The Mighty Edge

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Scouting report​

"Anderson has little weakness. He has a strong lower body to hold his ground in the run game and great speed around the edge to apply pressure on the quarterback. When his rush does not get home, he shows the awareness to peel off and get his hands in passing lanes. There is room for him to expand his pass rush arsenal, but all of the traits are there." -- CBS Sports NFL Draft analyst Josh Edwards
YEARGAMESTACKLESTFLSSACKSPDFFINTTD

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Holds second place in the Bama record books for sacks and TFL...right behind NFL Hall of Famer Derrick Thomas...
Looks like not just a great pass rusher but an all around edge guy that can set and contain as well as rush.

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Scouting report​

"Wilson is an insanely long athlete who showcases displacement power with the long arm as well as maintaining speed at the high side of his rush. He slides inside in sub situations. The Texas native does a good job of containing the edge and holding his ground in the run game. One of Wilson's flaws coming into the season was a lack of a pass rush plan and, while still a work in progress, he has shown improvement in that area. He can do a better job of coming to balance in space and changing directions. The Texas A&M transfer has as much potential as anyone in the class." -- CBS Sports NFL Draft analyst Josh Edwards (Nov. 10)
YEARGAMESTACKLESTFLSSACKSPDFF
2022 (Texas Tech)106114.07.000
2021 (Texas Tech)133813.57.010
2020 (Texas Tech)7101.51.500
2019 (Texas A&M)5123.01.500

what I notice the most is that Tyree is not an OLB, he is a DE...and while being a year older than Anderson he is nowhere near as polished. Could be work ethic, or it could be the coaching disparity between Bama and Tech. I do think Tyree will be very effective in the league so long as he is motivated to address his shortcomings. the dude is a beast. His closing speed up the middle is insanely impressive. But he aint a 3rd overall pick beast. 12?? absolutely but not at 3

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Scouting report​

"Anderson has little weakness. He has a strong lower body to hold his ground in the run game and great speed around the edge to apply pressure on the quarterback. When his rush does not get home, he shows the awareness to peel off and get his hands in passing lanes. There is room for him to expand his pass rush arsenal, but all of the traits are there." -- CBS Sports NFL Draft analyst Josh Edwards
YEARGAMESTACKLESTFLSSACKSPDFFINTTD

Holds second place in the Bama record books for sacks and TFL...right behind NFL Hall of Famer Derrick Thomas...
Looks like not just a great pass rusher but an all around edge guy that can set and contain as well as rush.
Why was his production in 2022 so far below 2021?

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Lukas Van Ness
Van Ness earned first-team all-state notice his senior year at Barrington High School in Illinois before signing with the Hawkeyes for the 2020 season. He redshirted as a true freshman but made an impression the following fall, recording 33 tackles, 8.5 for loss, with a team-high seven sacks in 14 appearances to earn Freshman All-American notice. Van Ness did not start any contests in 2022, either, but still garnered second-team All-Big Ten accolades after leading the Hawkeyes with 11 tackles for loss and 6.5 sacks among his 38 tackles in 13 games played. He also tied for sixth nationally with two blocked kicks. -- by Chad Reuter
– No major injuries

– 0 career starts

– Career stats (two seasons): 70 total tackles (34 solo), 19 TFL, 13 sacks, 1 PD

– 2022 Honors: Academic All-Big 10, second-team All-Big Ten

– 2021 Honors: Academic All-Big 10, Freshman All-American (FWAA, Maxwell Football)

This kid is basically just a big bully. isnt very agile, has limited experience but he just bullies his way into the backfield and makes plays.
only 21 and never started a game in college.
IMO, play this guy at DE, bulk him up, and move him inside to DT. Iowa bounced him around so he does have some snaps inside. he is 6'5" 275lbs... I think he could easily jump to around 295 and play DT

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
When comparing size, Murphy stacks up to last year's No. 1 overall selection -- Travon Walker. Murphy is a good athlete but is realistically not going to match Walker's historic NFL Combine performance. Murphy does have more exposure to what would be considered a traditional edge rusher role than Walker at the same point in his career. The former shows active hands and an ability to turn speed to power." -- CBS Sports NFL Draft analyst Josh Edwards

6'5" 275...22 years old.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
When comparing size, Murphy stacks up to last year's No. 1 overall selection -- Travon Walker. Murphy is a good athlete but is realistically not going to match Walker's historic NFL Combine performance. Murphy does have more exposure to what would be considered a traditional edge rusher role than Walker at the same point in his career. The former shows active hands and an ability to turn speed to power." -- CBS Sports NFL Draft analyst Josh Edwards

6'5" 275...22 years old.
I’ve always thought Murphy was a better player than Wilson. Having Tech fans in the house & watching most of their games for years now I see the abilities but some games he hasn’t impressed me. Hell I might be tempted to draft Myles over Carter because of his upside & potential for a bigger game by game impact. I’m really concerned that Carter gets too big & lazy and thus doesn’t have the huge impact. Pick #3 for me is too rich to take a NT/DT. Is he Dan Wilkinson or Eric Swann? I think Murphy flourishes in the NFL.

Just my opinion

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why was his production in 2022 so far below 2021?

One factor is he played 873 snaps in 2021 and only 673 in 2022 as he carried an injury. His pass rush win rate actually increased this year, from 24% to 32% although his run stop rate did drop from 10% to 7%.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
One factor is he played 873 snaps in 2021 and only 673 in 2022 as he carried an injury. His pass rush win rate actually increased this year, from 24% to 32% although his run stop rate did drop from 10% to 7%.
One worry about Anderson is that he misses a ton of tackles. Imagine if he cut those in half? He likely gets over 30 TFLs.

I watched a ton of Von Miller the year he came out and I'm more impressed by Anderson. Watching him play 5 tech and dominating at his size is impressive.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I’ve always thought Murphy was a better player than Wilson. Having Tech fans in the house & watching most of their games for years now I see the abilities but some games he hasn’t impressed me. Hell I might be tempted to draft Myles over Carter because of his upside & potential for a bigger game by game impact. I’m really concerned that Carter gets too big & lazy and thus doesn’t have the huge impact. Pick #3 for me is too rich to take a NT/DT. Is he Dan Wilkinson or Eric Swann? I think Murphy flourishes in the NFL.

Just my opinion
I agree with this statement. From watching the highlights for each of these guys, Murphy seems to be ahead of the other two in being able to read the offense and react to what the offense is trying to do.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Just my opinion

Same. And the draft community agrees. Most have Murphy over Wilson.

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
One worry about Anderson is that he misses a ton of tackles. Imagine if he cut those in half? He likely gets over 30 TFLs.

I watched a ton of Von Miller the year he came out and I'm more impressed by Anderson. Watching him play 5 tech and dominating at his size is impressive.
It is impressive.
There can be multiple reasons for missed tackles... coaching and increased upper body strength can eliminate several of them

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Feel free to add guys.
Quick scout report
College stats and honors
Highlight video
Add in some personal comments if you like.
Just keep it to Edge guys in this thread.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Just my opinion
And yet Wilson annihilates Murphy on pressure rates AND pass rush win rate. Murphy is the guy I think has a high floor but not that high a ceiling. He was a five star recruit and never quite dominated. Wilson got better every season and according to Daniel Jeremiah's stats, was the leader in pressure rates.

I want it to be clear, I want Anderson first and foremost. He's super productive, has tremendous tape, and looks like an elite athlete. I'm more iffy on Jalen Carter, but I can see how he could become an elite DT. After that, I'm definitely putting Tyree Wilson next.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And yet Wilson annihilates Murphy on pressure rates AND pass rush win rate. Murphy is the guy I think has a high floor but not that high a ceiling. He was a five star recruit and never quite dominated. Wilson got better every season and according to Daniel Jeremiah's stats, was the leader in pressure rates.

I want it to be clear, I want Anderson first and foremost. He's super productive, has tremendous tape, and looks like an elite athlete. I'm more iffy on Jalen Carter, but I can see how he could become an elite DT. After that, I'm definitely putting Tyree Wilson next.

Myles Murphy is 20 months younger than Tyree Wilson. He's a Junior, Wilson is a Senior.

Murphy is the better player. He uses his hands far better. He can win round the edge and turn the corner. He's more explosive off the line.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Myles Murphy is 20 months younger than Tyree Wilson. He's a Junior, Wilson is a Senior.

Murphy is the better player. He uses his hands far better. He can win round the edge and turn the corner. He's more explosive off the line.
I see a chubby looking guy (Murphy) who weighs the same as Wilson. I also see a more productive player too (Wilson).

Wilson looks extremely explosive.

Better player? Stats don't tell you that. Stats tell you that Wilson wins more and gets more pressure. Wilson is also doing this without guys like Bryan Bresee next to him.

There is a reason that most mocks are now showing Wilson above Murphy. Granted, things can change on draft day, but Murphy was never as productive as he should be based on all of the hype.

All I'm saying is one guy produced 50 total pressures (Wilson) vs the other guy who produced 34 (Murphy).

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just looked at 5 different mocks and NONE have Murphy over Wilson now.

Mock drafts are scheme and fit dependent. NFL Mock draft database consensus big board (an amalgamation of big boards) has Murphy at 5 and Wilson at 8. That's a pure rank of talent.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Mock drafts are scheme and fit dependent. NFL Mock draft database consensus big board (an amalgamation of big boards) has Murphy at 5 and Wilson at 8. That's a pure rank of talent.
Where do they get their info from? Every mock I'm looking at has Wilson over Murphy.

I think NFL Mock Draft database has old information. Wilson is the rising talent. Once people have had time to evaluate all of the prospects, Wilson is better.

We're not comparing Anderson to Carter here, two players at different positions. Wilson and Murphy play similar positions.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
He was most likely doubled team by a lot of teams.
No he misses in the backfield a lot. Clear shots at the QB/back and he misses.

I don't care much because he gets in the backfield so often that it's only a minor problem.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I see a chubby looking guy (Murphy) who weighs the same as Wilson. I also see a more productive player too (Wilson).

Wilson looks extremely explosive.

Better player? Stats don't tell you that. Stats tell you that Wilson wins more and gets more pressure. Wilson is also doing this without guys like Bryan Bresee next to him.

There is a reason that most mocks are now showing Wilson above Murphy. Granted, things can change on draft day, but Murphy was never as productive as he should be based on all of the hype.

All I'm saying is one guy produced 50 total pressures (Wilson) vs the other guy who produced 34 (Murphy).

When I say explosive I mean speed off the line. He's so slow to get off. Several clips below where he still has his hand in the dirt while his teammates are engaging.

You see this with him all the time on his film.

You must be registered for see images attach

Below is Wilson's 2022 highlights. So these are his best bits.

1 - QB runs into him
2 - He flicks the ball with his finger for a fumble (I assume recorded as a sack)
3 - Left uncovered for TFL
4 - Lined up too deep AND slow to get off the LOS. Bullrush for a sack because the other Edge pushed him up into it.
5 - Inside move for a sack
6 - Just bad tackle play. Pushes the tackle back to get the sack.
7 - Left uncovered for tackle
8 - Left uncovered again for pressure
9 - Again super slow to get off. Bad tackle play and QB steps up into a sack.
10 - RB runs into the TFL
11 - I don't even know what this is. Starts as a DT. LT thinks he has helf inside then the Guard goes for a walk and allows a free run.
12 - Running back runs into his own tackle and falls over before Wilson dives on him
13 - He catches a fumble someone else forced
14 - Tackle just falls over
15 - Basic tackle
16 - Basic tackle
17 - I've lost the will to live

I realise this is one of many highlight reels from last year but they are all pretty much the same. There is no high quality stuff there. Every sack is a sack he doesn't get in the NFL. It's a mistake or it's pure power based. Not once does he win round the edge, which is a bit crucial for an edge. His get off is really bad. His hand use is non existent and he has no moves. Not a single play here shows him use his hands to get a tackle off him or use a move to beat a tackle.

Look, this is just my opinion and I realise me not liking him greatly increases our chances of drafting him but I just don't see it. You may be right, this is just how I see it.

He is very large, very powerful and after he eventually gets off he's quick for his size but he's lacking in so many areas. It concerns me that a Senior has none of the basic skills required of an NFL edge and I think he wins just on raw power and athleticism against weak opponents.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Where do they get their info from? Every mock I'm looking at has Wilson over Murphy.

I think NFL Mock Draft database has old information. Wilson is the rising talent. Once people have had time to evaluate all of the prospects, Wilson is better.

We're not comparing Anderson to Carter here, two players at different positions. Wilson and Murphy play similar positions.

You can see here if you click on the players the boards are updated and tracked frequently. Each player has a graph of where they stood by date.

And you can see here where they are taken from

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave