The most impressive was....

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Playing a run oriented offense probably makes our DBs look better than they are. A better test will be coming in the near future.

Speaking of run offense, I thought Conner looked much more like a starting RB and Edmonds like a 3rd down back. Both played okay, but I was more impressed with Conner. He isn't fast but looks more like a RB who can grind out 4 or 5 yards on first down and put you in a short 2nd down situation, or push in for a TD from the 2 or 3 yard line. They did appear to be a more descent combo than I imagined them being.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I will also add that the Offensive Line was amazing!!! Rodney Hudson brings a stability to the overall line that is extremely comforting. Kyler was largely clean yesterday.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Super impressed by the game overall, but what I really liked.

Rookie 4th rounder Marco Wilson playing 95% of all defensive snaps without anyone noticing that a rookie was playing.
Good post. I didnt notice him at all and thats a good thing. I noticed murphy but it was because of making plays. The front 7 did their job and made all the DBs look good and thats exactly what I was hoping would happen.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I will also add that the Offensive Line was amazing!!! Rodney Hudson brings a stability to the overall line that is extremely comforting. Kyler was largely clean yesterday.
Wow. Totally forgot about Hudson! That center is literally that strength to the line imo... If it's weak, it doesn't matter what the rest of the line looks like... That pocket stayed a pocket longer than anything I can recall from last year... Awesome!

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I've had 1 nagging feeling since the game. I shared a quote a few days ago where Keim said one of the areas we needed to improve last year (and failed) was being a physical team. I thought about James Conner delivering two stiff arms on a run that gained 0 yards, about how he was used on that drive. He was established in the defense' mind on that drive, especially after the disrespectful stiffarms. That drive ended with Conner and JJ Watt lined up for a run, as decoys, while Kyler easily ran it in for the TD.

That takes forethought and planning, you have to imagine you're inside the 10 and what is the absolute best way to make the defense bite on a fake to Conner, and you have to imagine that when you're nowhere near the 10. I'm sure KK had the Watt and Conner formation in practice, but I'm convinced the way to get them to bite on Conner was him coaching during the game. Conner having several successful runs on that drive and then stiff arming dudes established him in their minds. The physicality, even though it gained nothing, was crucial because it was disrespectful and by the time we got inside the 10 they wanted to destroy Conner.

To me, that is next level, it's not an accident.

Random thoughts: I love Kyler highlights as much as the next dude, but I would prefer if it wasn't our QB running around like that to complete a pass. I'd rather watch Lamar do that while Kyler wins titles. Kyler is special. That pass to Dhop on the run, across his body, while on the sidelines, into the middle of the field...there's only a few dudes in the world who can make that pass. His back shoulder pass to Kirk was elite, and his pass to Dhop on the run for the TD was exceptional because he put the ball on Hops right shoulder so Hop could pivot and run it in for the score. Murray's arm and ball placement are exceptional. There's no reason to risk him with running around and being stupid.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave