THE METAL MASTERS TOUR - \m/

OP
OP
ajcardfan

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Metal has evolved since the 70's folks. Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, and others are the fathers of metal but metal is nothing like it use to be.

Oh, I don't think anyone would argue that. I think what BRR is doing would be like an AC/DC or Rush fan, in the mid-80's looking at the Rolling Stones and Beatles and saying "That's NOT rock-and-roll!" It would definitely be a minority opinion.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Oh, I don't think anyone would argue that. I think what BRR is doing would be like an AC/DC or Rush fan, in the mid-80's looking at the Rolling Stones and Beatles and saying "That's NOT rock-and-roll!" It would definitely be a minority opinion.

I missed post #21...

Stating the obvious is bad mojo. I'll go sit in the corner....

:bang:

OP
OP
ajcardfan

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a little late in coming...But what an amazing show: packed full of mayhem, drama, lasers, smoke, screams, guitars, and....acts of GOD!

I haven't seen Testament since the early 90's and was really struck by how little they appear to have aged. They are still agressive, angry, and tight, and I was impressed with their set given the unenviable [or enviable, depending on your point of view] position they were in: opening for the two greatest metal acts of all time! Given the 17:30 start time, Testament started their set before much of the crowd had gotten into the venue, but as it would turn out, the end of the set would not be the last appearance by Chuck Billy!

Motorhead are another one of those iconic bands that really need to be seen to be understood. There's no fan fare, no explosions, no B.S. Lemmy and Co, simply show up, play a tight [and LOUD] set, then move on to the next town...just as giggers back in the day used to. This is a pure rock experience--and really cool. There are no distractions...except Chuck Billy rooting around back stage with a beer in hand. As it happened, Chuck would appear during the obligatory "Ace of Spades" number to assist with the chorus--marching on stage too early at one point! A great set, and cool to see, being as it has been 15 years since I'd seen Motorhead perform.

Honestly, even though Priest are the greatest band of all time to me, it was Heaven and Hell that was the draw for me this night. The set was easily the coolest I have ever seen at any show, and set the tone impeccably. It was everything that metal should be with cemetary gates, crosses, and killer gargoyles set to strike.... Dio was in amazing form, and I could not believe how well his voice has held up over the years! His showmanship and banter were amazing, complementing each song nicely.

Then there is Iommi. Amazing. When they say he created the genre, or that he has come up with every cool riff ever invented, they're right. It was such an earthy, bluesy performance. I've never just stared open mouthed watching a guitar player before, but he was amazing, iconic, all those superlatives that go with a legend... I started taking a whole bunch of pictures, but the moody lights conspired to muddy my shots with my puny 6mp camera [even though i manged to capture Chuck rooting around backstage again!]....Still, the show was amazing, and Priest were no way, ever going to be able to follow....

21:30 on the dot. Priest hits the stage....smoke, lights, intro tape....and all hell breaks loose. The storm that has been brewing around the Valley hits full force. 80 foot tall palm trees bend to impossible angles. Equipment shielded by plastic is pelted by the sideways flying rain. I think briefly about the people in general admission not under cover on the lawn being drenched by the downpour. Roadies frantically try to cover up equipment on either side of the stage and my earlier curses in the name of Ticketmaster are silenced by the fact that I am at least under an awning. Tipton plays, a smile across his face as he no doubt sees the powerful storm behind the crowd. THIS is a Priest--nay, a Nostradamus moment!

Rob is animated. He's moving around the stage as much as I've ever seen him with Priest. He's dressed for the heat, with the frequent costume changes including the new Darth Vader coat.... He hits the teleprompter only on the old stuff, and I'm happy to hear songs like "Dissident Aggressor" which I never thought I would hear... The screams are still blood-curdling, and the storm seems to have energized the band! At one point, as the rain is crashing sideways into the stage from the East, Rob runs over to the right side of the stage to meet the wind and rain head on. Metal God challenges the wind screaming, "C'mon, Mother****er!!!!!!!!!!" The wind eventually yields, but the Priest keep thundering.

Glenn and KK, true to the 'Panzer Attack' moniker, stay on their respective sides of the stage, and Ian stands to Travis' left anchoring the whole thing in. The set is a good one with a few surprises in there....And in the end, it is Priest who win the day, pounding the audience, and the elements into submission...

Just an amazing, amazing HEAVY METAL show!

OP
OP
ajcardfan

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

You must be registered for see images attach