The Official US Soccer thread

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
That game was an utter train wreck for 3/4 of the match. Berhalter coaching ass backwards and unintelligently. WTF was he thinking with the starting lineup? I mean, he finally made the right subs and, LUCKILY, they missed the penalty, but that was a sorely mismanaged game. Qatar made us look like rag bags and the best team lost.

The homerism on the penalty was eye rolling, too. None of them thought it was a penalty, and I'm all, "WTF replays are you looking at? That's a stone-cold penalty and a poor attempt at a tackle."

But, hey, on to the final!

lorenzotexan

Reaction score
So I expected USA to lose to Qatar. This is not the USA squad that will be in World Cup qualifying, maybe there are 3 guys on this gold cup squad that will even make the World Cup qualifying roster and I don’t see Zardes being one of those 3. The fact that this squad is in the final is surprising.

Stout

Reaction score
So I expected USA to lose to Qatar. This is not the USA squad that will be in World Cup qualifying, maybe there are 3 guys on this gold cup squad that will even make the World Cup qualifying roster and I don’t see Zardes being one of those 3. The fact that this squad is in the final is surprising.
Okay, that is definitely good to know. I'll ease a (little) bit of the pressure off Berhalter. My main issue then is why did he throw on two players (Zardes and Roldon) who are clearly the cream of the crop right now and clearly make the team better rather than start the fricking game with them?

lorenzotexan

Reaction score
Okay, that is definitely good to know. I'll ease a (little) bit of the pressure off Berhalter. My main issue then is why did he throw on two players (Zardes and Roldon) who are clearly the cream of the crop right now and clearly make the team better rather than start the fricking game with them?
That I don’t know..it’s probably player management or the tactical approach with Zardes and Dike who are both vintage #9s. Dike is one of the legit up and comers who is with this team because he is going back to his MLS team(Orlando), but Dike doesn’t appear to have the same form that he had in England a few months prior. I think Dike and Acosta both are MLS players that have a future with their European based contemporaries who aren’t on this squad. Zardes has played well, and perhaps has given berhalter something to think about for the next selection of players. It would be interesting to see how Zardes would fair with the best USA players behind him. Josh Sargent among a couple of others have seemed to be preferred in the top squad, but Sargent has not been scoring goals when given the chance. from the little that I have seen, I think Zardes has had more productive minutes than Dike has. I did not watch the Qatar match, but in the highlights Dike missed a goal that should have been put away.

lorenzotexan

Reaction score
I watched the end of the USWNT vs Netherlands, it was a thriller. I thought the USA were victims of some harsh offside decisions, but in the end won on a clinical penalty shootout performance.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody’s going to admit it, but I think Berhalter cares far less about winning in this tournament than he does about finding a couple guys for the Qualifying roster. So we see some players getting extended auditions over those who we know a ton about.

Stout

Reaction score
I swear, if this idiot freaking homer US announcer says "I think the US is doing really well here" as we get our asses kicked from one end of the field to another, I'm going to puke. I'd rather listen to the hordes of freaking Mexican fans booing us on our own turf than this fool. I get that you don't want to be a negative Nancy, but homerism has its limits, dude.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Awesome win.

Scrappy, disjointed, sloppy..... But a lot of desperate heart and a high compete level

Many of these players aren't going to have prominent starting futures..... But they sure look like they'll fight for whatever future they can and will push each other, hold each other accountable and grow - can definitely work with that

Love that the US is dos a cero with a trophy on the line against Mexico this summer

Stout

Reaction score
Yeah, gotta love it. They got pushed around, didn't play well, and had to scrap and get really lucky, but they won. Give those kids all the credit in the world. I'll take the ugly W.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The more I watch Miles Robinson the more impressed I am, you also have to love Hoppe's confidence--needs to mature a bit but he is only 20--has a little bit of Dempsey swagger about him. Paul Arriola put in a good tournament too and he was like the grizzled veteran at 26 yrs old.

Any win over Mexico is a good win, but considering we had maybe 2 players of 11 who have a chance to start a WCQ any time soon I'd say that was a great result.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
One last note, they need to get rid of those ugly red and blue kits--freaking ugly. The whites they wore last night were sharp though.

lorenzotexan

Reaction score
Nobody’s going to admit it, but I think Berhalter cares far less about winning in this tournament than he does about finding a couple guys for the Qualifying roster. So we see some players getting extended auditions over those who we know a ton about.
Some how berhalter inspired them and put them in a position to win a final over a superior talented Mexican side. I wondered if they would even make it to the final. I was curious for the hire of Berhalter initially, but Berhalter has the ship going in the right direction. At least a handful of MLS players have worked themselves into the discussion for the WCQT…and all of these players will feel they deserve to be there.

lorenzotexan

Reaction score
The more I watch Miles Robinson the more impressed I am, you also have to love Hoppe's confidence--needs to mature a bit but he is only 20--has a little bit of Dempsey swagger about him. Paul Arriola put in a good tournament too and he was like the grizzled veteran at 26 yrs old.

Any win over Mexico is a good win, but considering we had maybe 2 players of 11 who have a chance to start a WCQ any time soon I'd say that was a great result.
Arriola was really positive today. I thought Zardes had a good tournament as well, but missed an easy goal last night if he were onside. I think the forward position is still in play.

lorenzotexan

Reaction score
Yeah, gotta love it. They got pushed around, didn't play well, and had to scrap and get really lucky, but they won. Give those kids all the credit in the world. I'll take the ugly W.
I missed the first half, and saw most of the second. I counted 2 goals that Mexico could have scored if they were clinical. I thought the USA in spite of not having much possession also had 2 or 3 quality scoring chances that could have been taken. I think this roster from Mexico is very talented, but they are still lacking goals, for them possession doesn’t always mean winning. When they lost Lozano in the opening match, I think it doomed their chances to win. If I’m Mexico I’m questioning why they brought so many of their top players to this tournament only to hurt them mentally and physically, especially Lozano who now may struggle to be fit for his club team. They really need Raul Jimenez back in their squad.