The Official US Soccer thread

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, we're going out at the group stages. IDGAF how bad England are struggling, we're 3 and done.
I think they get 2 points. Two draws against Wales/Iran. I wouldn't even be surprised if they got 3 draws.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Have you ever been less excited for an upcoming World Cup? (with US participation of course)

Berhalter just kills any joy of our youth movement.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Have you ever been less excited for an upcoming World Cup? (with US participation of course)

Yeah, I'm pretty numb to it at this point. I usually look forward to it. Maybe when it starts and I get to see some good matches it might change.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Still really looking forward to it. Although I wish that it wasn't Fox that purchased the coverage. For the most part, their coverage stinks.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I am as excited as usual. I think we are likely to get embarrassed every World Cup that comes around. Which should mean I am not excited but I love the World Cup especially the USA games. Evey victory is sweet, the games are so intense.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Yeah - I should have re-phrased. I'm mostly pissed that I think we'll go out in the group stage. The world cup in general is great entertainment, even with the horrific situation in Qatar. (Which pretty much exemplifies everything wrong with FIFA)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yeah - I should have re-phrased. I'm mostly pissed that I think we'll go out in the group stage. The world cup in general is great entertainment, even with the horrific situation in Qatar. (Which pretty much exemplifies everything wrong with FIFA)
That's pretty much where I'm at. FIFA, the Olympic committee...world sports is corrupt AF.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I don't think it is all doom and gloom. there are multiple players who were not in this last camp who should be there at the WC. One thing that is clear is that the US team doesn't have the depth that some others do. but I think berhalter needs to really count on his experienced players like ream and brooks because this is a young squad that needs some leadership. Pepi needs to be left off...pefok,and weah must be ahead of him. sargent should make the team as a role player.

Stout

Reaction score
I don't think it is all doom and gloom. there are multiple players who were not in this last camp who should be there at the WC. One thing that is clear is that the US team doesn't have the depth that some others do. but I think berhalter needs to really count on his experienced players like ream and brooks because this is a young squad that needs some leadership. Pepi needs to be left off...pefok,and weah must be ahead of him. sargent should make the team as a role player.
Who is occupying the striker role, leading the line, and scoring goals? If we don't have that guy, is Berhalter good enough to coach a team that may not have the right personnel to play with a false 9? I just don't have faith in them to get out of the group stages. I guess it's back to being happy we made the dance again.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Who is occupying the striker role, leading the line, and scoring goals? If we don't have that guy, is Berhalter good enough to coach a team that may not have the right personnel to play with a false 9? I just don't have faith in them to get out of the group stages. I guess it's back to being happy we made the dance again.
I'm not sure. I think they have a handful of guys that have the potential, but IDK if they are ready. my guess is it will be Pefok, Pepi, and Sargent that make the squad. At least one of them have to step up. Pulisic also will have to really move around a lot whether it's a false 9 or traditional number 10 and he will be counted on to score.

Stout

Reaction score
I'm not sure. I think they have a handful of guys that have the potential, but IDK if they are ready. my guess is it will be Pefok, Pepi, and Sargent that make the squad. At least one of them have to step up. Pulisic also will have to really move around a lot whether it's a false 9 or traditional number 10 and he will be counted on to score.
Pefok, Pepi, and Sargent?
:barf:
That's an awful set of strikers for a freaking World Cup.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Pefok, Pepi, and Sargent?
You must be registered for see images attach
That's an awful set of strikers for a freaking World Cup.
I think Jesus Ferreira is a lock at striker--over any of those 3.

It's probably better than what Bradley took to the World Cup-- Altidore, Buddle, Findley & Gomez and that team got out of the group. Like that team this team will have to score goals from out of the midfield and I think they have the talent to do so...but that defense and goalkeeping, that worries me.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Jesus Ferreira is a lock at striker--over any of those 3.

It's probably better than what Bradley took to the World Cup-- Altidore, Buddle, Findley & Gomez and that team got out of the group. Like that team this team will have to score goals from out of the midfield and I think they have the talent to do so...but that defense and goalkeeping, that worries me.
I actually miss Altidore. That's how bad it has been. Since Berhalter won't play Pulisic in the middle to put the best players on the field, I don't expect them to make any real noise anyway.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Luca de la Torre injured, but expected back for WC. I'm with DCR that it seems like any kind of run is getting more and more difficult to imagine.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know where else to talk about this..

Did anyone watch the MLS Championship today? HOLY schnikes that was a great game!

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Glad to see Steffen, Pepi, and Pefok were left out. Kind of surprised Arriola isn't on the squad. I would have selected Arriola over Roldan. Still not crazy about Long in the back and Morris up top. I think Scally deserves to be on the squad. Sargent is a conundrum for me. I hope Reyna will have an impact on games. Now that the squad is picked, I 'm kind of looking forward to World Cup now.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Glad to see Steffen, Pepi, and Pefok were left out. Kind of surprised Arriola isn't on the squad. I would have selected Arriola over Roldan. Still not crazy about Long in the back and Morris up top. I think Scally deserves to be on the squad. Sargent is a conundrum for me. I hope Reyna will have an impact on games. Now that the squad is picked, I 'm kind of looking forward to World Cup now.
I'm not a fan of the Morris selection, I would rather have pefok or basically anyone else other than Morris. for me this is an overly emotional move by the coach which means they will probably fall short because depth is important in the WC. I am glad to see Tim ream rewarded for his positive play at Fulham, but this squad has 4 quality defenders and then there's a gap. and with that said I'm not sure that the two top center backs are going to give much playing out of the back which is concerning. hopefully Tyler Adams can pick up the slack.

overall I think the first choice team will be competitive in their group, but the depth on this team is weak. if they take injuries or get out of the group stage they will struggle because they lack quality depth.

Stout

Reaction score
Pretty clear it is Turner between the sticks, which is smart. Steffen has been absolutely garbage, so while it's harsh he doesn't even make the roster, I'm glad there won't be a temptation to start him. Why TF is Morris even on this roster? I guarantee Berhalter thinks his experience is gold, but what use is experience when you stink and have stunk for a long time? Agreed with all about the defense. As a Newcastle fan, I've seen the difference between defenders that can (or are allowed to) distribute properly from the back and defenders that are better at just hoofing it down the field. You really, really need defenders that can pass, and do we have them? Meh.

We'll see. I don't have confidence we'll advance from the group stages, but I am getting excited. I took Black Friday off, and luckily have the prior Monday off, so I'll get to see at least two of the games live.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some surprising choices on the US World Cup roster selection. I’m curious if ANYONE in the media had Zach Steffen pegged to miss out?
Agreed. He might have thought that rather than having some sort of competition, give Matt Turner the gloves.
I'm not a fan of the Morris selection, I would rather have pefok or basically anyone else other than Morris. for me this is an overly emotional move by the coach which means they will probably fall short because depth is important in the WC. I am glad to see Tim ream rewarded for his positive play at Fulham, but this squad has 4 quality defenders and then there's a gap. and with that said I'm not sure that the two top center backs are going to give much playing out of the back which is concerning. hopefully Tyler Adams can pick up the slack.

overall I think the first choice team will be competitive in their group, but the depth on this team is weak. if they take injuries or get out of the group stage they will struggle because they lack quality depth.
I am in absolute agreement. I'd much rather have Pefok. Not a big fan of Reggie Cannon not being in the squad as well but that is splitting hairs.

I think we have the youngest WC roster this year.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty clear it is Turner between the sticks, which is smart. Steffen has been absolutely garbage, so while it's harsh he doesn't even make the roster, I'm glad there won't be a temptation to start him. Why TF is Morris even on this roster? I guarantee Berhalter thinks his experience is gold, but what use is experience when you stink and have stunk for a long time? Agreed with all about the defense. As a Newcastle fan, I've seen the difference between defenders that can (or are allowed to) distribute properly from the back and defenders that are better at just hoofing it down the field. You really, really need defenders that can pass, and do we have them? Meh.

We'll see. I don't have confidence we'll advance from the group stages, but I am getting excited. I took Black Friday off, and luckily have the prior Monday off, so I'll get to see at least two of the games live.
Spot on.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last odds I saw was even money for US to advance out of the group. Things probably aren't as gloomy and doomy as us fans think...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If either team wins the first game (USA/Wales), I think that decides it.
Yeah, I think the 2nd place team could get out of the group with only 4 points. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes down to tie breakers as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Golfermcr