The Official US Soccer thread

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

Bayern Munich's Germany U21 international Malik Tillman has switched his international allegiance to the USA, the country of his father's birth.

Born in Nuremberg to a German mother and American father, Tillman joined Bayern's youth academy from Greuther Fürth at the age of 13 in 2005, at the same time as elder brother Timothy.

The attacking midfielder subsequently turned out for the USA at U15 level but has represented Germany at every age group up to U21 since, scoring five times in 19 youth caps.

But now he has pledged his international future to the United States, with the hope of turning out for the USMNT at the United 2026 FIFA World Cup.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This is supposed to be a great get for the US but I honestly haven't seen him play other than Youtube vids.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

Bayern Munich's Germany U21 international Malik Tillman has switched his international allegiance to the USA, the country of his father's birth.

Born in Nuremberg to a German mother and American father, Tillman joined Bayern's youth academy from Greuther Fürth at the age of 13 in 2005, at the same time as elder brother Timothy.

The attacking midfielder subsequently turned out for the USA at U15 level but has represented Germany at every age group up to U21 since, scoring five times in 19 youth caps.

But now he has pledged his international future to the United States, with the hope of turning out for the USMNT at the United 2026 FIFA World Cup.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This is supposed to be a great get for the US but I honestly haven't seen him play other than Youtube vids.
Sweet shooting touch for such a young player. Seems to read the GK well. Shows some nice passing skills. Appears to have good field awareness.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

GOALKEEPERS (3): Ethan Horvath (Nottingham Forest/ENG; 7/0), Zack Steffen (Manchester City/ENG; 29/0), Matt Turner (New England Revolution; 16/0)

DEFENDERS (9): George Bello (Arminia Bielefeld/GER; 6/0), Reggie Cannon (Boavista/POR; 24/1), Cameron Carter-Vickers (Celtic/SCO; 8/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 23/3), Erik Palmer-Brown (Troyes/FRA; 3/0), Antonee Robinson (Fulham/ENG; 25/2), Joe Scally (Borussia Mönchengladbach/GER; 0/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Inter Miami; 73/0), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC; 28/3)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Kellyn Acosta (LAFC; 51/2), Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig/GER; 27/1), Luca de la Torre (Heracles/NED; 7/0), Weston McKennie (Juventus/ITA; 31/9), Djordje Mihailovic (CF Montreal/CAN; 6/1), Yunus Musah (Valencia/ESP; 16/0), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders; 31/0), Malik Tillman (Bayern Munich/GER; 0/0)

FORWARDS (7): Brenden Aaronson (Red Bull Salzburg/AUT; 18/5), Paul Arriola (FC Dallas; 44/9), Jesús Ferreira (FC Dallas; 9/3), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders; 46/10), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG; 48/21), Tim Weah (Lille/FRA; 22/2), Haji Wright (Antalyaspor/TUR; 0/0)

Good to see some "newish" names included. I am glad Mihailovic is getting a chance again, he is playing really well right now. Love seeing Scally & Wright finally on the roster and of course our newest dual national in Tillman.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

GOALKEEPERS (3): Ethan Horvath (Nottingham Forest/ENG; 7/0), Zack Steffen (Manchester City/ENG; 29/0), Matt Turner (New England Revolution; 16/0)

DEFENDERS (9): George Bello (Arminia Bielefeld/GER; 6/0), Reggie Cannon (Boavista/POR; 24/1), Cameron Carter-Vickers (Celtic/SCO; 8/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 23/3), Erik Palmer-Brown (Troyes/FRA; 3/0), Antonee Robinson (Fulham/ENG; 25/2), Joe Scally (Borussia Mönchengladbach/GER; 0/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Inter Miami; 73/0), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC; 28/3)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Kellyn Acosta (LAFC; 51/2), Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig/GER; 27/1), Luca de la Torre (Heracles/NED; 7/0), Weston McKennie (Juventus/ITA; 31/9), Djordje Mihailovic (CF Montreal/CAN; 6/1), Yunus Musah (Valencia/ESP; 16/0), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders; 31/0), Malik Tillman (Bayern Munich/GER; 0/0)

FORWARDS (7): Brenden Aaronson (Red Bull Salzburg/AUT; 18/5), Paul Arriola (FC Dallas; 44/9), Jesús Ferreira (FC Dallas; 9/3), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders; 46/10), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG; 48/21), Tim Weah (Lille/FRA; 22/2), Haji Wright (Antalyaspor/TUR; 0/0)

Good to see some "newish" names included. I am glad Mihailovic is getting a chance again, he is playing really well right now. Love seeing Scally & Wright finally on the roster and of course our newest dual national in Tillman.
Some names missing, where is Dest? How do you keep Long and leave Dest off? Glad to see no Pepi. Not happy about Steffen or Morris. Also no Brooks which is good. Wonder what the prognosis is for Miles Robinson? I rather have him give for 20-25 minutes than not have him at all. Looking at this roster it seems to me that the strength of this team is the midfield right now.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Some names missing, where is Dest? How do you keep Long and leave Dest off? Glad to see no Pepi. Not happy about Steffen or Morris. Also no Brooks which is good. Wonder what the prognosis is for Miles Robinson? I rather have him give for 20-25 minutes than not have him at all. Looking at this roster it seems to me that the strength of this team is the midfield right now.

Dest: https://www.si.com/soccer/2022/04/25/sergino-dest-injury-hamstring-barcelona-usmnt-june-camp
In a 1–0 loss to Rayo Vallecano on Sunday, which marked the first time in club history that Barça has lost three straight home games in one season, Dest was subbed off at halftime with a hamstring injury. On Monday, the club confirmed the damage but didn’t give an exact timeframe for his recovery.
However, multiple Spanish outlets are reporting that the fullback will miss four to six weeks, which would effectively rule Dest out for the season and put his availability for the USMNT’s June camp in serious doubt.

Robinson: https://www.si.com/soccer/2022/05/09/miles-robinson-injury-usmnt-world-cup-center-backs
Miles Robinson, the Atlanta United captain and center back who has carved out a regular role at the heart of the U.S. defense, crumpled to the Mercedes-Benz Stadium turf in a heap Saturday night, following a noncontact injury to his left Achilles. Atlanta United manager Gonzalo Pineda feared the worst before an MRI, and Robinson’s immediate reaction spoke volumes as he pounded the ground in anger before being stretchered off. Those presumptions were confirmed Monday by Atlanta, which announced a torn Achilles, and Robinson’s hopes of going to the World Cup are effectively toast.

I am guessing that even if Dest is recovered from his injury they are playing it safe and letting him rest and recover, Robinson unfortunately is done.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I don't want newish names at this point. Haven't we learned our lesson yet? This should be about trying to finalize who we're taking to the WC, not blooding newbies. Hell, I don't trust Berhalter not to toss a newbie in to start the first WC game!

I didn't know Horvath played for Forest. He might be plying his trade in the PL. It's too bad Turner won't be starting for his club. Steffan is so not the answer, but who is?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I don't want newish names at this point. Haven't we learned our lesson yet? This should be about trying to finalize who we're taking to the WC, not blooding newbies. Hell, I don't trust Berhalter not to toss a newbie in to start the first WC game!

I didn't know Horvath played for Forest. He might be plying his trade in the PL. It's too bad Turner won't be starting for his club. Steffan is so not the answer, but who is?

I think you always need to look at new names, guys can grow over a year. We should be looking for replacements for guys like Roldan, Arriola, Cannon, Morris etc. There is rumor that this WC roster will be 26 players instead of the normal 23 although I haven't seen anything official and that makes this even more important, I'd rather have youngsters deep on the bench soaking up the experience than older players who won't see a roster again.

The 2002 final roster looked nothing like the one that started qualifying, Donovan, Beasley, O'Brien, Mastroeni were rarely featured during qualifying and all contributed during that quarterfinal run.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

Steffen worries me. I have this sinking feeling he will be the #1 goaltender in the WC. I prefer Turner but his not getting playing time is almost as bad.

I don't mind a few newbies on the squad as long as they get some serious playing time in the warmup games and prove to add some value. Let's face it with Robinson out and Dest questionable, there will be a couple new faces to say the least. We also don't know about Reyna.

lorenzotexan

Reaction score
For Reyna and Dest they have both been injured for a while. and of corse Pulisic and mckennie have dealt with injuries of late. I feel like those 4 guys have not all played much together, but we saw their dynamic ability when they all played against Mexico in the Nations League final. if those guys are fit, they will be starting on the pitch for the WC, even if they haven't played much in the camp. I really hope they don't overuse Pulisic and McKennie, there's no point in it until the WC.

I hate to keep focusing in on Morris, but I don't understand why he is on the roster other than the fact that Berhalter must have a thing for him. This is the time that you want to evaluate guys that could be on the roster for the WC. so you want to look at newer guys because you already know what you have with the older guys. That's why the comments he made about Brooks don't hold water when he keeps calling a guy like Morris who has no place on this team(I hope). There needs to be a balance of evaluating guys, but also letting the key guys form that chemistry.

lorenzotexan

Reaction score
Steffen worries me. I have this sinking feeling he will be the #1 goaltender in the WC. I prefer Turner but his not getting playing time is almost as bad.

I don't mind a few newbies on the squad as long as they get some serious playing time in the warmup games and prove to add some value. Let's face it with Robinson out and Dest questionable, there will be a couple new faces to say the least. We also don't know about Reyna.
I'm not really worried about our Goal Keepers. Any one of those 3 will be fine, I think that by the time the WC gets here berhalter needs to let those guys know what the pecking order is because that is what I think could bother them, the uncertainty and pressure could force them out of their game (the need to do too much). I think in the top European leagues there is pressure on all of the GoalKeepers to play out of the back because that is how the game is played now. that means mistakes will happen and Steffen is probably trying too hard in the very few chances that he gets to play at City. Horvath will have an advantage if he is playing more in England and does well.

lorenzotexan

Reaction score
aaronson is going to Leeds. definitely an interesting move for him. he seems to be one of the more underrated US internationals, but there is no test greater than playing in the PL, especially for a team that barely survived relegation. There are also some rumors that McKennie could join Spurs, but I don't know the chances of that actually happening. Most of it could be hot air merely because of his prior relationship with Conte. I think it would be a good move for him, but he would certainly find competition to get into the preferred lineup. there's a lot of talk of Pulisic leaving Chelsea as well.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Another American joining Aaronson in the Premier League as Nottingham Forest going up. Ethan Horvath is the 2nd choice at goalie.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Another player with Forest and someone who came through the England youth program is committing to the US as well

Solid performance tonight.

Nice to see McKennie get some minutes.

I liked what Musuh brought to central midfield. Adams was really quiet, but could be the way the game developed.

Long & Carter-Vickers both scare me if they get major minutes

Liked that Weah was decisive to get shots.

Pulisic had some really great moments and still some where he tried to be on the ball too much

Aaronson was frustrated to start as the ball wasn't moving and he wasn't on the same page

He made a number of really good runs and had good ideas going. Nice companion run on his goal, strong shot before the pulisic penalty and really nice passes to both strikers to get them a free look at goal - he's much more effective when the ball and team are in motion

That will be the interesting part - getting these players on the field together to start to build some continuity and knowledge of each other

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Well, it seems we can score goals now. Morocco has been keeping clean sheets left and right. Turner should be our man between the sticks, period. Defensively? We have problems.