The official Dave Ramsey thread

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread is all about Dave Ramsey and getting out of debt.

Here is a transcript of Dave's recent appearance on 60 minutes...Dave Ramsey on 60 Minutes

Many of us here are getting out of debt using the principles shown to us by Dave Ramsey. Feel free to share your personal stories of getting out of debt or stupid financial mistakes you've made in the past, etc.

To find out more about Dave, check out his site: DaveRamsey.com

My wife and I used to have as many as 17 credit cards, by the time you include gas cards, department store cards - like Sears and Target, etc. Now, between us, we have ZERO credit cards. We'll never go into debt again for a purchase. It's a feeling of relief just knowing that. By December 2005, or sooner, we'll be completely debt free except for our house. :thumbup:

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I love credit cards because it helps me keep track of my money.. I've never been in debt and I think I'm too paranoid about something like that to ever be in debt..but then when I get married and have kids who knows? I'll have more to worry about than just myself...

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought the book and really wanted to try it.

But I make very little money, and tuition/books/apartment/food/clothes etc just force me to use my credit cards.

Sigh.

Someday!!!

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
SunCardfan said:
I love credit cards because it helps me keep track of my money.. I've never been in debt and I think I'm too paranoid about something like that to ever be in debt..but then when I get married and have kids who knows? I'll have more to worry about than just myself...

lol! I got married and haven't seen cash since!

Seriously though we use credit cards the majority of the time for the same reason. Easy to track where the money went and reciepts for taxes in a nice little (figuratively speaking) package.

Just make dang sure you pay it off every month.

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AzCards21 said:
lol! I got married and haven't seen cash since!
My husband saw a bumper sticker once that he wants to get. It said: "Driver carries no cash, he's married."

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
actually - dave ramsey's website doesn't accept credit cards for purchasing anything there - so if you bought it on credit card you didn't buy it from him directly.

the wife and i have been using his principles and following his plan since last feb (thanks to BIM for harrassing me for nearly a year about doing it!). best thing we've ever done - in the past 9 months or so we've already paid off about $14k in debt. plus we just paid off another bill today. on a roll...

shawn

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well I need my credit card because I have expense reports to send in for my job. I better send them in quickly too.. One time I was nearing $10,000 in a week! :eek: It kind of sucks holding on to all of the receipts all of the time :(

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SunCardfan said:
Well I need my credit card because I have expense reports to send in. I better send them in quickly too.. One time I was nearing $10,000 in a week! :eek:

what the heck? what do you do that you rack up 10k in a week?

shawn

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FischerKing said:
actually - dave ramsey's website doesn't accept credit cards for purchasing anything there - so if you bought it on credit card you didn't buy it from him directly.

the wife and i have been using his principles and following his plan since last feb (thanks to BIM for harrassing me for nearly a year about doing it!). best thing we've ever done - in the past 9 months or so we've already paid off about $14k in debt. plus we just paid off another bill today. on a roll...

shawn
:thumbup: VERY good job! I've heard AMAZING things about Ramsey! We haven't gone through it, but we went through a program through our church quite a few years ago that made a huge difference in our lives. Right now, the ONLY debt we have is our house, my hubby's car (mine's PAID OFF) and one smaller student loan. The student loan will be gone in a couple of months, leaving us just house and car. We have credit cards, but they are at ZERO balance and it feels GOOOOOOD! We scrimped and saved and pinched every penny around to make it happen. We went SIX, yes SIX years being a ONE car family. It was hell, but we did it. I stayed home with the kids and once or twice a week, I'd drive hubby to work (25 miles ONE WAY) and pick him up at the end of his day. That way I could run errands and such. It takes a lot of sacrifice and dedication to be debt free, but in the end, it's absolutely worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my wife and i shared a vehicle for the first 4 years we were married and didn't buy a second one until we pretty much had to. prior to that we always worked within a few miles of each other, then her office moved to tempe and i got a job in north phoenix while we were living in the west valley. then a single car didn't cut it anymore.

but we're still working through it all - probably another 18 months before all we have is a house payment. we ditched all our credit cards about 2 years ago - before we got on the DR plan. we pay cash for everything we do - vacations, bills, purchases, etc.

shawn

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
FischerKing said:
what the heck? what do you do that you rack up 10k in a week?

shawn

Well once I had to buy five computers and by a lot of plastic.. huge rolls of it.. That stuff can add up quickly! I think the one I'm doing this weekend is going to be about 2500..

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FischerKing said:
my wife and i shared a vehicle for the first 4 years we were married and didn't buy a second one until we pretty much had to. prior to that we always worked within a few miles of each other, then her office moved to tempe and i got a job in north phoenix while we were living in the west valley. then a single car didn't cut it anymore.

but we're still working through it all - probably another 18 months before all we have is a house payment. we ditched all our credit cards about 2 years ago - before we got on the DR plan. we pay cash for everything we do - vacations, bills, purchases, etc.

shawn
Yeah, we only bought a second car this past summer because it became a need vs. a want. Our oldest started Kindergarten this year, it's a private school (which we pay CASH for!) so no school bus. I have to drive her there and pick her up every day. Therefore, owning 2 cars jumped to the top of the priority list.

Isn't it a great feeling to not have credit and debt rule your life anymore? We still HAVE our cards, but we don't use them. They just sit in a drawer. I have one that I gets airline miles that I use when I have a new subscriber that wants to pay for their subscription with a check. I have them write the check to me and I put it on that card, then pay off the card as soon as the bill comes in. That way I earn the airline miles. :D

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CQ said:
Yeah, we only bought a second car this past summer because it became a need vs. a want. Our oldest started Kindergarten this year, it's a private school (which we pay CASH for!) so no school bus. I have to drive her there and pick her up every day. Therefore, owning 2 cars jumped to the top of the priority list.

Isn't it a great feeling to not have credit and debt rule your life anymore? We still HAVE our cards, but we don't use them. They just sit in a drawer. I have one that I gets airline miles that I use when I have a new subscriber that wants to pay for their subscription with a check. I have them write the check to me and I put it on that card, then pay off the card as soon as the bill comes in. That way I earn the airline miles. :D

:thumbup:

shawn

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
marathon_mom said:
He doesn't take plastic. Nice funny though.:)

I know Dave doesn't take plastic - just havin some fun :)

When I first moved to Nashville a couple of years ago, Dave had billboards all over town with his face, and the caption "Visualize World Peace, but with the World crossed out and Financial scribbled in.

If I go to my partners work, I have to drive by "Financial Peace Plaza" where Dave's empire is located.

marathon_mom

Bring it on!!!
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
I know Dave doesn't take plastic - just havin some fun :)

When I first moved to Nashville a couple of years ago, Dave had billboards all over town with his face, and the caption "Visualize World Peace, but with the World crossed out and Financial scribbled in.

If I go to my partners work, I have to drive by "Financial Peace Plaza" where Dave's empire is located.
Way cool. Hey, when are you coming out...oh yeah, you already did that. I mean, when are you coming to Phoenix? Love to take you bar hopping, if you're interested. ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson