THE Newcastle United FC thread

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Everton into the drop zone. Last game of their season, with relegation potentially on the line…. Newcastle.
Ouch. Last game of Newcastle's season: Burnley. Double ouch! Add in that the Mags' other games are Man City and Liverfool, and the Mags will probably be salty for those two games.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Ouch. Last game of Newcastle's season: Burnley. Double ouch! Add in that the Mags' other games are Man City and Liverfool, and the Mags will probably be salty for those two games.
Oops - I was wrong. Burnley/Newcastle is the last game. Newcastle have Arsenal.

Remaining fixtures for each:

Everton
v Chelsea
@ Leicester
@ Watford
v Brentford
v Palace
@ Arsenal

Burnley
@ Watford
v Aston Villa
@ Tottenham
v Aston Villa
v Newcastle

That's going to go down to the wire. Leeds aren't totally out of the woods yet, though a win today against Palace would probably seal the deal for them.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Oops - I was wrong. Burnley/Newcastle is the last game. Newcastle have Arsenal.

Remaining fixtures for each:

Everton
v Chelsea
@ Leicester
@ Watford
v Brentford
v Palace
@ Arsenal

Burnley
@ Watford
v Aston Villa
@ Tottenham
v Aston Villa
v Newcastle

That's going to go down to the wire. Leeds aren't totally out of the woods yet, though a win today against Palace would probably seal the deal for them.
Dang, Everton/Watford, Burnley/Watford are going to be huge. Watford are probably done, so that's where the other teams can get easy points...or help relegate themselves.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Burnley beats Watford. Everton is five points down with two games in hand. They have a very realistic shot at going down now.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Burnley beats Watford. Everton is five points down with two games in hand. They have a very realistic shot at going down now.
Yeah, it's not looking good for them. I don't know the history, but supposedly they're a bunch of snobs who Newcastle fans hate, so yay? lol

Newcastle scrapped their behinds off but lost to Liverfool 1-0. The ref was hideous in the 1st half-we should have had probably 5 more free kicks in their 3rd and all--but the goal was legit and he did well in the 2nd half.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Yeah, it's not looking good for them. I don't know the history, but supposedly they're a bunch of snobs who Newcastle fans hate, so yay? lol

Newcastle scrapped their behinds off but lost to Liverfool 1-0. The ref was hideous in the 1st half-we should have had probably 5 more free kicks in their 3rd and all--but the goal was legit and he did well in the 2nd half.

And right on cue, Everton gets a massive win over Chelsea. Brighton crushed Wolves at their place yesterday too.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He wasn't that bad. He let the game play out.

I'm glad that you believe that the goal was legit, it definitely was.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The goal was, for sure. The problem is he DIDN'T let the game play out. Liverfool were getting the free kicks; Newcastle were not.
I feel like most of the wants for free kicks were the crowd wanting free kicks for something that wasn't actually a foul, like the goal.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I feel like most of the wants for free kicks were the crowd wanting free kicks for something that wasn't actually a foul, like the goal.
No way. Absolutely no way. I was going bat-ish because St. Maximin was being mugged constantly for free while Liverfool (sorry, after seeing Formula 51, they can be called nothing else lol) kept getting free kicks. At one point the announcer even commented on the two arms Van Djik had wrapped around him, which was a "let them play" call. No guarantee anything comes from a free kick, but yeah, Newcastle should have gotten 3 or 4 of them. And, who knows what that does to early play? It puts Liverfool on the defensive and doesn't just allow them possession again.

The first half was clear big-6 bias. Not the goal, again, but the non-calls one way and the heap of calls the other. I get it--Liverfool is going to get the rub of the green over the minnows. Thankfully Newcastle won't be minnows much longer :)

I have no doubt the reason why the 2nd half was fair was because Eddie Howe had a word in the ref's ear. I would have had a freaking aneurism had the whole game been called like that lol

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way. Absolutely no way. I was going bat-ish because St. Maximin was being mugged constantly for free while Liverfool (sorry, after seeing Formula 51, they can be called nothing else lol) kept getting free kicks. At one point the announcer even commented on the two arms Van Djik had wrapped around him, which was a "let them play" call. No guarantee anything comes from a free kick, but yeah, Newcastle should have gotten 3 or 4 of them. And, who knows what that does to early play? It puts Liverfool on the defensive and doesn't just allow them possession again.

The first half was clear big-6 bias. Not the goal, again, but the non-calls one way and the heap of calls the other. I get it--Liverfool is going to get the rub of the green over the minnows. Thankfully Newcastle won't be minnows much longer :)

I have no doubt the reason why the 2nd half was fair was because Eddie Howe had a word in the ref's ear. I would have had a freaking aneurism had the whole game been called like that lol
I'll just disagree and leave it at that. lol

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha, fair! Also to be fair, were it reversed, you'd have been furious :)
Yeah. There wouldn't have been a clear and obvious error, that's for sure.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that. I'm talking if Newcastle got a bunch of foul calls go their way in the first half and were allowed to mug the Liverpool players consequence free. You wouldn't have taken that kindly at all.
I see. I didn't think it was as bad as you say though. It was a good game and I'm proud of what Newcastle have done. Amazing what a new coach and one or two new players can do for a team with injuries. (I consider Joelinton a new player, lol)

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Unrelated to prior conversation/thread, but there's a massive game in the Championship on right now on ESPN+.... 2nd place Bournemouth vs 3rd place Nottingham Forest. Go Forest!

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I see. I didn't think it was as bad as you say though. It was a good game and I'm proud of what Newcastle have done. Amazing what a new coach and one or two new players can do for a team with injuries. (I consider Joelinton a new player, lol)
Seriously! And so do I. Yeah, you get some soccer hypocrites like Dean Smith--"they're owned by a country" and then later "I had to spent 125 mill to keep Villa in the league!"--but that's okay. I totally agree with you about Joelinton, too. How's that chant go? "Joel-inton, he's Brazilian, he only cost 40 million, Joelllll-inton!" lol Who'd have thunk it?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously! And so do I. Yeah, you get some soccer hypocrites like Dean Smith--"they're owned by a country" and then later "I had to spent 125 mill to keep Villa in the league!"--but that's okay. I totally agree with you about Joelinton, too. How's that chant go? "Joel-inton, he's Brazilian, he only cost 40 million, Joelllll-inton!" lol Who'd have thunk it?
Right? I honestly don't know how they didn't run him out of town.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Right? I honestly don't know how they didn't run him out of town.
A stupid buy who was laughingly supposed to lead the line as a lone, hold-up striker. Any idiot can see that isn't at all his game. Now that he's been given a new role--and accepted it and worked his behind off--he is thriving.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Since there isn’t a better place to put it.. Mahrez scores in 73rd minute to put City up 5-3 aggregate.. Rodrygo scores in 90th and 91st minute to send to ET. THE CHAMPIONS!!!!

Lorenzo

Reaction score
City’s collapse is complete. 6-5 Real aggregate. Real v Liverpool for Europe.
they just can't get it done the UCL for whatever reason, and they have had quite the heartbreak along the way. There's a big match this weekend with Spurs and Liverpool with a lot on the line. Spurs need a result, really need the full three points to keep their top four hopes alive and Liverpool have the title on the line as well and cannot afford to drop any points. I think L'Pool either get a draw or the full 3 points, but definitely hoping spurs can pull it out. Although they've gotten victories against every other club in recent years, Spurs have not defeated Liverpool in a long time.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose