The Official 2014 World Cup Thread

Lorenzo

Reaction score
if he was anywhere near that he wouldn't be at Everton.

Why is Casillas still at real? I don't see him as elite...just perhaps the most popular/best Spanish keeper. Sometimes your club team isn't indicative of your status because there aren't many true elite club team spots. Howard has been in that discussion before is all I'm saying and when it counted most he was great. If your keeper played a great game you'd be hyping him up and that would make it absolute fact though? Again it is opinion and subjective.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Now JK's/usmnt tactics vs Germany are vindicated. Opening it up vs them likely would have sent us home that day. They are just that good. But Brazil were lucky to be there.

Oh, his tactics against Germany weren't terrible. I didn't like them in the other games (until they HAD to attack), but we had to play it close to the vest against Germany.

This result was less to do with how great Germany is (they're a top world team, no doubt) and more to do with how bad/injured/suspended Brazil is.

Stout

Reaction score
After that game against Spain, the Dutch didn't look that great. They were smart enough to play solid defense first, because that was always their best shot. Lack of ambition and offense cost them in the end.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Can't wait for Germany vs Argentina on Sunday ... I was rooting for Germany, up until IF they played Argentina ... sooo ... Go Gauchos! :)

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I thought it was a very enjoyable final. Deserved win for Germany IMO. Congrats.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Germany was the best team in this tourney and deserved the win. Good on them.

Stout

Reaction score
Great game, and a great final. I'm glad it didn't go to penalties because it would have cheapened it. Not much separated them either, so close was the game. Howedes (sp?) could easily have been sent off early, and probably should have (studs up on the inner thigh?) and Aguero could have easily been sent off in extra time. Good opportunities for both sides. Great tournament. Good stuff. Congrats to a deserving Germany.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
That Hoewedes foul was never a red and he got a yellow so all good.

However Mascherano (3 very much yellow worthy fouls on Schweinsteiger after he was already booked) and Aguero HAD to be sent off (could have been even a straight red but he already was on a yellow), Palacio should have even followed probably when the comitted a tactical foul clearly grabbing a jersey when he was on a yellow already.

The ref had a terrible game - the yellow card he gave Schweinsteiger after 10 minutes was almost nothing at all and then he let Argies get away with many ugly fouls and not punish them at all.

Stout

Reaction score
That Hoewedes foul was never a red and he got a yellow so all good.

However Mascherano (3 very much yellow worthy fouls on Schweinsteiger after he was already booked) and Aguero HAD to be sent off (could have been even a straight red but he already was on a yellow), Palacio should have even followed probably when the comitted a tactical foul clearly grabbing a jersey when he was on a yellow already.

The ref had a terrible game - the yellow card he gave Schweinsteiger after 10 minutes was almost nothing at all and then he let Argies get away with many ugly fouls and not punish them at all.

How is it your team can win the world cup, and all you can do is bitch about the refs? This is hilarious, homerism and all!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great game, and a great final. I'm glad it didn't go to penalties because it would have cheapened it. Not much separated them either, so close was the game. Howedes (sp?) could easily have been sent off early, and probably should have (studs up on the inner thigh?) and Aguero could have easily been sent off in extra time. Good opportunities for both sides. Great tournament. Good stuff. Congrats to a deserving Germany.

Totally agree. Fantastic world cup all the way to the end. Made me into a soccer fan (at least a world cup fan) which I never thought would happen.

As for the final I think both teams had their chances to win it. I was very impressed with Argentina early on but they seemed to wear down towards the end of regulation. Glad it didn't go to a shootout as well. A well deserved win by Germany. One hell of a score by Götze for the win.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose