The Official US Soccer thread

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Hungary is much better than El Salvador, but I appreciate the joke :)
Yeah, not a perfect analogy - more a reflection of the respective results. It's amazing Southgate can't get more out of that squad.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Bummer, but LA is a total lock and they probably wouldn't have put another one that close considering all 3 countries are hosting, and us not having an MLS team would probably also be a negative. I am hoping to go out to LA for a game though!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bummer, but LA is a total lock and they probably wouldn't have put another one that close considering all 3 countries are hosting, and us not having an MLS team would probably also be a negative. I am hoping to go out to LA for a game though!
Yep. I remember seeing that a couple years ago.

Pretty sure Denver will be in the list and I will be going to at least one game here.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We always show grit - competence, not so much. Barely tying El Salvador is hardly encouraging. I guess at least we didn't lose to Hungary?
I have seen middle school soccer pitches in better condition. I am more impressed by the 1-1 tie in those conditions vs the 5-0 or whatever it was to Grenada.

Keep in mind that Canada lost to Honduras in pretty much the same conditions and Mexico had to rescue a point like we did.

So it looks like we can pencil in

Antonee Robinson, Zimmerman, and Dest (if healthy)
Musah, Adams, McKinnie
Pulisic and Ferriera

I think we start Weah as well and Aaronson as a super sub. The only real question marks are GK and CB2.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I have seen middle school soccer pitches in better condition. I am more impressed by the 1-1 tie in those conditions vs the 5-0 or whatever it was to Grenada.

Keep in mind that Canada lost to Honduras in pretty much the same conditions and Mexico had to rescue a point like we did.

So it looks like we can pencil in

Antonee Robinson, Zimmerman, and Dest (if healthy)
Musah, Adams, McKinnie
Pulisic and Ferriera

I think we start Weah as well and Aaronson as a super sub. The only real question marks are GK and CB2.
Two of the biggest and most important holes on the team. I have always considered my two CBs as key to a solid back 4. For me two center backs who are poised on the ball and can read the field and were vocal leaders back there is key to having a solid back 4. My outside backs need to have a great work rate as I always wanted them rotating up like Robinson does. It puts so much pressure on an opponents defense. I also never ever subbed out my back 4 unless injury or a lopsided game was in progress. They always played every minute of every game. The more minutes together the better they got at knowing each other and communicating.

It appears that Long is going to be the guy to fill the hole in the back and that worries me.

I don't think Berhalter has any choice but to go with Turner. I don't see another option at this point.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Great performance by the U20's all tournament long. Clinched a spot in the U20 WC, clinched a spot in the 2024 Olympics and won the tournament, finished with a 31-2 goal differential & Paxton Aaronson takes home the Golden Boot.

The Philly Union MLS Academy is turning out some talent.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Great performance by the U20's all tournament long. Clinched a spot in the U20 WC, clinched a spot in the 2024 Olympics and won the tournament, finished with a 31-2 goal differential & Paxton Aaronson takes home the Golden Boot.

The Philly Union MLS Academy is turning out some talent.
Is Paxton related to Brenden?

Edit: He is Brenden's younger brother

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Good to see brenden Aaronson and Tyler Adams with Leeds, and more importantly with a manager that trusts them. I think that if he keeps his current form there is no way that you cannot have brenden in the starting lineup. The USA will have to be ok with not starting a center forward. They have some young guys that really need to improve. I guess pefok is their best option atm. He could be a sub or an option when attrition comes into play. Hopefully Reyna will be healthy as well.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Good to see brenden Aaronson and Tyler Adams with Leeds, and more importantly with a manager that trusts them. I think that if he keeps his current form there is no way that you cannot have brenden in the starting lineup. The USA will have to be ok with not starting a center forward. They have some young guys that really need to improve. I guess pefok is their best option atm. He could be a sub or an option when attrition comes into play. Hopefully Reyna will be healthy as well.

Yeah. If Bob can't find a way to stress opponents with Aaronsons constant pressure and work rate, it's a big problem

The kid has a non stop motor and it's smart runs, smart pressure, smart movement to manipulate space

If he tires in a quick turn tournament setting then maybe have him come on as a high energy super sub and attack tired legs

I haven't seen any indication he'll tire though - use him to stress and wear down the opposition that is also fighting a short turn schedule

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Yeah. If Bob can't find a way to stress opponents with Aaronsons constant pressure and work rate, it's a big problem

The kid has a non stop motor and it's smart runs, smart pressure, smart movement to manipulate space

If he tires in a quick turn tournament setting then maybe have him come on as a high energy super sub and attack tired legs

I haven't seen any indication he'll tire though - use him to stress and wear down the opposition that is also fighting a short turn schedule
That’s a valid point about him coming off the bench. If they can figure out the center forward position I would be ok with brenden or reyna coming off the bench. It’s just hard to imagine either of those two sitting if they are in good form.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I always liked Aaronson and couldn't understand Berhalter not playing him more. He does impact a match.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Good idea, since we can't find a center forward to save our lives.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
The real question becomes will Berhalter adjust or can he adjust to play to the strengths of his team? He doesn't have a lot of time to make the necessary changes that would improve the chances of this team advancing out of group play and deep into the knockout stage.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I always liked Aaronson and couldn't understand Berhalter not playing him more. He does impact a match.

Brenden Aaronson entered the final window on pace to be the only player to appear in all 14 WCQ matches, but a knee injury forced him to withdraw from the March camp.

He had appeared in 11 of 11 qualifiers before his injury going in to the last 3 (Adams, Acosta and Robinson led with 13 appearances).

There is a lot to gripe about Berhalter but that isn't one of them.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good idea, since we can't find a center forward to save our lives.
Yep, It is why the best thing that this team could do for now is play Pulisic in the false 9 position, flanking him by a two of the three of Aaronson, Weah, Reyna

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Appearing
Brenden Aaronson entered the final window on pace to be the only player to appear in all 14 WCQ matches, but a knee injury forced him to withdraw from the March camp.

He had appeared in 11 of 11 qualifiers before his injury going in to the last 3 (Adams, Acosta and Robinson led with 13 appearances).

There is a lot to gripe about Berhalter but that isn't one of them.
And playing substantial minutes is two different things. Coming on with 15-20 left in a game doesn't give him much time to impact a game.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Appearing

And playing substantial minutes is two different things. Coming on with 15-20 left in a game doesn't give him much time to impact a game.
Quite frankly, Weah was ahead of him early on, but Aaronson is quickly closing the gap.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
All great points made. I feel like if the center forwards that we have are just going to stand in the box and wait to be served, only to keep missing their chances, there is no point for them to be on the pitch prior to the 80th min (if they are down). I would like to see more from pefok and dike, I feel like i am judging them from a very small amount of time in the USA squad and they have had some success at their clubs.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose