The Official US Soccer thread

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why Berhalter had Reyna playing so far back is beyond my comprehension. Talk about taking one of your own play makers out of the game. I missed the second US goal because of Paramount. It froze on me.
I think they played him back because Musah wasn't in there to string passes along. They want their best passer on the ball more, so how do you do that? You push them further back.

Paramount+ is by far the worst streaming service I own.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Why Berhalter had Reyna playing so far back is beyond my comprehension. Talk about taking one of your own play makers out of the game. I missed the second US goal because of Paramount. It froze on me.
Yeah I didn’t see that part of the game but the analysts were asking those same questions.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Well, the U.S. beat Mexico in a classic "Dos a Cero" match to win the Concacaf Nations League. Good deal. Mexico must stink these days.
Beating Mexico doesn't count for much anymore...let's see this team get results against actual good teams before getting enthusiastic.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beating Mexico doesn't count for much anymore...let's see this team get results against actual good teams before getting enthusiastic.
It still counts in my book. Man, their fans...

Any time we beat them, I am very happy.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I didn’t see that part of the game but the analysts were asking those same questions.
His defensive game back there also was fantastic. Complaining about Reyna's positioning is a 1st world problem for sure.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, their fans are the worst. I've been at the games - the throwing of bottles, the general behavior is reprehensible.
Yep, for me it is:

1. Cowboys
2. Mexico MNT

and no one else really close close.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Yep, for me it is:

1. Cowboys
2. Mexico MNT

That is my top 2 as well, but Raider fans are bad too and easily #3, at least the Oakland/LA versions, haven’t been seen them since the move to Vegas but I am guessing it’s the same.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Sports are odd.

The cowboys fans I've met while in Dallas have all been pretty great - the ones outside, not as much. Similar with Lakers fans.

I've had great conversations in Mexico with El Tri fans. Yes, the rivalry and feelings are there on both sides of the equation, but the conversations are friendly and balanced.

I had no real issue when watching the match here.

I was probably the only parent on my son's soccer team pulling for the US last night - again though, it's a good group of parents and we all get along

However, you can't deny the pervasiveness of the chanting, the throwing of beers, bottles and substances at players.

Also the way their players conduct themselves is frequently what is wrong with the sport.

The online presence can get a little goofy as well. Vasquez has been with Genoa for a few years (1 on loan) and the commentary gets pretty ridiculous at times

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Yep, for me it is:

1. Cowboys
2. Mexico MNT

Aren’t they the same fan base? Only joking. I’m a cowboys fan and a USA fan, although I do have Mexican heritage. That doesn’t stop me from calling Mexico fans out for their disgusting and inhumane behavior. Not just at last night’s game, but every other one as well. They are losers.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Sports are odd.

The cowboys fans I've met while in Dallas have all been pretty great - the ones outside, not as much. Similar with Lakers fans.

I've had great conversations in Mexico with El Tri fans. Yes, the rivalry and feelings are there on both sides of the equation, but the conversations are friendly and balanced.

I had no real issue when watching the match here.

I was probably the only parent on my son's soccer team pulling for the US last night - again though, it's a good group of parents and we all get along

However, you can't deny the pervasiveness of the chanting, the throwing of beers, bottles and substances at players.

Also the way their players conduct themselves is frequently what is wrong with the sport.

The online presence can get a little goofy as well. Vasquez has been with Genoa for a few years (1 on loan) and the commentary gets pretty ridiculous at times
Good points. Don’t let some fans speak for the whole group.

Although for the Mexico fans chanting slurs in unison, that’s a lot of them. And I don’t understand why the ones caught on camera or seen throwing things are not being removed.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
That is my top 2 as well, but Raider fans are bad too and easily #3, at least the Oakland/LA versions, haven’t been seen them since the move to Vegas but I am guessing it’s the same.
I’ve always thought eagles fans are the worst. I won’t go to a game in Philadelphia. I’d rather pay the money to Jerry to watch a game in his Death Star than go to a game in Philly. I guess it would be cool to watch a game at estadio azteca since the police protect the away fans.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I agree as far as the players go because USA are supposed to win that game by more than a goal. But I do feel great satisfaction in watching the USA dominate them especially the way their fans behave.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
His defensive game back there also was fantastic. Complaining about Reyna's positioning is a 1st world problem for sure.
Good point. You will know being a Liverpool fan that often the best players are in the back holding the ball and bringing it up. Or ones up front dropping back and creating in the attack. It helps to have versatile players.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Tables have turned. It feels like the USA are where Mexico used to be when they had talent. It’s important to remember that Mexico squandered that talent away because their federation has been in shambles for a long time and eventually it impacted their players. I see some of the same struggles with the USA maximizing that talent, particularly struggles in the final third to score goals.

The positive thing that I see with the USA team is that they seem to genuinely care for one another and have deep bonds player wise. And good for the USA players for doing what they are supposed to do. We saw the old version of the USA Mexico rivalry in the 2000’s where Mexico struggled to beat the “inferior” USA teams.

I thought jessie marsh made a good point after the game. He brought up that the usa playing these matches against Mexico is not really helping them prepare for the top sides in the world.

I thought part of the challenge was that Mexico doesn't let their players leave for Europe, so their growth gets stunted. The Mexican league is still (maybe) better than the MLS, but we're actively trying to develop players for sale to Europe, and I don't think Mexico does that much?

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I thought part of the challenge was that Mexico doesn't let their players leave for Europe, so their growth gets stunted. The Mexican league is still (maybe) better than the MLS, but we're actively trying to develop players for sale to Europe, and I don't think Mexico does that much?
I don’t know the process comparatively between the Mexican league and mls as it involves transfers to foreign leagues. But I do know that many of the best Mexican players in their better years were playing in Europe and it could have been controversial when they were not able to return home for national games. there were problems with morale in the Mexican federation, particularly with some of the players playing in foreign leagues. Carlos Vela talked about it in an interview that I saw about 5-6 years ago. He was very upset at the Mexican federation at that point so it could have been biased.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose