The Market 2022-2023-2024

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

No Bueno.

Same tag off the 200 MA seen in 2000 and 2008 with almost identical pattern formations to now..

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We get another big crash I'll be liquidating everything possible and pumping it into the market

Just let us know in advance of the crash so I can short it with an ETF.

I guess it wouldn't surprise me this is such a weird environment right now.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Buffett's Berkshire filed it's 13F.

They added to a bunch of their current positions like AAPL, CVX, and PARA which might be of interest to you @elindholm. Looks like they dumped VZ though. I see they added to their ATVI position as well so it seems they still expect the MSFT acquisition to close.

Pretty standard stuff from Buffett, it seems.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
They added to a bunch of their current positions like AAPL, CVX, and PARA which might be of interest to you @elindholm. Looks like they dumped VZ though. I see they added to their ATVI position as well so it seems they still expect the MSFT acquisition to close.

Far be it from me to second-guess Buffett. But, since I sold PARA, it's up 11.4%, whereas DIS, which I decided to move into instead, is up 32.5%. So, so far, I made the right call for my own circumstances.

Do you know how to get the answer to this question? How much of BRK's value is in the businesses that it owns outright, like Geico, rather than the ones it owns portions of but which are traded independently, like Apple? In other words, what percentage of BRK is basically a Buffett-managed ETF, compared to the core businesses?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never played the BBBY game but apparently it is up 63% today and 400% in the last 30 days.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I never played the BBBY game but apparently it is up 63% today and 400% in the last 30 days.

Just further confirmation for me that more pain is coming. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think this meme stock and similar speculation will eventually be squashed. There will have to be additional economic pain that will prevent the apes from reloading. That likely means high unemployment.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Just further confirmation for me that more pain is coming. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think this meme stock and similar speculation will eventually be squashed. There will have to be additional economic pain that will prevent the apes from reloading. That likely means high unemployment.

BBBY is definitely a meme circus. I've learned my lesson with OPEN.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, bbby has been a hyped squeeze target since the gme days. When I zoomed out, 1 yr ago was similar to today's value. So, it did short down a ton as was expected in that arena however this massive spike, so far, is no help to the OG hodlers of the "movement".

I believe moreso that a meme stock, this one was just out of control shorted and spiraling that way like GME was and because of the heavy short interest, it has become a game to play

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Buffett's Berkshire filed it's 13F.

Pretty standard stuff from Buffett, it seems.

Interesting that he added AAPL. I've been thinking of maybe dumping mine since they're almost back to the 52 week high. That combined with VIX being (barely) under 20 had me thinking of selling.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Interestingly, bbby has been a hyped squeeze target since the gme days. When I zoomed out, 1 yr ago was similar to today's value. So, it did short down a ton as was expected in that arena however this massive spike, so far, is no help to the OG hodlers of the "movement".

I believe moreso that a meme stock, this one was just out of control shorted and spiraling that way like GME was and because of the heavy short interest, it has become a game to play

Now we just need the other meme stocks from early 2021 to get squeezed. I still have a little bit of AMC, BB, and EXPR from then. I've kept AMC since all the shares are bought with house money. The other two currently only have a value couple hundred each. So they're purely a small gamble.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Interesting that he added AAPL. I've been thinking of maybe dumping mine since they're almost back to the 52 week high. That combined with VIX being (barely) under 20 had me thinking of selling.

Reminds me of Peter Lynch's quote.

“Selling your winners and holding your losers is like cutting the flowers and watering the weeds.”

Obviously it's good to take gains at times. I trimmed from AAPL and AMZN last year. I regret the former, but am pleased with the latter. I also watered many weeds during that time. There's no right answer, but probably better to have a predetermined system like valuation or percentage of your portfolio to avoid getting caugh up in the moment.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Reminds me of Peter Lynch's quote.

“Selling your winners and holding your losers is like cutting the flowers and watering the weeds.”

Obviously it's good to take gains at times. I trimmed from AAPL and AMZN last year. I regret the former, but am pleased with the latter. I also watered many weeds during that time. There's no right answer, but probably better to have a predetermined system like valuation or percentage of your portfolio to avoid getting caugh up in the moment.

With AAPL its a bit of me thinking this is a dead cat bounce. Sell now since I have a very nice profit in it and then buy back in during the coming correction. The main thing for me is deciding if this is a dead cat or not.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Crude quietly melting down a bit... 86 bucks from it's 130 high. We have volatility within the oil VIX looking a little wonky at the moment, with a big move up today as well. We'll see where this one goes. I believe the next big move within oil could correlate with rates.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With AAPL its a bit of me thinking this is a dead cat bounce. Sell now since I have a very nice profit in it and then buy back in during the coming correction. The main thing for me is deciding if this is a dead cat or not.

A just in caser for ya if you wanted to see some technical levels..

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
RC ventures just filed to sell their 10% share of bbby

These retail short squeezes are silly. I'm sure they got a few hedge funds with the GME craziness. But it's really naive to think hedge fund managers didn't learn from it and aren't playing both sides at this point. It's doubtful any managers are naked shorting meme stocks. They're likely buying puts to cap their downside or captilizing on movement to the upside or downside with a straddle.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
RC ventures just filed to sell their 10% share of bbby
Crazy time in the market environment to go nuts on the me me stonks.. lots of burnage coming for the fomo kids out there investing right now. That's how they'll learn though. Double edged sword.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These retail short squeezes are silly. I'm sure they got a few hedge funds with the GME craziness. But it's really naive to think hedge fund managers didn't learn from it and aren't playing both sides at this point. It's doubtful any managers are naked shorting meme stocks. They're likely buying puts to cap their downside or captilizing on movement to the upside or downside with a straddle.
I mean, those playing saw 400% gains if they bought early and sold yesterday :shrug:

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mean, those playing saw 400% gains if they bought early and sold yesterday :shrug:
Pump and dump. Pyramid scheme. Etc. Etc. The thing is...just like any scheme, the big boys control both sides of the trade. They do all the pumping and dumping and retail is stuck in the middle. The overwhelming majority of retail traders never realize gains from these things. Much like the lottery. It can be a fun ride though as long as it's throwaway cash. JMO

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

This panel supports your sentiment.

Last edited:

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This panel supports your sentiment.
AAPL definitely has these parabolic style jumps before some of their previous larger crashes throughout their history. So, it's definitely some levels for profit takers to keep an eye on. IMO.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Golfermcr