The Official Mike Stoops Unemployment Thread

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Six more games until he's mercifully done and Arizona can move forward. Not to mention a topic to keep Arizona fans talking while we get blown out every Saturday waiting for hoops season to start.

Here's a couple articles on rumored potential replacements. Both names should be familiar to any Arizonan that follows college athletics. It's highly doubtful Pelini would come here, he'll get better offers in both opportunity and money. Clancy would get a nice raise were he to come back to Arizona, but knowing Jim Livengood he'll target someone who can sell tickets first. The other usual West Coast suspects (Chow, Price, Slick Rick) will hang around this job as well.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;...vrYF?slug=jn-pelini101107&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=287800

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Six more games until he's mercifully done and Arizona can move forward. Not to mention a topic to keep Arizona fans talking while we get blown out every Saturday waiting for hoops season to start.

Here's a couple articles on rumored potential replacements. Both names should be familiar to any Arizonan that follows college athletics. It's highly doubtful Pelini would come here, he'll get better offers in both opportunity and money. Clancy would get a nice raise were he to come back to Arizona, but knowing Jim Livengood he'll target someone who can sell tickets first. The other usual West Coast suspects (Chow, Price, Slick Rick) will hang around this job as well.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;...vrYF?slug=jn-pelini101107&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=287800

Stoops will be the UofA coach next year. If they don't get to a bowl next year, he will be gone. They are not going to fire him. I am so sure of it, I will bet anyone who disagrees. Livengood will give him his five years. Look at Kentucky and Rutgers, they both improved dramatically in the fifth year.

OP
OP
MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Stoops will be the UofA coach next year. If they don't get to a bowl next year, he will be gone. They are not going to fire him. I am so sure of it, I will bet anyone who disagrees. Livengood will give him his five years. Look at Kentucky and Rutgers, they both improved dramatically in the fifth year.
I'll take that bet. Stoops is toast, the writing on the wall couldn't be any clearer.

Kentucky also has Rich Brooks, a proven winner at the collegiate ranks to the point he became an NFL head coach. Brooks also took a probation-laden program at a basketball school to 8-5 in his fourth year while your boy Stoops is on his merrily way to 4-8 at best. Greg Schiano was also tremendously well-liked around Miami and Jersey by players and fans alike which is more than I can say for Stoops during his time in Oklahoma and Tucson. Not to mention Rutgers had much, much less to work with than Arizona when Schiano arrived.

Just waity until you see Arizona Staduim for the Stanford game. It's morgue-like state should be all Livengood and Shelton need to see before they pull the trigger on this facade. And if you think that game will be bad - check back with me with next year's attendance if we keep Stoops.

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If a change is made at Arizona, look for Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast to be a viable candidate. He is an underrated tactician who quietly has built a strong resume. Those in the know know about Pendergast. That's why Ken Whisenhunt retained him from Dennis Green's staff. Plus, Pendergast is an Arizona alum with a passion for the university.

Pendergast has been in the NFL since 1995 but has worked at Mississippi State, USC, Oklahoma and UAB.

Can't have him...

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
If/when Stoops gets canned I hope the university hires someone with Arizona ties like Pendergast or Ricky Hunley.

I have no faith, however, that the third time will be the charm for Livengood. He has been riding Cedric Dempsey's coattails his whole tenure. I think Andy Lopez has been his only decent coaching hire.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'll take that bet. Stoops is toast, the writing on the wall couldn't be any clearer.

Kentucky also has Rich Brooks, a proven winner at the collegiate ranks to the point he became an NFL head coach. Brooks also took a probation-laden program at a basketball school to 8-5 in his fourth year while your boy Stoops is on his merrily way to 4-8 at best. Greg Schiano was also tremendously well-liked around Miami and Jersey by players and fans alike which is more than I can say for Stoops during his time in Oklahoma and Tucson. Not to mention Rutgers had much, much less to work with than Arizona when Schiano arrived.

Just waity until you see Arizona Staduim for the Stanford game. It's morgue-like state should be all Livengood and Shelton need to see before they pull the trigger on this facade. And if you think that game will be bad - check back with me with next year's attendance if we keep Stoops.

I know some people in the athletic department and they are almost certain Stoops will be back. Let's not make the wager too much, so let's say $100.00. Let me know if you're interested.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I know some people in the athletic department and they are almost certain Stoops will be back. Let's not make the wager too much, so let's say $100.00. Let me know if you're interested.
I'll bet that one of Mike Stoops or Jim Livengood (whose departure would end Stoops' reign rather quickly) is not at their position come next school year.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'll bet that one of Mike Stoops or Jim Livengood (whose departure would end Stoops' reign rather quickly) is not at their position come next school year.

The bet would be Mike Stoops being fired. The started this thread by saying, "Six more games until he's mercifully done and Arizona can move forward."

It has nothing to do with Livengood's job security. If you want to bet about Stoops beinb fired, let me know.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've got to figure out how to pay for Stoops' buyout and a new coach's contract, first. That's not even counting if the new coach is a current head coach with a buyout plan.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You've got to figure out how to pay for Stoops' buyout and a new coach's contract, first. That's not even counting if the new coach is a current head coach with a buyout plan.

That is true. Plus you have to look at if they fire Stoops, recruiting is shot and in 2-3 years the impact will be felt again. Stoops inherited a very bad situation. Mackovic had destroyed the program and it was going to take awhile to get it going again.

He made improvements last year as the Cats got six wins. This year the defense has been a disappointment but you can see the young talent this team has. Last week Holmes was benched in favor of freshman Ricky Elmore, and he showed he is going to be a player. As for Holmes, this guy has been a big bust. You can really never tell how a JC guy is going to do. It's really a crap shoot.

Like I said before, you give him the five years he was promised to get this program going, and if he fails to get a bowl game next year, you then look for a new coach. By the way, the Cats should get off to a fast start next year with Idaho and Toledo at home and then travel to New Mexico.

OP
OP
MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure if ASU could figure out how to buy out a coach with three years left on his deal then so could Arizona. Both athletic departments are pretty comparble budget-wise and in donations.

Like I said before, you give him the five years he was promised to get this program going, and if he fails to get a bowl game next year, you then look for a new coach. By the way, the Cats should get off to a fast start next year with Idaho and Toledo at home and then travel to New Mexico.
That's what everyone said this year when Stoops insisted on scheduling a rebuilding BYU squad and two patsies in NAU and New Mexico. We went 1-2. Yeah, Mackovic ruined the program but unfortunately Stoops is continuing that tradition of pathetic football. I could care less what Stoops was promised, as far as I'm concerned he promised wins and is failing to live up to his end of the bargain.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I bet Rutgers and Kentucky are glad they did not fire their coaches after their 4th year. I remember Rutger fans wanted Schiano gone but the AD stuck with him and now he has them going to bowls games. Schiano was an assistant coach with no head coaching experience before getting the Rutgers job. As for Brooks, Kentucky fans thought he was passt his prime. They wanted him fired after they lost to Louisville last year.

We are all UofA fans here and many have graduated from there. We all bleed red and blue. We all want the Cats to win but I don't want this to get into a heated argument, so I will not talk about should Stoops be fired or not anymore. I also am rescinding my bet because I realized betting on wether a UofA coach will be fired or not with a fellow Cat fan is un-Bear Down like.:cats:

Let's hope the Cats can turn this around soon. Everyone have a Bear Down day!

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure if ASU could figure out how to buy out a coach with three years left on his deal then so could Arizona. Both athletic departments are pretty comparble budget-wise and in donations.

As an ASU fan with some strong ties in the AD's office, I'm not so sure they figured it out. As I understand it they had enough money from a few boosters to pay for the exchange but they may have to do a serious cash call in Year 2 or Year 3 to pay for Erickson's big ol' contract. Bad timing what with $160 million needed to fix SDS and $30 million needed for the indoor practice facility.

But I guess UA doesn't have a crumbling stadium to fix so maybe things are better there.

OP
OP
MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
As an ASU fan with some strong ties in the AD's office, I'm not so sure they figured it out. As I understand it they had enough money from a few boosters to pay for the exchange but they may have to do a serious cash call in Year 2 or Year 3 to pay for Erickson's big ol' contract. Bad timing what with $160 million needed to fix SDS and $30 million needed for the indoor practice facility.
And if Erickson wins the boosters will gladly pony up the money to pay the contract, if he doesn't they'll push back the rehab work that's not technically necessary at Sun Devil such as concourse renovations at the concessions and bathrooms. Cal can't afford Tedford'a contract either (1.8 million salary for an athletic department that is similar in budget to the Arizona schools), but winning is vital to that athletic department so they move the numbers around to make it happen. I'd prefer Arizona buy out Stoops, get a real coach, and push back the idiotic stadium expansion idea Livengood is pushing.

HooverDam

Reaction score
By the way, the Cats should get off to a fast start next year with Idaho and Toledo at home and then travel to New Mexico.

Good gravy, UofA's OOC scheduling is an embarrassment.

I'd prefer Arizona buy out Stoops, get a real coach, and push back the idiotic stadium expansion idea Livengood is pushing.

I haven't heard anything about this. Are there any renderings of what the expanded stadium would look like? Or is it just an idea in Livengoods brain at this point?

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good gravy, UofA's OOC scheduling is an embarrassment.

I haven't heard anything about this. Are there any renderings of what the expanded stadium would look like? Or is it just an idea in Livengoods brain at this point?

