The Official 2014 World Cup Thread

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The more I think about it, I am rather disappointed in how we went out. I think JK did us a severe disservice in our tactics. Pulling back, playing scared, coming out of our shell only when we had to. Bunkering is never fun. Plus, we showed that when we decided to push forward, we could hang with anyone. I admired how Chile chased the game against Brazil. Sure, they lost in the end, but from start to finish, they gave it their all. We gave it our all, too, and I'm proud of the team, but we were hampered by our tactics.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more I think about it, I am rather disappointed in how we went out. I think JK did us a severe disservice in our tactics. Pulling back, playing scared, coming out of our shell only when we had to. Bunkering is never fun. Plus, we showed that when we decided to push forward, we could hang with anyone. I admired how Chile chased the game against Brazil. Sure, they lost in the end, but from start to finish, they gave it their all. We gave it our all, too, and I'm proud of the team, but we were hampered by our tactics.

Without those tactics, we lose out on the knockouts due to goal differential?

Stout

Reaction score
Without those tactics, we lose out on the knockouts due to goal differential?

I don't think so. The way we played when not bound by those tactics, we would have done better against Ghana. Okay, for the Germany game, I don't blame JK, because it was a touchy situation. Against Belgium? He set us up for failure. Only Timmy's brave performance even kept us in the game.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think so. The way we played when not bound by those tactics, we would have done better against Ghana. Okay, for the Germany game, I don't blame JK, because it was a touchy situation. Against Belgium? He set us up for failure. Only Timmy's brave performance even kept us in the game.

As Shane says, nope.

Haha.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

The US doesn't have the talent to play attacking football. Klinsmann is not a *******, he played to maximize their chance to get points despite having less talent.

Donovan is full of it.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The US doesn't have the talent to play attacking football. Klinsmann is not a *******, he played to maximize their chance to get points despite having less talent.

Donovan is full of it.

Yep.

Stout

Reaction score

Donovan is full of it.

Yet they brought the game to the, what was it, 4th ranked team in the world? Your boring Euro bias is showing again.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
4th best world playing basically without their top 3 players. Besides how many times do I need to tell you that FIFA world rankings are meaningless and nobody gives them any credibility?

Stout

Reaction score
4th best world playing basically without their top 3 players. Besides how many times do I need to tell you that FIFA world rankings are meaningless and nobody gives them any credibility?

:rolleyes: You're wrong, an arrogant tool with a giant 'I know more about soccer than anyone else' stick up your bum, and I'm not going to cowtow to it, Slin.

When we attacked, we looked dangerous. Go ahead and say we didn't, but it'll make you sound stupid. Still. We bunkered v Ghana, but turned it on when they tied us up and got a goal. We turned it on against Portugal and got the goals when we needed. We didn't really turn it on against Germany, but still had good chances in the 2nd. We turned it on against Belgium when we went down, got a goal, and had plenty of chances to level. We looked damn good when JK let the team attack. So stuff your arrogance, eh?

Now go ahead and correct me by saying football, not soccer ;)

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They're not totally meaningless, but they're often misused.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
2-0 Germany. I hope they destroy Brazil today. Still bitter.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ricky Gervais ‏@rickygervais 6m
This won't be the first time that thousands of Germans will have to lie low in Brazil for a while for their own safety.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Now JK's/usmnt tactics vs Germany are vindicated. Opening it up vs them likely would have sent us home that day. They are just that good. But Brazil were lucky to be there.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose