The Official US Soccer thread

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Just finished watching Gladbach and Leverkusen.

Really rough night for the foals.

Scally looked the whole part of a teenager.

The second goal went through him as he both setup a little poorly on the wing and then took a bad angle and was beaten badly by the attacker with the ball who was able to send in the cross for the goal

Another goal he was in the proximity of, but it was a bad situation and looks like he should have had some support. He had two attackers working in from a wide position and he tried to hold them up and limit the layoff pass, but it didn't work - the ball was laid off and then sent to the middle for a goal

The whole team really struggled with the pace of Leverkusen in the wide areas and with how quickly they would build on a counter

He had a couple touches get away from him, passes were fine coming out of the back and in mid-field but struggled in attack. Couple of cross attempts soared over everyone in the box. Other attempts to provide service were sent into the near defenders legs.

He went 90, did keep his composure and did have some good moments...... But overall a rough night for the whole team

He did move from LB to RB due to an injury substitution, but it didn't seem to show a stronger or more comfortable side

They have a young German national LB he's going to have to eventually contend with for minutes. Eventually others will get healthy as well.

If he gets minutes he'll need a bounce back game this week against Union Berlin

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
U.S. soccer is doing its utmost to alienate the fan base and pretty much disqualify me from watching games. The next WC qualifier is at 10:05 in the freaking PM? REALLY, U.S. Soccer? The Gold Cup was already a crap show, but instead of learning the lesson and fixing the awful scheduling, you're going to double down on it? Pathetic.

Tell me, then, why I should care and lose sleep to watch? Nagannahappen!

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Who sets the times? Is it Concacaf or the host federation/county?

The first game is in El Salvador and is an 8pm local start. I know it's more rainy than hot there at the moment, but not sure what went into that time.

The domestic games scheduled are between 7 and 8 eastern.

It would be ideal to hit a better balance given the size of the US market and the stated goal of everyone to grow the game.

A 7pm local start would hit between 6-9 across the bulk of the US and would seemingly be reasonable

The game at Honduras has similar scheduling

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
This could create some problems during qualifying...

The Premier League on Tuesday announced its clubs will not release players for international matches played in red-list countries next month.

Amid frustration that players who travelled to red-list countries would have to follow UK coronavirus quarantine regulations ruling them out of several of their club's matches, the league has revealed a blanket ban for the September fixtures.

Includes the following CONCACAF teams in the final round of qualifying:
Costa Rica
Mexico
Panama

Stout

Reaction score
Berhalter lost all good will from the Gold Cup victory with that awful display. The homer play by play guys kept chatting up how great an away point is, how winning would just be a bonus, and how this was all about getting the young kids experience. Um, no. No effing way there, buddy boys. This is the FINAL ROUND of World Cup qualifying. It's not the Gold Cup. These aren't international friendlies. This isn't the venue for Dest to try to spin and show off his skills and unnecessarily try to beat 3 defenders all on his own. I don't give a damn how many Champions League games you've been in. If you're not ready for a World Cup qualifier, you shouldn't be on the field. And who might be to blame for playing a whole passel of youngsters on the road in a WC qualifier? Berhalter. Buck stops with him. He just put massive pressure on our next game, because anything other than a win is going to put us in a crap position.

This game was just painful to watch. And the disgusting post-match comment? "[It was] a great learning experience for our group..." Da fuq did you just say? A LEARNING EXPERIENCE? This was a WC Qualifier, you fool, not a damn friendly with Australia.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I did not stay up to watch the match but a 0-0 draw isn't exactly inspiring confidence. This team is supposed to be better than looking to draw on the road in WCQ and win at home--I can understand that attitude against Mexico or to some extent Costa Rica but not El Salvador.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
The scoring challenges weren't surprising, the sloppiness and poor passing was a bit

Laundry list of players didn't have good games - not decisive in the least

Corner defense was not great

Even with all that, they still had enough meaningful presence in dangerous areas to grab a goal

They were just awful in those areas though

Full mix of issues, some tentative or unable to have that last moment to create a shot - that prepare around the 30 minute mark where Aaronson went down just outside the box, no rain they didn't get shot on goal there

Other times players would take weak low chance shots when there were clear better options in a better position

When they did manage to click the build together the finishing was terrible - from Sargents volley to anyone's header

The substitutions and initial setup didn't inspire confidence either

I think some of the possession, passing, control individual mistakes can be ironed out

I'm not confident the finishing will be

The managing is still a huge question mark to me as well

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Crap field, but it's pathetic we can't score against El Salvador. Berhalter is completely out of his element, and it's a shame we're wasting a world cup cycle with a joke of a manager.

Stout

Reaction score
Well, clearly nobody cares about soccer in the U.S. still. U.S. vs Canada World Cup freaking qualifier in Nashville, and I can only watch the game on a Spanish language station. Embarrassing!

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Well, clearly nobody cares about soccer in the U.S. still. U.S. vs Canada World Cup freaking qualifier in Nashville, and I can only watch the game on a Spanish language station. Embarrassing!
I had it on FS1

Usual frustrating affair

I liked Aaronson in this position and when they worked with him wide, did things happened

Not sure with the substitutions tonight - Sargent not until the 82nd?

I really don't need to see Roldán

Konrad has ability, but he's been really poor and looks a bit lost..... Although I get there aren't gobs of great options

Really need to pull out a win in Honduras - definitely can't afford a loss

They need to figure out how to find the net and once they get the lead not have s muttering multi-player lapse like on the Canada equalizer

So far it looks like Concacaf goals are hard to come by for everyone

Stout

Reaction score
I had it on FS1

Usual frustrating affair

I liked Aaronson in this position and when they worked with him wide, did things happened

Not sure with the substitutions tonight - Sargent not until the 82nd?

I really don't need to see Roldán

Konrad has ability, but he's been really poor and looks a bit lost..... Although I get there aren't gobs of great options

Really need to pull out a win in Honduras - definitely can't afford a loss

They need to figure out how to find the net and once they get the lead not have s muttering multi-player lapse like on the Canada equalizer

So far it looks like Concacaf goals are hard to come by for everyone

FS1 here had it as a repeat at like 6am lol

Yeah, this was just ugly and unacceptable. I'm over Berhalter--he needs to go while we still have a chance to qualify. I'm also over Dest and Acosta--if they don't see the field again, so much the better. Of course, Yedlin isn't any better, and it appears we don't have a good 1st-choice right back. I mean, it's pretty bad that we're going to struggle to qualify for the World Cup in CONCACAF...again. Aren't we supposed to have oodles of talent nowadays? Aren't these kids supposed to be talented Champions League players? We pretty much have Pulisic and...? Even Brooks, who I normally like, was criminally lazy on the goal. Defending air.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
FS1 here had it as a repeat at like 6am lol

Yeah, this was just ugly and unacceptable. I'm over Berhalter--he needs to go while we still have a chance to qualify. I'm also over Dest and Acosta--if they don't see the field again, so much the better. Of course, Yedlin isn't any better, and it appears we don't have a good 1st-choice right back. I mean, it's pretty bad that we're going to struggle to qualify for the World Cup in CONCACAF...again. Aren't we supposed to have oodles of talent nowadays? Aren't these kids supposed to be talented Champions League players? We pretty much have Pulisic and...? Even Brooks, who I normally like, was criminally lazy on the goal. Defending air.

Yedlin is kind of known at this point - probably shouldn't be your first option with defensive responsibilities and hopefully someone pushes him down the reserves

Dest is talented, but likes to push forward more than playing back. If he's creating going forward and being at least neutral defending then he's fine - I think he was there mostly against Canada before going out. Still young, but although he's a Barcelona player he's not exactly tearing up La Liga. There is something there though. Just a lot of development needed.

Agree completely about Brooks. I've grown to like him and have been very encouraged by his growth at Wolfsburg. He should be moving into they leadership role and showing the steadiness he has in Germany.

He was a complete spectator on that goal though.

Have Honduras to show what they've learned.

There is only one way to gain experience, but the setup, attack and discipline don't always inspire confidence

Stout

Reaction score
Yedlin is kind of known at this point - probably shouldn't be your first option with defensive responsibilities and hopefully someone pushes him down the reserves

Dest is talented, but likes to push forward more than playing back. If he's creating going forward and being at least neutral defending then he's fine - I think he was there mostly against Canada before going out. Still young, but although he's a Barcelona player he's not exactly tearing up La Liga. There is something there though. Just a lot of development needed.

Agree completely about Brooks. I've grown to like him and have been very encouraged by his growth at Wolfsburg. He should be moving into they leadership role and showing the steadiness he has in Germany.

He was a complete spectator on that goal though.

Have Honduras to show what they've learned.

There is only one way to gain experience, but the setup, attack and discipline don't always inspire confidence
Dest was responsible for the early chance that should have had us down 1-0, not because he was pushing forward, but because he absolutely botched the play defensively. Badly. Just as badly as Yedlin did on the goal, but Turner bailed him out.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
What a frustrating game to watch, the service was poor all night, whether in the run of play or off set pieces. Waiting so long for substitutions was ridiculous, that is 100% on the coach and inexcusable.

They HAVE to win in Honduras--without Reyna, Dest and McKennie.

Stout

Reaction score
What a frustrating game to watch, the service was poor all night, whether in the run of play or off set pieces. Waiting so long for substitutions was ridiculous, that is 100% on the coach and inexcusable.

They HAVE to win in Honduras--without Reyna, Dest and McKennie.
Reyna will seemingly be a blow. I couldn't care less about Dest--hideous defending--but who will replace him? And McKennie I'm fast believing is a selfish jackass.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Reyna will seemingly be a blow. I couldn't care less about Dest--hideous defending--but who will replace him? And McKennie I'm fast believing is a selfish jackass.

I like Dest, he needs to mature as a player sure but the talent is there especially for a guy who is 2 months away from his 21st birthday. McKennie is a good player but an idiot and needs to grow up as a person, at least it wasn't a Charlie Davies type of situation where someone got killed and a career was ruined.

My big concern is I am not sure where the improved service from the MF will come from, that is the biggest issue IMO. Very few forwards in the world can be successful without quality service and this team just isn't doing it--not sure if that is due to roster construction, talent or tactics but something isn't working.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
McKennie when he is playing and is on his game is one of my favorites.

He's been very up and down as a player though since coming to Italy

He definitely needs to grow up and show some accountability.

Had the same issue in Italy and then takes himself out of 2 games of qualifying for selfish stupidity

Lack of maturity is hurting him as a player and teammate

Stout

Reaction score
So, if you just glanced at the score, you would figure normal service had resumed, that all would be well, and we came out and dominated against lesser competition like we should be. You would be 100 percent wrong. We WERE dominated, and did not dominate. Hard to call it eking out a result when you win 4-1, but that's exactly what we did. Even with the late goals and possession, we were out-possessed, to the point where there wasn't even HOPE of gaining possession again for long stretches of time. Our moronic head coach seems to think World Cup Qualifying is all-inclusive like tee ball, in that you have to give an opportunity--STARTS, even!--to EVERYONE in group play. Like, WTF, man? Seriously? And some of whom he has dubbed regulars shouldn't at all be regulars (I'm looking at you, Acosta). Very feeble, passive team. Pepi's getting a ton of credit--actually, I was going to tear the kid down because he looked like garbage for the whole game until the goal, but his involvement in the rest are bonus points over the massive goal he scored, so kudos to him. But others, like Sands? Why is he in the lineup? Why are you playing meek, non-press, come-score-against-us BS soccer that you then have to correct at halftime with a bunch of subs and complete change?

Sorry to say, even WITH the changes, nothing much changed. We poached a lucky one on a great individual play that was VERY much against the run of play. Without that great individual effort, I don't see us leveling even, let alone winning. And this is well after giving them copious opportunities to run up the score. Our idiot coach goes into Mexico City like this, and we get run out of there 6 or 7 to nil, bank on it.

Gah, how can I be so dissatisfied with such a positive result? I guess it's a "looks can be deceiving" result. And even with the win, we're only in the automatic spots through tie breaker. Things could be a LOT worse, but they MUST be a LOT better moving forward.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sargent is going to need service to succeed, how is the midfield in Norwich City? He isn't a creator on his own that is not his game.

Not very good. They struggle in the midfield.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last night's game was crazy. The first half was one of the worst performances I have ever seen by USMNT. Worse than losing to Trinidad and Tobago. They somehow woke up in the 2nd half and kept the coach employed.

It is clear how much this team has missed McKinnie and Adams in the midfield.

Oh, and don't even get me started on how I had to sign up for a 7 day trial of Paramount+ just to watch the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave