulisic

The projections with Long starting surprise me and would actually make me quite angry with Berhalter.
If Long starts I will be baying for Berhalter's blood. That would just be moronic. I still don't like the idea of a Zimmerman/Ream pairing, but it would be worlds better, and at least Ream has played alongside Robinson before.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Oof, Accosta is not a favorite of mine, to say the least. Everyone seems to slobber over his set pieces, but with very few exceptions, my recollections are disappointing. He doesn't seem to hold the ball well. He gets stupid yellow cards by acting the fool. His passes often go astray. I am speaking from watching US games only, of course, and only the ones I've seen, so there is that, but he has never, ever impressed me. I don't rate him as lowly as I did Kyle Beckerman (almost impossible to rate him that low lol), but unlike Beckerman, he's supposed to be an offensive mid, and he doesn't seem to help the offense.
oh god no way he is in beckerman's level. I'm going off of the last couple of games that I've watched him play with the USA and then highlights from LA. Acosta shouldn't be starting, but he is a quality MLS player that has earned a spot imo. he might be the backup for Tyler Adams? who would play for Tyler if he's out? that's probably the most irreplaceable player that we have?

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I don't see Sargent starting either of the first 2 matches (the third match is a wild card, depending on the first 2 results). Sargent is more than likely a sub and might be behind Wright.

The USA for all intents and purposes plays a 4-3-2-1 from what I have seen from watching the matches they don't see any of Reyna, Pulisic, Weah or Aaronson as that lone striker up top and none of them play that role for their clubs.

People who dismiss MLS seem to forget before Dempsey was in Europe he scored in a WC while still with New England. Since the inception of MLS we've seen success of guys who use the WC to elevate themselves to bigger clubs, Ferreira is young and has pedigree--his father was a Colombian International, he has as much a chance as anyone. Of course he could be Eddie Johnson and flame out too but I don't see that.
well I would use LD as the example of a player being in MLS having success for his country. and LD played multiple positions for the National team made it work so well. I think Pulisic could do the same thing for the national team, play different roles, aaronson and Reyna as well, because they are talented and likely need to do more for the USA than what they do at their clubs.

I think you have a good idea of how the USA will line up. either way Ferreira and sargent if they play, must take their chances and be able to drop and serve the ball to others for goals if they are going to have success.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah it feels like weah, Aaronson, and pulisic are all kind of playing similar positions. Sargent has been scoring more than any American player of late in England at Norwich. I think he if anyone should have a go as a 9. Interestingly I watched an Aaronson interview today and he said he sees himself as an 8 that plays in midfield. I think he has sort of played that role some at Leeds behind rodrigo, but not 100 percent sure because I haven’t watched many Leeds games. Aaronson had a hell of an assist last week against Tottenham.
He's literally what the US are calling out for here. He plays as a more attacking midfielder for Leeds but is constantly looking to run with the ball. Sargent is scoring . . .for Norwich. Aaronson has proved to be a good Prem player. Needs to play.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Zimmerman brain fart away from a opening game win and a likely advancement into the knockout stage.
Yup. I mentioned that to Mulli. The only real difference in this game was this silly pen to give away.

Stout

Reaction score
A Zimmerman brain fart away from a opening game win and a likely advancement into the knockout stage.
Well, it was a little bit more than that. A complete letup, Berhalter completely unable to adjust to the game, lack of fitness levels, and Zimmerman engaging in major eff up mode all combined to possibly screw us out of advancing. A tale of two halves, where we were doing everything right, then doing everything wrong. We had one shot on goal. ONE. And our idiot manager decided to give up by bringing in Jordan Morris. He should be fired for that alone.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Well, it was a little bit more than that. A complete letup, Berhalter completely unable to adjust to the game, lack of fitness levels, and Zimmerman engaging in major eff up mode all combined to possibly screw us out of advancing. A tale of two halves, where we were doing everything right, then doing everything wrong. We had one shot on goal. ONE. And our idiot manager decided to give up by bringing in Jordan Morris. He should be fired for that alone.
I agree with the tale of two halves, I was thinking the same thing because they couldn't of looked better in the first half aside from finishing their chances. Pulisic and weah combined for a wonderful goal. Wales should have put away that open header on the corner. for me a fair result because the USA sat back and absorbed too much pressure in the second half. the officiating was poor. soft cards came out early and then he did nothing about a clear and obvious second yellow.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I agree with the tale of two halves, I was thinking the same thing because they couldn't have looked better in the first half aside from finishing their chances. Pulisic and weah combined for a wonderful goal. Wales should have put away that open header on the corner. for me a fair result because the USA sat back and absorbed too much pressure in the second half. the officiating was poor. soft cards came out early and then he did nothing about a clear and obvious second yellow.
Part of that follows the game though. Wales sat way back in a shell for most of the first half and USA could do whatever they wanted to. Wales had to adjust their strategy after the goal. USA could have been more aggressive, but not like first half and they needed to protect their lead. If they would have continued to be too aggressive and given up a break away goal then everyone would just be complaining the exact opposite way.

Tyler Adams was world class tonight. MotM by a lot.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Part of that follows the game though. Wales sat way back in a shell for most of the first half and USA could do whatever they wanted to. Wales had to adjust their strategy after the goal. USA could have been more aggressive, but not like first half and they needed to protect their lead. If they would have continued to be too aggressive and given up a break away goal then everyone would just be complaining the exact opposite way.

Tyler Adams was world class tonight. MotM by a lot.
I agree 100% which is why in this match against Wales when you really need to get 3 points, I think attacking to score a 2nd goal as much as possible is warranted when you know that 1 goal is usually not enough to deserve 3 points. Wales did make adjustments and they dictated a lot of the 2nd half. Wales are a good side. In the end I credit the USA team for moving forward as the 2nd went on and it's just unfortunate they gave up a poor penalty. against England it may be USA sitting back looking to counter only and that is understandable if you are worried about goal difference, but I hope they do go at them as well.

I thought Adams, Musah, and Weah looked really good. musah looked tired in the 2nd. Adams is everywhere and is fully fit and I agree that he is their best player right now. I think aaronson should start. he looked dangerous, and hopefully we will see Reyna as well.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
how will the USA lineup tomorrow? I hope Aaronson and Reyna are more involved.

Stout

Reaction score
The Iran win was a terrible result. Unless we somehow scrounge a point from England, which is a big ask, Iran just needs to park the bus and play for a draw to get through. Who here thinks we have the ability to break through and score under those circumstances? Anyone?

Now, if we do snag a point from England, Iran will have to beat us while a draw would likely get us through. We really, REALLY need a result today. I believe...?

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Yeah.

I just have a hard time seeing field from this team.

I think a draw is possible and a win vs Iran is doable, but this team just plays with such a fine margin that draws turn into defeats and wind into draws

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose