The New Mini Mac

BIGTONY

Registered
Reaction score
I WENT TO THE APPLE STORE..ITS SO COOL..FOR ONLY 499..BUT THEY HAVE A BACK STOCK UNTIL 4 WEEKS..ON EBAY THEY ARE GOING FOR AT LEAST 600 BUCKS..ITS THE COOLEST THING IF YOU WANT TO TEST OUT APPLES STUFF..THE PROBLEM I HAVE(WHY I WANT ONE)IS MY KID USES APPLES IN SCHOOL AND HE LOVES IT...
:cool:

Attachments

• MINI IMAC.JPG
    MINI IMAC.JPG
    6.1 KB · Views: 89

jerryp

Grey facemasks forever.
Reaction score
Maybe they'll give you a keyboard with a functioning caps lock key for your patience of waiting four weeks for backorders. ;)

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
Add not only a monitor to that price, but a keyboard and mouse. Have you ever heard of a major manufacturer computer before that didn't come with at least a keyboard and mouse? I know its a petty gripe but wtf?

Looks nice, sounds nice, but Apple just still doesn't get it.

jerryp

Grey facemasks forever.
Reaction score
bratwurst said:
Add not only a monitor to that price, but a keyboard and mouse. Have you ever heard of a major manufacturer computer before that didn't come with at least a keyboard and mouse? I know its a petty gripe but wtf?

Looks nice, sounds nice, but Apple just still doesn't get it.

No, it's clear you don't get it. The entire concept of the mini was to appeal to people who already have Windows machines, i.e. a monitor and keyboard already. It's real simple. You take the Mac mini, a whole what? 6x6x2? and set it on top of your existing PC. Plug existing monitor and keyboard/mouse into the mini. Proceed to use your new Mac free of spyware, malware, viruses, worms, etc. If you ever need to use your PC, do not be a fool and hook the monitor back up to it, download Microsoft's FREE remote desktop program and you can view your PC screen from the Mac OS. When you've weened yourself off the Windows, donate the PC to your local school. Or format it and put linux on it and run your own web server or whatever.

The Mac mini outsold every other Mac ever made, on it's first day of sales. It's outsold every other product Apple's ever made, except the iPod Shuffle which became available on the same day. I doubt obliterating your previous sales record for a single device (which had already been obliterated when the iMac G5 was introduced) TWICE in the same day is a sign of of not getting it.

And by the way, yes, I have heard of major manufactures that don't include mouse, keyboard, etc. They are called bare bones systems and they are quite popular. Check out Shuttle small form factor PC's. Also, any company that sells servers sells them minus monitor and keyboard, etc. Hell, even if you're using Windows to service your network, there's no need to have a monitor on the server now because you have the above mentioned Microsoft remote desktop tool.

This isn't Apple computer of the 90's, they are mostly competent now.

OP
OP
BIGTONY

BIGTONY

Registered
Reaction score
THANKS JERRYP.COUDNT SAY IT BETTER....I WENT TO THE APPLE STORE ON MONDAY..SOLD OUT IN TWO HOURS....APPLE HAS 1 MONTH OF BACK ORDERS..AWESOME IDEA I THINK..BUT THATS WHATS IM GOING TO DO..PUT IT ON TOP OF MY PC..AND SEE HOW IT WORKS..PLUS MY KID THATS ALL THEY USE IN SCHOOL...APPLES GALLORE.... :stupid:

bratwurst

Reaction score
Looks like I made the mistake of saying something bad about the all knowing apple. I've been through this argument on this board before. I don't hate apple entirely, in fact my first computer job ever was in high school working in a mac lab. I used one almost 3/4 of college and used to defend them against all the mac haters too. I support several very powerful executives that won't use anything but macs. So please spare me the "I don't get it." I just am not a huge fan.

oh and btw Tony, please see attached picture...

Attachments

• capslock.gif
    capslock.gif
    15.3 KB · Views: 49

jerryp

Grey facemasks forever.
Reaction score
bratwurst said:
So please spare me the "I don't get it." I just am not a huge fan.

If your argument was it's underpowered, or that the upgrades are priced way too high, or that it will still lack a wide selection of video games I would have had no problem. I mean damn, if you had just said "I'm not a big fan" I'd have had no problem. I'm a Mac user, and it's cool and all, but it doesn't fit my needs so I am not a "fan" of it either. But you were saying it was "bad" because it lacks a monitor and keyboard. That's like Ford saying "Here's our new Mustang." and you going "But you'll have to buy an F-150 too if you want to haul things around."

The mini is announced as a way to make inroads into the IT sector and existing Windows users that have an iPod and are willing to give a Mac a shot. Both the groups already have monitors and keyboards. Then you go "Apple doesn't get it". What is it they don't get? People want all the stuff out of the box? It's called an iMac. They want more power? It's called a PowerMac. Quite ironic that you wish to be spared that line but have no problem dropping it when you clearly missed the whole point of it.

I'm no Mac apologist. I, unlike many of the Mac zealots, can admit Apple's shortcomings. I abandoned them myself years ago because of the direction they were moving and only recently bought a PowerBook. I'm not trying to defend Apple's every move here but your specific gripe had me scratching my head. Funny how you immediately went into "Oh how dare I question Apple" instead of just admitting you were misinformed. :shrug:

Sorry if my post pissed you off.

bratwurst

Reaction score
Your post didn't piss me off. I just can't stand how some people think mac is the most perfect thing ever and can't do any wrong.

I never posted that the mac mini was "bad". Thats you putting words in my mouth. All I said was that he was going to have to add the price of a monitor and keyboard to that. I'll admit that the first time I saw the Mac Mini I was tempted to pull out a credit card. But I have thought twice about it.

Macs are way more expensive than they need to be. They have been that way for as long as they have been around. They're a boutique computer manufacturer. Thats reality. They finally decided to try the low end market, but they do a half ass job by adding hidden costs. This is what I mean by apple not getting it. I moved to PC when I realized that there were so many more options for software and hardware for PC than mac, and it was always ridiculously cheaper. Its funny that Mac is seen as being so counter culture in a way when they are the more closed, proprietary system.

Who is the real target here? I would say kids that use macs at school so the parents go buy them a mac, and they can get one cheap now. Its a smart move by apple. They have always made a huge push to be in schools to try and target that segment of population. I really doubt they are trying to get PC users to buy a cheap mac as much as they are trying to get to the young teen and family market.

I think Apple is absolutely wonderful at advertising. Apple products are "easier to use". They know this because Apple has done a great job selling that idea.

I don't mind apple succeeding in their market. Its a good thing to push the PC market further.

jerryp

Grey facemasks forever.
Reaction score
bratwurst said:
Your post didn't piss me off. I just can't stand how some people think mac is the most perfect thing ever and can't do any wrong.

I never posted that the mac mini was "bad". Thats you putting words in my mouth. All I said was that he was going to have to add the price of a monitor and keyboard to that.

Ok last post on the subject because I am sure we both don't want a PC/Mac flamewar.

Your second sentence. Re-read it. Now look at the second sentence in the second paragraph. See the problem? Show me where anyone in this thread said the Mac is the most perfect thing ever? You're reacting to something no one said. That's why I pointed out it's funny you went into "How dare I question Apple mode." Because that's like so the typical response. Don't debate the merits, paint be as a fanboy to discredit me.

I put "bad" in quotes on purpose. To explicitly state that those weren't your words. It's paraphasing. You were making the point that it's a negative that you have to buy the monitor. I'm sure we can agree additional hidden costs are negative and "bad". I was simply pointing out that he doesn't have to do anything of the sort. What you said is simply not correct unless you own no computer at all. In which case, Apple is not interested in selling you a mini, they want you to get an iMac. More cash for 'em that way.

Again, it's really ironic that your first response to me, and this latest one is taking the "I hate Mac zealots who blindly defend Apple" angle. when I never said anything even close to that. And then you complain because I'm putting words in your mouth? You do see the irony there, right? You're putting words into my mouth or you're arguing with a phantom zealot.

Trust me dude, I hate the zealots too. I go out of my way not to rip on Windows because if I were still a PC user and someone was using that tactic to get me to switch I wouldn't like it either.

I disagree with your statement that they are a "boutique" computer. Yes, it's a nice little white box for mom to check email. But the Unix under the hood has greatly increased it's power. I like being able to demo a website connecting to a MySQL database using PHP without having Internet access. I also like having uptime of months without my OS whigging out. I think I've debunked the monitor as a hidden cost statement because it truly is meant for people who already own one. I totally agree that the hardware is overpriced but the real crime is the upgrade costs. Nasty little tricks like using RAM with weird timing to make it difficult to buy third party RAM, forcing you to pay exorbitant prices to have an "expert" install it. Or getting ATi and Nvidia to only offer "All in Wonder" or "Pro" versions of video cards so you have to get one with all the features or stay stock. See, not a zealot.

So sorry if you felt I was putting words in your mouth, honestly not my intention. So you're not a clown trying to discredit Apple at every turn if I'm not zealot with my head up my butt.

Fair enough?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave