The Official US Soccer thread

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All great points made. I feel like if the center forwards that we have are just going to stand in the box and wait to be served, only to keep missing their chances, there is no point for them to be on the pitch prior to the 80th min (if they are down). I would like to see more from pefok and dike, I feel like i am judging them from a very small amount of time in the USA squad and they have had some success at their clubs.
Same. They won't be ready for this year's WC.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Appearing

And playing substantial minutes is two different things. Coming on with 15-20 left in a game doesn't give him much time to impact a game.

He was seventh in the entire pool in minutes played in 2021.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
He was seventh in the entire pool in minutes played in 2021.
The Gold Cup had a lot to do with that as many of the regular starters were not on the roster for that event. A lot of players got a ton of minutes they never would have gotten if most of the preferred players were roster for the gold cup.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The Gold Cup had a lot to do with that as many of the regular starters were not on the roster for that event. A lot of players got a ton of minutes they never would have gotten if most of the preferred players were roster for the gold cup.
You said "I always liked Aaronson and couldn't understand Berhalter not playing him more. He does impact a match." You didn't specify Gold Cup vs WCQ vs Friendly vs CONCACAF Nations League.

I just showed you 2 facts that show that isn't the case, few players got more minutes or more WCQ appearances than he did. It isn't like he is ignored on the bench most matches. In fact if he is on the roster he is more likely to start on the field than on the bench.

He should have had more time than someone like Lletget but all the others who had more PT than him deserved those minutes and were in positions that would not impact him (Adams, Acosta, Turner, Robinson).

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
You said "I always liked Aaronson and couldn't understand Berhalter not playing him more. He does impact a match." You didn't specify Gold Cup vs WCQ vs Friendly vs CONCACAF Nations League.

I just showed you 2 facts that show that isn't the case, few players got more minutes or more WCQ appearances than he did. It isn't like he is ignored on the bench most matches. In fact if he is on the roster he is more likely to start on the field than on the bench.

He should have had more time than someone like Lletget but all the others who had more PT than him deserved those minutes and were in positions that would not impact him (Adams, Acosta, Turner, Robinson).
Would you please provide a link to the site you used to view minutes each player had.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
well this weekend could be a good USA barometer if Chelsea feature Pulisic vs. Leeds. We know Pulisic is a lock to be USA's captain if he is fit, but he is hardly playing at Chelsea. Of corse his fortune could change at any time if someone gets injured or if Tuchel puts someone else in the dog house. Havertz missed a tap in goal vs. spurs so maybe that will be enough.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
well this weekend could be a good USA barometer if Chelsea feature Pulisic vs. Leeds. We know Pulisic is a lock to be USA's captain if he is fit, but he is hardly playing at Chelsea. Of corse his fortune could change at any time if someone gets injured or if Tuchel puts someone else in the dog house. Havertz missed a tap in goal vs. spurs so maybe that will be enough.

There was a rumor I saw recently that Pulisic is a possibility to be loaned to Manchester United. He'd probably see the field more there if that is true.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
There was a rumor I saw recently that Pulisic is a possibility to be loaned to Manchester United. He'd probably see the field more there if that is true.
And Newcastle are also heavily linked. What a dream it would be to loan Pulisic, have him drive the Mags up the table, and have him drive the US to the knockout stages!

Lorenzo

Reaction score
And Newcastle are also heavily linked. What a dream it would be to loan Pulisic, have him drive the Mags up the table, and have him drive the US to the knockout stages!
I don't think he will leave. Newcastle, Leeds, Arsenal, or even Liverpool/Tottenham and several more would be a good fit for him, I would think, but I doubt Chelsea would want to work with Tottenham, Arsenal, or even L'Pool.

Man United, not a good fit, because they are a far more toxic environment than what he is experiencing now. This is one of those grass not being greener examples. The players at Chelsea seem unhappy with lack of playing time, yet they are winning and the players seem to get on with one another. One thing to consider is that Pulisic has managed to remain in favor over several other attacking options that Chelsea have had, in spite of all of his injuries, so that is saying something about the mutual relationship that they have. He will get more playing time at Chelsea because of the other campaigns that are set to start. but his lack of playing time is still concerning. I get the sense that Tuchel is trying to preserve Pulisic for the long haul.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Josh Sargent bagged a nice looking brace earlier today for Norwich and I've heard he scored in their last match. It looks like he may finally be fitting in there, I hope. He fell off the radar, but if he can find his scoring form, his work rate will be a nice add to the USA squad.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
Barca are trying to offload Dest. Small wonder, as, to me, he is a player that very much flatters to deceive, and they need financial relief in the worst way. Oh, Dest has all the talent in the world, but he's a bit like Newcastle's St. Maximin, often running down blind alleys, not providing adequate service, and the like. Can look pretty on the ball, but you rarely get the final product. And defense is definitely not his strong suit.

If he gets the proper coaching, he can be a stud. I seriously doubt he was getting much personal attention at Barca. Is he going to get it from Berhalter? Even if Berhalter does him right, will his brief time with the national team be enough? I think we kind of have to hope it is. And hope he goes to a club where he can play and develop, rather than another big club.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Barca are trying to offload Dest. Small wonder, as, to me, he is a player that very much flatters to deceive, and they need financial relief in the worst way. Oh, Dest has all the talent in the world, but he's a bit like Newcastle's St. Maximin, often running down blind alleys, not providing adequate service, and the like. Can look pretty on the ball, but you rarely get the final product. And defense is definitely not his strong suit.

If he gets the proper coaching, he can be a stud. I seriously doubt he was getting much personal attention at Barca. Is he going to get it from Berhalter? Even if Berhalter does him right, will his brief time with the national team be enough? I think we kind of have to hope it is. And hope he goes to a club where he can play and develop, rather than another big club.
I just read he was linked with Man United, but also that Man United have not made any offers. I don't think Man United would be a good move for him. Honestly if I were anyone, I would think twice before going there. I would imagine there are a number of better options out there for him.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
so far a hell of a weekend for American players. Pefok picked up a goal and an assist. Tyler Adams and Aaronnsen with Leeds are sitting in the top 4 of the table. Reyna is playing again so that's a positive as well.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I tell you what. Aaronson is an absolute menace and should be allowed to just run with the ball as much as he wants. Adams is also settling in brilliantly to the Prem and bossed the Chelsea midfield today.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
so far a hell of a weekend for American players. Pefok picked up a goal and an assist. Tyler Adams and Aaronnsen with Leeds are sitting in the top 4 of the table. Reyna is playing again so that's a positive as well.

It really was a great weekend.

Aaronson is such a high motor player, great to see it pay off by forcing an error on the GK.

Haji Wright scored 2 in Turkey and Josh Sargent 2 in the Championship. Along with Pefok, if they continue getting PT and scoring consistently they at least deserve a look for the WC.

It's funny that for the first time in probably ever the position on our squad I worry about most is GK. We were spoiled with Friedel, Keller, Howard for so long now we have a bunch of guys who don't play much and are inconsistent.

Stout

Reaction score

Aaronson is such a high motor player, great to see it pay off by forcing an error on the GK.

Haji Wright scored 2 in Turkey and Josh Sargent 2 in the Championship. Along with Pefok, if they continue getting PT and scoring consistently they at least deserve a look for the WC.

It's funny that for the first time in probably ever the position on our squad I worry about most is GK. We were spoiled with Friedel, Keller, Howard for so long now we have a bunch of guys who don't play much and are inconsistent.
Keeper is really a problem for us. Turner is probably the best but he isn't getting playing time. I really dislike Steffan between the sticks.

Lorenzo

Reaction score

It’s good to see it. Especially for the central attacking players scoring in different ways. Pefok and Sargent both had wonderful goals on the break which is what they must do for the American squad, those opportunities will be there for them

Also mark Tillman at rangers is having a nice start to the season.

Steffen, I’m not so sure about. Hopefully someone will emerge as a number one but that could hurt the team if berhalter does not manage that position well.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I tell you what. Aaronson is an absolute menace and should be allowed to just run with the ball as much as he wants. Adams is also settling in brilliantly to the Prem and bossed the Chelsea midfield today.
Adams is turning into my favorite American player, he is everywhere on the pitch, tough as nails, and he has natural leadership abilities. That was a grab for Leeds, especially with the manager having a good relationship with Adams.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Just waiting for them to tap Pulisic up before the transfer deadline.
That would be nuts. He would fit there and would score a lot of goals paired with their attacking players. I’ve been hoping that Spurs would snipe pulisic. I thought he would fit well opposite of son.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
T. ream and A. Robinson put in a good shift today for Fulham at arsenal. Robinson was not able to get forward much, but aside from 2 lazy turnovers I thought he pocketed one of England’s best attacking players (saka). Ream actually looked very good both in his marking and going forward with the ball. He deserves a look.

Leeds v Brighton was kind of a let down with Brighton fully deserving the result. Brighton were very poor in their final third, otherwise it would of been over at half. Leeds were better after the 55 min mark. B. Aaronson was ok today, he created what should of been a goal by just putting his head down and taking on multiple defenders. Tyler adams looked mostly defensive minded today. Ultimately Leeds were too clumsy in possession.

J. Sargent scored again, he has jolted Norwich to the 2nd spot in the table.

G. Reyna did not suit up today. Dortmund claim it is a precaution. I’m just wondering if Tuchel is doing the same with pulisic given his durability issues as well. Pulisic took sterlings place in 2-1 win over Leicester. Word has it Chelsea fans are blaming pulisic for Gallagher’s early send off (joking) but I did see a fan tweet that lol.

Stout

Reaction score
T. ream and A. Robinson put in a good shift today for Fulham at arsenal. Robinson was not able to get forward much, but aside from 2 lazy turnovers I thought he pocketed one of England’s best attacking players (saka). Ream actually looked very good both in his marking and going forward with the ball. He deserves a look.

Leeds v Brighton was kind of a let down with Brighton fully deserving the result. Brighton were very poor in their final third, otherwise it would of been over at half. Leeds were better after the 55 min mark. B. Aaronson was ok today, he created what should of been a goal by just putting his head down and taking on multiple defenders. Tyler adams looked mostly defensive minded today. Ultimately Leeds were too clumsy in possession.

J. Sargent scored again, he has jolted Norwich to the 2nd spot in the table.

G. Reyna did not suit up today. Dortmund claim it is a precaution. I’m just wondering if Tuchel is doing the same with pulisic given his durability issues as well. Pulisic took sterlings place in 2-1 win over Leicester. Word has it Chelsea fans are blaming pulisic for Gallagher’s early send off (joking) but I did see a fan tweet that lol.
I think Pulisic is getting loaned out, and I hope that's to Newcastle.