The Next Great QB Class

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Harry, May 9, 2019.

1. Harry

Harry ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer

Okay, let’s say Murray fails. I think that scenario is unlikely but it’s not impossible. In fact a severe injury possibility will always hang over Murray as it does with most running QBs. The Cards then figure to be in the top 5 drafting, so could they do the unthinkable and pick another round 1 QB for the third year in a row. That would, of course, set a new standard for futility. Fortunately the next draft will include an outstanding group of QBs.

It’s unlikely but let’s also consider KK might still be the coach. I’ll be following how much progress Ehlinger makes at Texas. He might not come out but his 2018 performance was sound though it was ignored because of the focus on Murray. He threw for 25 TDs and ran for 15 more. He needs to work on advanced skills like looking off safeties, throwing receivers open and working through progressions. He also needs to show the poise needed to stay in the pocket and shift with subtle movements. We’ve seen QBs at this stage of development move forward quickly. He’s worth watching.

Hurts at OK is another QB that is clearly suited to KK’s offense. He should flourish in Riley’s offense. Again he has tons of raw talent but he lacks the sophistication to assure he will make it in the NFL. He also could move forward quickly but it’s unlikely he’ll be an immediate NFL starter.

I’m sure some are thinking I skipped Tagovailoa. He’s less of a runner than the other to but he can move. His agility, accuracy and arm strength likely means he could run KK’s offense.

If things go so badly KK is dumped and the Cards end up with the first pick again, Tagovailoa will almost surely be the pick. Barring a major regression he grades easily atop the QB pool.

Herbert from OR should have come out in 2019. He would likely have gone second. Some feel he’s regressing but he’s been through enough coaching changes to derail most prospects. If you’re looking for a pocket passer he’ll likely be a solid, but not flashy option.

Fromm from GA was the hot new guy 2 years ago. His development never quite matched the hype. He’s strictly a pocket passer and needs to be well protected. He doesn’t move well in the pocket, but if you can give him time he’ll put the ball in the right place. He’s been backed by a good running attack, which may be needed for him to succeed in the NFL.

There are probably a half dozen more QBs that could be Haskins-like with a few breaks. I suspect one or two will emerge. So if the sky falls at least the Cards will have decent options.

2. Southpaw

Southpaw Provocateur aka Wallyburger Contributor

[​IMG]

cardjunkie, vince56, dscher and 3 others like this.
  3. BW52

BW52 Registered

IMO Murray and KK get at least 3 years to succeed.I have doubts SK would blow everything up again.IMO Murray/KK gets a mulligan from the FO/MB for this coming season.I think SK doesn`t want to look like a bigger idiot by drafting a QB in RD 1 three years in a row.

Goldfield and dscher like this.
  4. Veer

Veer Registered

Next year's QB class is always the greatest QB class... until we dig deeper and find out it's not. Aside from the fact that we won't blow everything up again, unless we suffer a Wilks-like season in terms of not being remotedly competitive. And even then, I think KK/Murray would get at least another year.

5. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain Captain of Team Murray

Costello from Stanford is pretty good too. He's started 1 1/2 years already and put up good numbers last year.

6. fartblossom

fartblossom Registered

It’s always next years class. Mahomes and Watson were well behind Darnold in most people’s eyes the year they came out. Everybody was tanking for Sam.

7. Delmar M Lewis

Delmar M Lewis Registered

SK wouldn't have to he will be gone, and the new GM will want "His" guy does that sound familiar

8. JeffGollin

JeffGollin Registered User

Raises the question - Is one QB class truly better or worse than a preceding or following draft class? Or is this mainly an illusion? (i.e. Do QB classes from year to year, have pretty much the same quantity and quality of talent)?

Harry, what do you think?

9. Vacard

Vacard Registered

Herbert is not that good, he’s a worse prospect then Mariota when coming out.

GatorAZ likes this.
  10. Cardinal

Cardinal Registered

Next year’s QB class is overrated.

PACardsFan likes this.
  11. GoldGloveschmidt

GoldGloveschmidt Registered

Trevor Lawrence is the only QB prospect out there to get excited about, and he'll be a 2021 draft pick.

12. Red Bird

Red Bird Registered

If we're going to flame out again, I would want it to be for him.

13. Goldfield

Goldfield Formally known as BEERZ

Seriously? What a joke. There is zero correlation that smaller players = more injuries. Ask Gronk @ 6’7”

14. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

We're riding this train straight off the Kliff whether we like it or not, for at least two years.

Delmar M Lewis and Buckybird like this.
  15. AZ Native

AZ Native Living is Easy with Eyes Closed

But his plays our of control and hits everyone.