The UofA has had one of the toughest no-conference schedules the past 3-4 years.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Stoops greatest value has been his recruiting ability. Problem is some of these recruits just haven't panned out. Also some sophmores (T. Reese, T. Turner, Dean, Ross, & Simmons @ DE) should be on the field alot more if not starting.

Now it looks like Stoops is losing his recruiting niche as Gerrell Robinson has de-committed and is looking at successful college programs and is looking at ASU where former teammates LB Colin Parker & WR Kerry Taylor play.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I talked to my friend in the athletic department last night and he told me there is growing concern there. He still thinks Stoops will be here next year but he is not 100%. He told me with ASU doing so well under Erickson, that is not helping Stoops.

As for ASU, they now have two weeks to prepare for Cal. I think they will be 8-0 going up to Eugene. That should be a great game and decide who wins the Pac-10.

OP
OP
MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I talked to my friend in the athletic department last night and he told me there is growing concern there. He still thinks Stoops will be here next year but he is not 100%. He told me with ASU doing so well under Erickson, that is not helping Stoops.
Please. There has been concern for years but Stoops was officially toast after the New Mexico embarrassment. ASU's success or misfortune has nothing to do with Arizona except that perhaps Phoenix-based UA boosters might chip in slightly more when ASU does well so they don't have to hear future bragging out of the drive-thru speaker.

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
My big concern w/ Stoops is that in watching UofA games for the past several years I can't see many players who have progressed under his coaching. It doesn't seem like players progress from year-to-year. This season he was returning most of his defense and it didn't look like a year of experience did them any good whatsoever.

OP
OP
MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
My big concern w/ Stoops is that in watching UofA games for the past several years I can't see many players who have progressed under his coaching. It doesn't seem like players progress from year-to-year. This season he was returning most of his defense and it didn't look like a year of experience did them any good whatsoever.
It's not that the players don't progress it's that most of the players flat out don't care. Mike Stoops doesn't care about his players - he frankly never did at Arizona nor did he at Oklahoma. All he wanted was a head coaching gig that would eventually propel him to the next one. The guy had no intentions of staying at Arizona, just to win enough to leave while throwing the players or assistant coaches under the bus if there were struggles. The opt-out clauses in his contracts say as much. Seriously, essentially telling his players they suck from Day 1 is a little Mackovic-esque wouldn't you say?

Jim Livengood's choices have ruined college for many terrific Wildcats who as people deserved better (Spencer Larsen, Antoine Cason, Mike Bell being three of the best examples) than the self-absorbed, maniacal headcases he chose to run Arizona Football for the last seven years. He needs to go right along with Stoops and our new President can find a couple guys who he sees fit to take the program where it needs to go.

OP
OP
MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
It's basically putting regular seats where the bleachers currently are in the north endzone to "close" off the stadium. Other minor rehab upgrades such as luxury suites, bathroom and concession upgrades, and scoreboard changes would likely be made as well. Personally, I'd rather win, sell out every game, and charge a fortune for tickets like McKale Center and use the money at that point for any upgrades if necessary.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Livengood stands behind Stoops. He says Stoops will be back next year.
http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/ss/frontpage/65924.php

Livengood's support of Stoops unwavering
JOHN MOREDICH
Tucson Citizen
Jim Livengood is standing by his man.
The University of Arizona's athletic director said football coach Mike Stoops' job is safe despite Web sites and fans on talk radio questioning his status and calling for his firing.
"I have absolutely capital N, capital O no reason to believe that we should be panicking whatsoever," Livengood told the Citizen on Monday.
Arizona is 2-5 and in a tie for seventh place in the Pac-10 with a 1-3 mark after losing two straight games in Stoops' fourth year at the helm.
Stoops, who has a 14-27 record since taking over in 2004, will return to coach the Wildcats, Livengood said.
"Absolutely, without question. I totally believe he is the guy to do it," he said.
The football staff, Livengood added, has not been told the Cats must play in a bowl game this year or be terminated before Stoops' contract expires after the 2010 season.
"Absolutely false," Livengood said. "That has not been said by me and not by anybody else."
The Wildcats entered the year with low expectations in national polls, predicted to finish between sixth and ninth in the Pac-10.
But coaches, players and fans felt Arizona could end an eight-year bowl drought because 19 starters returned from last year's 6-6 team and the Cats adopted a spread passing offense under new offensive coordinator Sonny Dykes.
The Wildcats need to win at least four of the remaining five games to become bowl eligible. Winning all five gives the Cats their most realistic chance of appearing in a bowl since the 1998 Holiday against Nebraska.
Fans and pundits have asked what would happen if Arizona ends the season at 3-9 or 4-8. Livengood made it clear there is no magic number for victories.
"Those people don't know anything," he said, "unless they are talking to somebody that I am talking to, and I am talking to people that make the difference to make those decisions."

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson