The Official Mike Stoops Unemployment Thread

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hm, leading the charge for a new practice facility, landing a top 16 recruiting class (when was the last time that happened at ASU? ever?), and just generating interest in the program is quite an accomplishment considering where it was. Yes, he's done a fantastic job so far. The record was bad of course, but most of the guys on the team last year weren't even D1 (and certainly not Pac 10) level talent.

He's obviously got the team headed in the right direction and has done some very nice things, to try to say otherwise is just blatant UofA homerism.

EDIT: Though this is a UofA- Mike Stoops thread, so I should probably shut up and stop derailing.

Maybe you should stay at the ASU forum. You told Gee to get lost. This is a forum for UofA fans to post.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Maybe you should stay at the ASU forum. You told Gee to get lost. This is a forum for UofA fans to post.

Gee was being rude and borderline illiterate, thats why I told him to get lost. I don't think I was being rude about the Sendek situation, but perhaps I'm wrong.

OP
OP
MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
This attempt at a slam makes zero sense....Herb's done a fantastic job so far, even the biggest UofA supporter would have to admit that.
Based on Herb's history at NC State, he's the perfect complement at ASU for Arizona Basketball. He'll be good enough to make a competent travel partner that teams will have to pay attention to and is the complete opposite systemically as UofA. But like in Raleigh he will never be great enough to challenge the elite teams in the conference. Just look at his record versus UNC, Duke, Wake and Maryland and against ranked teams. But I'll admit he'll make tournaments (and make first weekend exits) and knock off the occasional big boy, which is probably good enough for you guys in basketball.

And the jury is still out on what Herb has done considering he finished last in the Pac-10 in his first year with an All Pac-10 player on his roster and the only impact recruit he got was a result of him hiring the kid's HS coach. ASU's 2008 recruiting class was terrible and so was 2007 outside of James Harden. That being said, I think Herb will be fine and do somwhat around what he did at State.

Last edited:

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just stopping by. Got nothing to contribute yet.

I liked Stoops and thought he'd succeed. Wrong on that one. Hiring a successful coordinator with no head coaching experience is always risky.

Hope the next coach makes the Cats competitive again.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, just save it for the Herb Sendek extension cause. Arizona fans want that guy around as long as possible.

See, you say that as a slam, but if Sendek ever gets to .500 in Pac-10 play us ASU fans just might deify him. Who needs high expectations?

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See, you say that as a slam, but if Sendek ever gets to .500 in Pac-10 play us ASU fans just might deify him. Who needs high expectations?

Yes. But the arena will still be half empty or worse for most games.

OP
OP
MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I've heard a lot of ASU fans say this but I don't buy it. Fans get sick of never getting over the hump no matter how bad you once were, just look at Tony Dungy and Tampa Bay or NC State and Herb. If Arizona continues their prominence in the post-Lute era just going .500 I guarantee won't be enough for ASU fan. If Arizons sinks to the bottom of the Pac-10 it probably would be but the boosters at Arizona will never let that happen.

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
Good win for the Cats. UCLA isn't a great team but they're no Washington State, either. It looks like the offense is finally starting to figure out Dykes' offense, so my question is if Stoops pulls off an upset against either Oregon or Arizona State do you give him at least one more year to see if he finally rights the ship?

His recruiting class is shaping up well again.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/ua/articles/1104uafoot1105.html

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ryan Bass who committed to the UofA this past weekend was told by Livengood that Stoops will be the coach next year. This should end all speculation whether he will be fired.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Ryan Bass who committed to the UofA this past weekend was told by Livengood that Stoops will be the coach next year. This should end all speculation whether he will be fired.

Thats all fine and well but I want to get recommitments from Golden and Robinson before we get all in a tizzy.

Im in the minority in that I want to keep Mike for next year giving Tui and the boys another year of Dyes offense.

But we need to get those kids on campus.

Furthermore lets have a good showing these next two games. UA the past three years will look like they turned the corner and then have some kind of inexplicable loss.

IMO We are going to get run by Oregon but I really like us to beat ASU should we continue to progress.

OP
OP
MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Yeah, you're right. I guess winning cures all ills, as if beating two bad teams is that big of an indicator.

I'm still on record saying that Stoops should be fired unless he wins out. This team could be pretty competitive with a little discipline and game management.

Last edited:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If he qualifies he will be an immediate impact player next year.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
The Cats got a re-commitment yesterday from CB Robert Golden, who had re-opened his recruitment a couple of months ago. Next year's class is looking really good.

4-star cornerback Golden recommits to UA
Golden originally committed to Cats before the summer, then looked around Pac-10
John Moredich
Tucson Citizen

Highly coveted cornerback Robert Golden went to sleep Monday night thinking about going to Oregon State.

But he woke up Tuesday with the Arizona Wildcats on his mind.

The 5-foot-10, 180-pound cornerback from Edison High School in Fresno, Calif., has had plenty of sleepless nights over the past month trying to come up with a final decision.

Golden thinks he will finally be able to slumber in peace, and so probably will UA coach Mike Stoops after the four-star prospect called the Wildcat coaches and gave an oral commitment Tuesday.

"I believe Arizona is where my heart is," Golden said. "If I follow my heart I can be successful."

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/daily/college/71892.php

Last edited:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Arizona expected to sign 5 junior college players
By Ryan Finley
Arizona Daily Star
Tucson, Arizona | Published: 12.19.2007

Vuna Tuihalamaka has spent the last four months studying Freud and Jung, Shinto and Islam.

Today, Arizona's top junior college recruit will turn his focus to football.

Tuihalamaka, a standout linebacker, is expected to sign a national letter of intent with the UA after qualifying academically.

Tuihalamaka was supposed to enroll at Arizona in August but was ruled academically ineligible. At Phoenix College, he took classes in psychology and world religions and earned passing grades.

Tuihalamaka will be on the UA campus when classes begin Jan.16.
"I'll be there. It's been too long. I'm too excited," Tuihalamaka told the Star on Tuesday. "I feel like the whole monkey is finally off my back."

Tuihalamaka is one of five recruits who are expected to sign with the UA today, the first day junior college players can do so.

None have a higher ceiling than Tuihalamaka, a 6-foot- 2-inch, 240-pound linebacker.

The Rivals.com recruiting service listed Tuihalamaka as a four-star recruit in 2006, when he was still at El Camino College in Torrance, Calif.

At the time, Tuihalamaka chose Arizona over New Mexico, Iowa State, Colorado and Oregon State. Tuihalamaka has motivation to attend the UA: His cousin, Apaiata, is a freshman linebacker with the Wildcats.

Arizona's recruits, and all junior college players, can sign national letters of intent until Jan. 15. The rest of Arizona's 2008 recruiting class can sign letters beginning Feb. 6.

http://www.azstarnet.com/sports/216898

OP
OP
MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Massive JUCO recruiting, the first sign of desperation by a coaching staff.

I'd like to get excited but who cares how great the class is if there's nobody that can coach them. Hopefully our coach in '09 can turn these guys into players and winners.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JUCO recruiting is not always a stop-gap strategy.

Dennis Erickson has used it often. When Lavell Edwards was at BYU, winning big time, he mined Snow college talent year after year for good players.

I swing back and forth on Stoops. But what's the alternative? I hope UA sticks with him for a while.

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
I have no problem with bringing in JUCO's to bolster the O-Line. I wouldn't really like bringing in JUCO skill position players though.

OP
OP
MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Yippee, Arizona just lost their best recruiter per the Daily Star in Darrell Wyatt so he could pursue a different gig. Pretty sure this was the same guy Mark Stoops almost got in a fight with on the sidelines during the Oregon game. He recruited most of the next recruiting class's top offensive talent. Look for some if not all to back out of their commitments.

The good times continue for Arizona Football, nice work on giving Stoops another year.

Last edited:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Wyatt left to become OC at Southern Miss, which is a promotion. That isn't a negative reflection on the UA program, in fact, it is a positive one.

If players de-commit because of it, then there isn't much that anyone at UA can do about it.