The Official Hot Stove thread

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
According to ESPNews, The Dbacks have traded Stephen Randolph to the Cubs for a player to be named later.

Minor deal but I'm curious as to what we'll get in return

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
According to ESPNews, The Dbacks have traded Stephen Randolph to the Cubs for a player to be named later.

Minor deal but I'm curious as to what we'll get in return

sammy sosa?? lol

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I heard on the radio one of the guys we're supposed to get for Hillenbrand is Adam Peterson. Someone else can look him up if they're so inclined.

Stan C

Veteran
Reaction score
According to Bob Kemp on KDUS, he's a closer prospect and did well in double A, not well went they brought him up the end of the season. BA has him rated as #18 on the Toronto prospect list.

Moose Lady

Veteran
Reaction score
Well, now we find out that the team is interested in Tony Clark, Olerud and possibly Travis Lee. TRAVIS LEE????????????

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Moose Lady said:
Well, now we find out that the team is interested in Tony Clark, Olerud and possibly Travis Lee. TRAVIS LEE????????????

God, is this a name your crappy over the hill first baseman game?

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moose Lady said:

Um, why? Our infield is obviously filled, both starting and on the bench.

AZZenny

Reaction score
The Devil Rays and first-round pick Jeff Niemann have agreed to terms on a five-year major league contract that guarantees the former Rice righthander $5.2 million, including a signing bonus of $3.2 million.

Niemann, the fourth overall pick, had been one of three remaining unsigned first-rounders still negotiating with the clubs that drafted them. His former Rice teammate, Philip Humber, signed Jan. 11 with the Mets, who drafted him one slot ahead of Niemann. The two remaining unsigned first-rounders are Long Beach State righthander Jered Weaver, who went 12th overall to the Angels, and Florida State shortstop Stephen Drew, who went 15th to the Diamondbacks.
Since I haven't heard that Stephen Drew is back in class (and this article suggests he's not) then I'd think this might nudge things closer towards signing him. Niemann got $1 Million more than Humber, but still, some difference between #3 or #4 and #15. I know Boras will make the argument he WAS a #3 or 4, just didn't get picked there.

Our recent discussion of options made me realize that if he's given a 40-man roster spot as part of the deal, as they've demanded, then we have 3 years to get him permanently to the big club, right? In his case, he'd start right out on option #1, wouldn't he?

I still really don't like throwing that much dough at prospects, when it's been shown the vast majority of big-bonus guys do not pay off, and especially a kid who'd obviously much rather think about money than baseball.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stephen Drew has not attended class and still is eligible to sign with the Diamondbacks.

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
Our recent discussion of options made me realize that if he's given a 40-man roster spot as part of the deal, as they've demanded, then we have 3 years to get him permanently to the big club, right? In his case, he'd start right out on option #1, wouldn't he?
[/COLOR]

Yeppers. That's part of the Boras plan. The sooner they are required to be on the 40 man, the sooner the big paydays.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Interesting tidbit on Vazquez in Jayson Starks latest column

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1971920

Despite stories out of Arizona that Javier Vazquez has reassured the Diamondbacks he's cool with sticking around the desert, Vazquez has continued to tell people who have spoken with him that he wants to be traded somewhere on the east coast.

An official of one club that has talked with the Diamondbacks believes they're at least mulling a Baltimore offer of Eric Bedard, Jorge Julio and a prospect. But the Phillies got nowhere dangling a package headed by Randy Wolf. And Florida apparently has decided to hang onto A.J. Burnett and go with the pitching it already has.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Koplove signed a 2 year, $2M contract ($825K this year and $1.175 M next), leaving only Fossum facing arbitration. Fossum wants $1.35M and DBacks are offering $800K. I hope they don't sign him to anything long-term. If they do go to arbitration, it would be fun to be a fly on the wall.

Actually, it might be good for them to go to arbitration now and then - it would force them to take a hard, skeptical, statistical look at the player in order to make a strong case for their lower offer and against his higher demand. Fossum would be a good place to start!

Also sounds like they are not close to a CF acquisition at the present time, although still sifting through what's out there.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Hideo Nomo signed a one year minor league contract with the Devil Rays which will be worth 800k if he makes the bigs. I don't know why we didn't look into this considering his splits at BOB as well as his past numbers. If he was still hurt, he would bomb in ST and end up in Tucson or the retiremenet home. If Nomo's healthy, then we potentially have a solid #2/3. Oh well.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Hideo Nomo signed a one year minor league contract with the Devil Rays which will be worth 800k if he makes the bigs. I don't know why we didn't look into this considering his splits at BOB as well as his past numbers. If he was still hurt, he would bomb in ST and end up in Tucson or the retiremenet home. If Nomo's healthy, then we potentially have a solid #2/3. Oh well.

Especially considering our penchant for signing players that play well against us... :D