The Official US Soccer thread

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Arriola was really positive today. I thought Zardes had a good tournament as well, but missed an easy goal last night if he were onside. I think the forward position is still in play.
Arriola is basically only good for supplying to others, though--he has zero end product for scoring, and would have been heavily to blame if we had lost. Hoppe...eh, he has confidence but what did he do to show it is justified? I like his energy for a young kid, but didn't see much out of him. Isn't he the one playing in the Bundesliga? That bodes well for him, if so.

I think my thinking for this tourney was all wrong because I didn't know much of what was going on. If one or two kids catch onto the qualifying roster, then that's a positive. Otherwise, it's purely developmental. HUGE kudos to these kids for winning the tourney. Always nice to spit in Mexico's eye :) Major thumbs down to the Gold Cup organizers, though. Sunday night 9:00pm final after a screwy schedule is cacapoopoo.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Arriola was really positive today. I thought Zardes had a good tournament as well, but missed an easy goal last night if he were onside. I think the forward position is still in play.

Admittedly I am not a big fan of Zardes but he had a solid tournament, he is best suited for a super sub role on the full team in WCQ though. He'll be 30 in a couple of months and there is plenty of young talent who should be ready to take his place by November of '22 for the WC.

One result of this win is there may actually be a 3 way battle for starting GK between Steffen, Horvath and Turner--Turner will see much more playing time with his club, Horvath will be given the opportunity to start at Nottingham Forest, Steffen is the back-up at Man City and I wonder if he will be getting enough playing time to be sharp for qualifying. Turner is 27 the other 2 are 26 so age shouldn't be a factor--let them fight it out and let the best team win. Might be the best situation the USMNT has had with GK since Freidel and Keller were #1 and 2.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Arriola is basically only good for supplying to others, though--he has zero end product for scoring, and would have been heavily to blame if we had lost. Hoppe...eh, he has confidence but what did he do to show it is justified? I like his energy for a young kid, but didn't see much out of him. Isn't he the one playing in the Bundesliga? That bodes well for him, if so.

I think my thinking for this tourney was all wrong because I didn't know much of what was going on. If one or two kids catch onto the qualifying roster, then that's a positive. Otherwise, it's purely developmental. HUGE kudos to these kids for winning the tourney. Always nice to spit in Mexico's eye :) Major thumbs down to the Gold Cup organizers, though. Sunday night 9:00pm final after a screwy schedule is cacapoopoo.

Arriola's work rate is top notch, that is what I have always liked about him--he is another guy though who I think is best suited as a guy you bring in off the bench in WCQs but who likely won't make the 23 for WC Qatar.

Hoppe was the first American to score a hat trick in the Bundesliga (he plays for Schalke) his game has plenty of room to grow but I like his attitude. He only has 22 senior games as a pro so I'd expect him to improve over the next season.

Miles Robinson is the guy who needs a transfer from MLS--he showed all tournament long he is a quality player. I expect Atlanta will deservedly ask for a large fee and I won't be surprised if they get it.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Walking and driving around Vegas yesterday we saw Mexican flags everywhere we looked: draped on shoulders, attached to the backs of trucks, and being waved from vehicles.

I told my wife "These are the new rednecks." :)

So glad we won.

You must be registered for see images attach

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I was glad the game didn't feature a lot of the extra that we tend to get in these games.

Lozano being out helped with that. Herrera was fairly subdued aside from a boot to the head.

Just weren't too many flashpoints to escalate.

Crowd was energetic and did have the customary field invader - but didn't see a warning until after 90 minutes and only a handful of bottles thrown after the final whistle

Hardest had a really good tournament, but feel like we've done this dance a lot.

Arriola as well. Lot of good energy and strong play...... But you need to score goals.

Dike was a little disappointing, alright he too occasionally found ways to work into good areas and then just didn't do much with it.

I think they'll find some good subs and spot starters off that group.

Hoppe was all over the map. He hasn't exactly been a name in lights and didn't exactly follow the standard path - yet got into Schalkes system.

Wasn't much talk or high hopes with them, but after a bad couple months that continued the bad finish to the year prior they gave him a look and there wasn't a lot of expectation.

He exceeded them though and provided a good showing on an awful team.

So now you have a guy who has scored goals in the German top flight, competed as an international and scored, is fairly tall with some decent ability in an area of relative weakness for the US

He's also 20

Schalke is relegated, so he won't start playing top flight unless he gets sold or loaned. He has an abundance of confidence and a goal scorer mentality - he's relentless in wanting to score, which isn't the case for others in the mix.

He does make a lot of errors though. Gets lost in transition, doesn't always take good angles, sometimes pushes for a shot and goal attempt when there is stronger opportunity with a teammate

Then again - 20.

If he can round his game and add a couple tricks he could be a player - or he could just be a different version of what we have - time will tell

A lot of these guys are going to get looks.

Busio is going over soon - again, very young and development will determine place.

Miles Robinson has potential. Not as young as others, but not exactly advanced in age for his development and position.

I like Bello a lot - he'll need to develop and be able to play both ways. Wish he was a little bigger. At 19 though it's fairly poised.

Turner played well. Late bloomer, but hopefully recent MLS performance and this past year with the national team gets him summer attention - even if it's only a short loan to end the season - would love to see him at a different level and style league

Well be interesting to see what Horvath does.

Steffen is in a crowded room and needs a loan and health

Stout

Reaction score
Turner....hmm. Made some excellent saves but you absolutely can't have poor touches that spill the ball directly to the opposition in your own box. That was a bad howler that could've lost us the game early.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Walking and driving around Vegas yesterday we saw Mexican flags everywhere we looked: draped on shoulders, attached to the backs of trucks, and being waved from vehicles.

I told my wife "These are the new rednecks." :)

So glad we won.

You must be registered for see images attach
They have to be disappointed that their best players, Lozano injury aside, lost to the USA with all of our European players resting. That has to shake their confidence a bit. If nothing else their ego’s are wounded for sure.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I was glad the game didn't feature a lot of the extra that we tend to get in these games.

Lozano being out helped with that. Herrera was fairly subdued aside from a boot to the head.

Just weren't too many flashpoints to escalate.

Crowd was energetic and did have the customary field invader - but didn't see a warning until after 90 minutes and only a handful of bottles thrown after the final whistle

Hardest had a really good tournament, but feel like we've done this dance a lot.

Arriola as well. Lot of good energy and strong play...... But you need to score goals.

Dike was a little disappointing, alright he too occasionally found ways to work into good areas and then just didn't do much with it.

I think they'll find some good subs and spot starters off that group.

Hoppe was all over the map. He hasn't exactly been a name in lights and didn't exactly follow the standard path - yet got into Schalkes system.

Wasn't much talk or high hopes with them, but after a bad couple months that continued the bad finish to the year prior they gave him a look and there wasn't a lot of expectation.

He exceeded them though and provided a good showing on an awful team.

So now you have a guy who has scored goals in the German top flight, competed as an international and scored, is fairly tall with some decent ability in an area of relative weakness for the US

He's also 20

Schalke is relegated, so he won't start playing top flight unless he gets sold or loaned. He has an abundance of confidence and a goal scorer mentality - he's relentless in wanting to score, which isn't the case for others in the mix.

He does make a lot of errors though. Gets lost in transition, doesn't always take good angles, sometimes pushes for a shot and goal attempt when there is stronger opportunity with a teammate

Then again - 20.

If he can round his game and add a couple tricks he could be a player - or he could just be a different version of what we have - time will tell

A lot of these guys are going to get looks.

Busio is going over soon - again, very young and development will determine place.

Miles Robinson has potential. Not as young as others, but not exactly advanced in age for his development and position.

I like Bello a lot - he'll need to develop and be able to play both ways. Wish he was a little bigger. At 19 though it's fairly poised.

Turner played well. Late bloomer, but hopefully recent MLS performance and this past year with the national team gets him summer attention - even if it's only a short loan to end the season - would love to see him at a different level and style league

Well be interesting to see what Horvath does.

Steffen is in a crowded room and needs a loan and health
I would be interested to see Dike, and some of the other younger players in the mix at Forward, play in front of the talented US midfield players who were not on this roster. Dike should be able to hold the ball up well with some of those guys behind him. But dike is still young and needs to get on a stable situation with his club team.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Admittedly I am not a big fan of Zardes but he had a solid tournament, he is best suited for a super sub role on the full team in WCQ though. He'll be 30 in a couple of months and there is plenty of young talent who should be ready to take his place by November of '22 for the WC.

One result of this win is there may actually be a 3 way battle for starting GK between Steffen, Horvath and Turner--Turner will see much more playing time with his club, Horvath will be given the opportunity to start at Nottingham Forest, Steffen is the back-up at Man City and I wonder if he will be getting enough playing time to be sharp for qualifying. Turner is 27 the other 2 are 26 so age shouldn't be a factor--let them fight it out and let the best team win. Might be the best situation the USMNT has had with GK since Freidel and Keller were #1 and 2.
Zardes could work his way back to this team. We agree that he wouldn’t be in the mix to start. I think he and dike are both similar in the way they play their position if you want to go with a traditional #9.

I also think that Acosta has worked his way back to the team, even if it’s behind Tyler Adams. He was the US’ best player vs Mexico. Im happy for him.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I would be interested to see Dike, and some of the other younger players in the mix at Forward, play in front of the talented US midfield players who were not on this roster. Dike should be able to hold the ball up well with some of those guys behind him. But dike is still young and needs to get on a stable situation with his club team.

Yeah - a lot did depend on what you have around you. Holding the ball up loses impact of there is no one around with you. Making physical runs into space is wasted without service. Without other threats that space dwindles.

That is part of why it's so nice to see a group of talented youngsters that seem to push and feed off each other

I recall early Pulisic essentially playing a different game than those around him and his teammates weren't adjusting and taking advantage of what he could bring - you could just see the frustration on him as he was used to playing with talent that just played differently

I think the US can build to that, where there is experience, chemistry and an openness between players and they all will have a stronger baseline and standard from playing in high level clubs

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I also think that Acosta has worked his way back to the team, even if it’s behind Tyler Adams. He was the US’ best player vs Mexico. Im happy for him.
I agree. He was impressive. If he keeps up that work I would imagine there is a role for him ...... What is he, 27? Could be good depth with room to countinue to grow

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Sargent is moving to Norwich City, melt promoted to the top flight.

Should be a good spot for him. They aren't afraid to push for goals and with Pukki on the team there is some experience to learn from and a bit of pressure relief as he won't need to be the guy

Not sure they have enough to stay up though

Stout

Reaction score
Sargent is moving to Norwich City, melt promoted to the top flight.

Should be a good spot for him. They aren't afraid to push for goals and with Pukki on the team there is some experience to learn from and a bit of pressure relief as he won't need to be the guy

Not sure they have enough to stay up though
Wow, this could be a great move--or it could set him back completely. If he's able to get regular game time, even if as a sub who gets a lot of minutes, he could advance leaps and bounds. If he goes there and just rides the pine, it could easily curb his progression. Either way, it's an exciting move and one to keep an eye on.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Yeah, I think it'll be good in sum. With Bremen getting dropped this is definitely a big step up from what he was looking at.

He's had regular minutes in Germany with mixed results. His team was punchless last year and he was a focus point

If he wants to make the jump and be a player on the intentional level, this is it

I'm hoping it helps, but it could go wrong.

If it does go wrong, then it's probably time to learn that as well

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Sargent is going to need service to succeed, how is the midfield in Norwich City? He isn't a creator on his own that is not his game.

Stout

Reaction score
Sargent is going to need service to succeed, how is the midfield in Norwich City? He isn't a creator on his own that is not his game.
I think they had a good midfield last season, but relied on one big loan that they didn't get again this year from Chelsea: Connor Gallagher (sp?). IDK what their signings look like in that area.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I'm really not sure the quality at the time. Pukki has more creativity one the ball gets to his foot, but he also tends to get it in a good space - some because he can find space

My observations on Norwich from when they were up and a little from snippets last year is that they play some interesting formations, tend to overload and double up runs and just create odd and frustrating looks - they've put up goals...... But they can't get the ball out of their half and defend well enough against top flight teams

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I’ve watched Norwich City over the last few years, but not much last year. They are an attack minded team, even against bigger clubs they would attack rather than sit back. They won the championship, got relegated from the PL, but came back straight away by winning the championship. They have some of the greatest supporters in England. So there is something to be said for the club Sargent is going to. If he can score goals there with any type of consistency I think it is a brilliant move for him. Of corse the most important thing for him is playing time. He needs to be fit and he needs to score goals. He’s looked very fit in the USA squad, but he hasn’t scored goals when given the opportunity. The latter is my concern for him because the USA have other players who deserve a look.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Joe Scally may get some early playing time at Borussia Monchengladbach. They have some issues at the back

They are high on him, although Bayern would be a tough introduction for the 18 year old.

Exciting though..... Even moreso because I have a passing interest in gladbach as my German team

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
This might be the most exciting time for US Soccer ever, so many young players in Europe. MLS academies are actually churning out quality prospects pretty regularly now and it helps the US system from a depth perspective.

I read a lot of handwringing about Ochoa choosing Mexico and how other Mexican Americans would choose that route but honestly I don't think it is an issue like it has been in years past. If they go it isn't going to be the top prospects in our pool--kind of the reverse of where we were 10+ years ago when we'd get dual nationals that really had little chance of being starters in Mexico (or Germany etc).

Stout

Reaction score
Joe Scally may get some early playing time at Borussia Monchengladbach. They have some issues at the back

They are high on him, although Bayern would be a tough introduction for the 18 year old.

Exciting though..... Even moreso because I have a passing interest in gladbach as my German team
Man, I wish I'd been this into soccer while stationed in Europe. In Germany, even. Never caught a single match.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Man, I wish I'd been this into soccer while stationed in Europe. In Germany, even. Never caught a single match.
I can only hope to live in Germany one day. It’s pretty cool watching Norwich v Liverpool at carrow road…and to think I can say… hey I’ve been there. Carrow road was the most intimate and lively experience for a football match that I have ever seen. it was Newcastle vs. Norwich in a championship match with promotion spots on the line. I recall like it was yesterday. The smell of the cold wet winter grass, the sound of the ball, the relentless supporters, the grim tasting prematch carling, the final one that almost made me puke because I had to chug it down before I could go to my seat…definitely miss that

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I went to some spring events in/around London, but definitely wish I did more - everything I do go to was great

Germany and Italy would be a blast

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Scally went all 90 against Bayern and Gladbach held them to a 1-1 draw. By all accounts he showed well all considered