The Official US Soccer thread

Lorenzo

Reaction score
This is the danger of sending one of our GK's to a team in Europe to ride the bench. Much rather have a guy getting regular playing time in MLS than riding the bench in Europe for "practice reps".
and you have to wonder if there are other teams in Europe that they could be playing for where they would get more minutes.

Lately I've been wondering about Pulisic, not at all the same argument, but he needs to be playing more. It cannot be proven, but if he were playing at say Tottenham, Leicester, or West Ham, he would probably play a lot more minutes, but would not be in the Champions League.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Here's an interesting take on Pulisic.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Here's an interesting take on Pulisic.

his dad should not have made that tweet, it probably upset Christian. None of these commentators are wrong, I think the last guy made the point though. Chelsea have a lot of similar players in their attack and christian doesn't really set himself apart, but neither do any of the others. I look at the role that Mason Mount is playing and I think that Christian and even some of the others on that squad offer more that he does, but I've always thought that. For me Chelsea are an elite club because they have a lot of interchangeable parts and they can swap the lineup every match and have a chance to win against any opponent. If Christian wants to feature every time out he needs to go to another club, but even that doesn't prevent this from happening there. I would love to see christian running at opponents along side Harry Kane and H.M.Son, I've always thought that would be a natural fit for him.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
his dad should not have made that tweet, it probably upset Christian. None of these commentators are wrong, I think the last guy made the point though. Chelsea have a lot of similar players in their attack and christian doesn't really set himself apart, but neither do any of the others. I look at the role that Mason Mount is playing and I think that Christian and even some of the others on that squad offer more that he does, but I've always thought that. For me Chelsea are an elite club because they have a lot of interchangeable parts and they can swap the lineup every match and have a chance to win against any opponent. If Christian wants to feature every time out he needs to go to another club, but even that doesn't prevent this from happening there. I would love to see christian running at opponents along side Harry Kane and H.M.Son, I've always thought that would be a natural fit for him.
The tweet by his Dad kind of surprised me as I know Mark to some extent, at least enough to know what kind of person he is and he was usually straight business and you need to earn your time on the pitch type of guy and coach. I'm sure he is quite proud of his son which may explain the tweet.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
The tweet by his Dad kind of surprised me as I know Mark to some extent, at least enough to know what kind of person he is and he was usually straight business and you need to earn your time on the pitch type of guy and coach. I'm sure he is quite proud of his son which may explain the tweet.
I can't fault him, it wasn't the right decision, but it must be hard for him to watch at times. I also wonder why Pulisic hasn't played more. He has been one of their shining stars, especially in the bigger matches. He just hasn't been given any type of stability and I think that has something to do with his up and down play. I also think it has to do with his durability and the vast amount of big money players at the club. the manager must feel compelled to spread the wealth and try to manage minutes. Other players at the club have clearly voiced their frustration if not verbally, also through their body language. I don't think he should stay there. Chelsea are typically ruthless when it comes to buying new players each season. then again I don't know how their ownership situation will be, so they may be looking to sell players.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I’m ok with brooks but he needs more time to form a partnership with someone. He gives a lot going forward.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I’m ok with brooks but he needs more time to form a partnership with someone. He gives a lot going forward.
Unless Brooks game has picked up substantially, he's not the answer to fill Robinson's position. When he last played for the team he looked downright bad.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Unless Brooks game has picked up substantially, he's not the answer to fill Robinson's position. When he last played for the team he looked downright bad.
The last time I can remember seeing him play was the concacaf champions league final.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
The last time I can remember seeing him play was the concacaf champions league final.
It's been a while since he played on the national team and I was not impressed with his performance. I liked the ********* of the two Robinsons and Zimmerman and the fourth is kind of up in the air for me although I lean toward Dest.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Brooks is odd.

He had always been a little inconsistent or maybe even a little timid/soft given his physical attributes and that would get him in trouble

Last year in the league, he started well and looked like he was rounding into a really solid player

Then he fell off a cliff, was bad in the league, bad in camp, bad in his appearance and bad to start the league

However, he has been playing better as this session has gone on and has been pretty good as of late

Maybe it's a confidence/mental thing..... Who knows.

It does appear he's streaky - so I'd definitely have him in camp for the friendless given his current form...... I just wouldn't pencil him in as a solid fixed piece of the starting 11

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I feel like brooks has not had enough time with the national team. He is clearly the best attacking defensive center back that we have. He likes being on the ball and that is important if you want to be a real player. But I feel like he leaves a lot to be desired defending. I think that comes down to playing time and forming chemistry with your other defenders.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I think Brooks has a chance to make the team, but not start

I’d guess Robinson-Richards-Zimmerman-Dest would be the starters right now

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

Bayern Munich's Germany U21 international Malik Tillman has switched his international allegiance to the USA, the country of his father's birth.

Born in Nuremberg to a German mother and American father, Tillman joined Bayern's youth academy from Greuther Fürth at the age of 13 in 2005, at the same time as elder brother Timothy.

The attacking midfielder subsequently turned out for the USA at U15 level but has represented Germany at every age group up to U21 since, scoring five times in 19 youth caps.

But now he has pledged his international future to the United States, with the hope of turning out for the USMNT at the United 2026 FIFA World Cup.

This is supposed to be a great get for the US but I honestly haven't seen him play other than Youtube vids.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

Bayern Munich's Germany U21 international Malik Tillman has switched his international allegiance to the USA, the country of his father's birth.

Born in Nuremberg to a German mother and American father, Tillman joined Bayern's youth academy from Greuther Fürth at the age of 13 in 2005, at the same time as elder brother Timothy.

The attacking midfielder subsequently turned out for the USA at U15 level but has represented Germany at every age group up to U21 since, scoring five times in 19 youth caps.

But now he has pledged his international future to the United States, with the hope of turning out for the USMNT at the United 2026 FIFA World Cup.

This is supposed to be a great get for the US but I honestly haven't seen him play other than Youtube vids.
Sweet shooting touch for such a young player. Seems to read the GK well. Shows some nice passing skills. Appears to have good field awareness.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

GOALKEEPERS (3): Ethan Horvath (Nottingham Forest/ENG; 7/0), Zack Steffen (Manchester City/ENG; 29/0), Matt Turner (New England Revolution; 16/0)

DEFENDERS (9): George Bello (Arminia Bielefeld/GER; 6/0), Reggie Cannon (Boavista/POR; 24/1), Cameron Carter-Vickers (Celtic/SCO; 8/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 23/3), Erik Palmer-Brown (Troyes/FRA; 3/0), Antonee Robinson (Fulham/ENG; 25/2), Joe Scally (Borussia Mönchengladbach/GER; 0/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Inter Miami; 73/0), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC; 28/3)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Kellyn Acosta (LAFC; 51/2), Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig/GER; 27/1), Luca de la Torre (Heracles/NED; 7/0), Weston McKennie (Juventus/ITA; 31/9), Djordje Mihailovic (CF Montreal/CAN; 6/1), Yunus Musah (Valencia/ESP; 16/0), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders; 31/0), Malik Tillman (Bayern Munich/GER; 0/0)

FORWARDS (7): Brenden Aaronson (Red Bull Salzburg/AUT; 18/5), Paul Arriola (FC Dallas; 44/9), Jesús Ferreira (FC Dallas; 9/3), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders; 46/10), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG; 48/21), Tim Weah (Lille/FRA; 22/2), Haji Wright (Antalyaspor/TUR; 0/0)

Good to see some "newish" names included. I am glad Mihailovic is getting a chance again, he is playing really well right now. Love seeing Scally & Wright finally on the roster and of course our newest dual national in Tillman.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

GOALKEEPERS (3): Ethan Horvath (Nottingham Forest/ENG; 7/0), Zack Steffen (Manchester City/ENG; 29/0), Matt Turner (New England Revolution; 16/0)

DEFENDERS (9): George Bello (Arminia Bielefeld/GER; 6/0), Reggie Cannon (Boavista/POR; 24/1), Cameron Carter-Vickers (Celtic/SCO; 8/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 23/3), Erik Palmer-Brown (Troyes/FRA; 3/0), Antonee Robinson (Fulham/ENG; 25/2), Joe Scally (Borussia Mönchengladbach/GER; 0/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Inter Miami; 73/0), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC; 28/3)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Kellyn Acosta (LAFC; 51/2), Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig/GER; 27/1), Luca de la Torre (Heracles/NED; 7/0), Weston McKennie (Juventus/ITA; 31/9), Djordje Mihailovic (CF Montreal/CAN; 6/1), Yunus Musah (Valencia/ESP; 16/0), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders; 31/0), Malik Tillman (Bayern Munich/GER; 0/0)

FORWARDS (7): Brenden Aaronson (Red Bull Salzburg/AUT; 18/5), Paul Arriola (FC Dallas; 44/9), Jesús Ferreira (FC Dallas; 9/3), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders; 46/10), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG; 48/21), Tim Weah (Lille/FRA; 22/2), Haji Wright (Antalyaspor/TUR; 0/0)

Good to see some "newish" names included. I am glad Mihailovic is getting a chance again, he is playing really well right now. Love seeing Scally & Wright finally on the roster and of course our newest dual national in Tillman.
Some names missing, where is Dest? How do you keep Long and leave Dest off? Glad to see no Pepi. Not happy about Steffen or Morris. Also no Brooks which is good. Wonder what the prognosis is for Miles Robinson? I rather have him give for 20-25 minutes than not have him at all. Looking at this roster it seems to me that the strength of this team is the midfield right now.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Some names missing, where is Dest? How do you keep Long and leave Dest off? Glad to see no Pepi. Not happy about Steffen or Morris. Also no Brooks which is good. Wonder what the prognosis is for Miles Robinson? I rather have him give for 20-25 minutes than not have him at all. Looking at this roster it seems to me that the strength of this team is the midfield right now.

Dest: https://www.si.com/soccer/2022/04/25/sergino-dest-injury-hamstring-barcelona-usmnt-june-camp
In a 1–0 loss to Rayo Vallecano on Sunday, which marked the first time in club history that Barça has lost three straight home games in one season, Dest was subbed off at halftime with a hamstring injury. On Monday, the club confirmed the damage but didn’t give an exact timeframe for his recovery.
However, multiple Spanish outlets are reporting that the fullback will miss four to six weeks, which would effectively rule Dest out for the season and put his availability for the USMNT’s June camp in serious doubt.

Robinson: https://www.si.com/soccer/2022/05/09/miles-robinson-injury-usmnt-world-cup-center-backs
Miles Robinson, the Atlanta United captain and center back who has carved out a regular role at the heart of the U.S. defense, crumpled to the Mercedes-Benz Stadium turf in a heap Saturday night, following a noncontact injury to his left Achilles. Atlanta United manager Gonzalo Pineda feared the worst before an MRI, and Robinson’s immediate reaction spoke volumes as he pounded the ground in anger before being stretchered off. Those presumptions were confirmed Monday by Atlanta, which announced a torn Achilles, and Robinson’s hopes of going to the World Cup are effectively toast.

I am guessing that even if Dest is recovered from his injury they are playing it safe and letting him rest and recover, Robinson unfortunately is done.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I don't want newish names at this point. Haven't we learned our lesson yet? This should be about trying to finalize who we're taking to the WC, not blooding newbies. Hell, I don't trust Berhalter not to toss a newbie in to start the first WC game!

I didn't know Horvath played for Forest. He might be plying his trade in the PL. It's too bad Turner won't be starting for his club. Steffan is so not the answer, but who is?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I don't want newish names at this point. Haven't we learned our lesson yet? This should be about trying to finalize who we're taking to the WC, not blooding newbies. Hell, I don't trust Berhalter not to toss a newbie in to start the first WC game!

I didn't know Horvath played for Forest. He might be plying his trade in the PL. It's too bad Turner won't be starting for his club. Steffan is so not the answer, but who is?

I think you always need to look at new names, guys can grow over a year. We should be looking for replacements for guys like Roldan, Arriola, Cannon, Morris etc. There is rumor that this WC roster will be 26 players instead of the normal 23 although I haven't seen anything official and that makes this even more important, I'd rather have youngsters deep on the bench soaking up the experience than older players who won't see a roster again.

The 2002 final roster looked nothing like the one that started qualifying, Donovan, Beasley, O'Brien, Mastroeni were rarely featured during qualifying and all contributed during that quarterfinal run.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

Steffen worries me. I have this sinking feeling he will be the #1 goaltender in the WC. I prefer Turner but his not getting playing time is almost as bad.

I don't mind a few newbies on the squad as long as they get some serious playing time in the warmup games and prove to add some value. Let's face it with Robinson out and Dest questionable, there will be a couple new faces to say the least. We also don't know about Reyna.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
For Reyna and Dest they have both been injured for a while. and of corse Pulisic and mckennie have dealt with injuries of late. I feel like those 4 guys have not all played much together, but we saw their dynamic ability when they all played against Mexico in the Nations League final. if those guys are fit, they will be starting on the pitch for the WC, even if they haven't played much in the camp. I really hope they don't overuse Pulisic and McKennie, there's no point in it until the WC.

I hate to keep focusing in on Morris, but I don't understand why he is on the roster other than the fact that Berhalter must have a thing for him. This is the time that you want to evaluate guys that could be on the roster for the WC. so you want to look at newer guys because you already know what you have with the older guys. That's why the comments he made about Brooks don't hold water when he keeps calling a guy like Morris who has no place on this team(I hope). There needs to be a balance of evaluating guys, but also letting the key guys form that chemistry.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Steffen worries me. I have this sinking feeling he will be the #1 goaltender in the WC. I prefer Turner but his not getting playing time is almost as bad.

I don't mind a few newbies on the squad as long as they get some serious playing time in the warmup games and prove to add some value. Let's face it with Robinson out and Dest questionable, there will be a couple new faces to say the least. We also don't know about Reyna.
I'm not really worried about our Goal Keepers. Any one of those 3 will be fine, I think that by the time the WC gets here berhalter needs to let those guys know what the pecking order is because that is what I think could bother them, the uncertainty and pressure could force them out of their game (the need to do too much). I think in the top European leagues there is pressure on all of the GoalKeepers to play out of the back because that is how the game is played now. that means mistakes will happen and Steffen is probably trying too hard in the very few chances that he gets to play at City. Horvath will have an advantage if he is playing more in England and does well.