The Market 2022-2023-2024

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does Citi have brick-and-mortar branches? I think of them as existing in the virtual space, doing credit cards and other lending.

That is good news re PARA, but even so, I don't see them getting back to 100 anytime soon. That was a lost selling opportunity for sure.

Looks like they are big in CA and other select metro areas that are more traditional financial centers. I don't think they have a presence in AZ aside from ATMs which explains my lack of familiarity.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Looks like they are big in CA and other select metro areas that are more traditional financial centers. I don't think they have a presence in AZ aside from ATMs which explains my lack of familiarity.
They used to have a presence here. I worked as a runner for a lawyer when I was in school in the '90s and I remember going to a branch all of the time. It was right at Camelback and the 51. I think there's a BVA or some bank in the same location now. It used to be nice because I could drop off my credit card payment over mailing it. It's almost weird to think now that we used to have to mail in checks over doing a payment in the bank's app or website.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe a bit of a canary in the coal mine with Walmart missing pretty bad on earnings despite beating on revenue. More people are shopping at Walmart but margins are shrinking as costs go up. People are also buying more store branded products with lower margins.

Yeah apparently much of todays sell off is tied to bad retail earnings reports. That couldn't have been a surprise higher prices, no stimulus money seemed pretty likely people would do less discretionary spending but I guess they are bad numbers so far.

People like this drive me nuts sounds great but so far you're always wrong. This is about the Fed speech yesterday.

"I don't think he said anything that caught us off guard ... but let's not forget where we are," Ryan Detrick, LPL Financial Chief Market Strategist, told Yahoo Finance Live on Tuesday, noting that the S&P 500 has fallen for six consecutive weeks heading into this week. "It hasn't been down seven weeks in a row for 20 years, so we're awfully oversold here. Then you come in today and you've got industrial production pretty solid, you've got retail sales pretty solid. Things aren't perfect, but we just think so much of the negativity that is priced in ... it's just a little overboard for us, and we think this could very well be an opportunity for some of the longer-term investors here."

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Welp, still no bottom. I read that the S&P hasn't had seven consecutive losing weeks for 20 years, but we're 14.5 trading hours away from matching that streak. What comes next?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welp, still no bottom. I read that the S&P hasn't had seven consecutive losing weeks for 20 years, but we're 14.5 trading hours away from matching that streak. What comes next?

Yeah that's in the bit I quoted above. I wish these experts would stop saying we've hit bottom this is a buying opportunity because everytime they do it goes lower.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's in the bit I quoted above. I wish these experts would stop saying we've hit bottom this is a buying opportunity because everytime they do it goes lower.
believe nothing but your own eyes. I will not be buying until I see well over a week of stabilization.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
believe nothing but your own eyes. I will not be buying until I see well over a week of stabilization.

yeah I'm not buying I think it's more for people who don't actively follow the markets and see advice like that. But I guess it's unlikely people who don't follow it would see something like that and go out and act on it.

I can tell the people who manage my IRA's for Fidelity have bought off and on because I get emails confirming transactions but I don't even look because I know it's bad. Once a month I do my spreadsheet, say a few expletives and move forward.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't get too bearish guys. Make sure you are still DCA'ing in your employer plans and retirement accounts. This is a great opportunity for people who aren't retiring in the next 5 years to invest when the market isn't at all times highs for once. Don't be afraid to drop long term funds into a broad index with the S&P down over 20% and Nasdaq down more than 30%.

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't get too bearish guys. Make sure you are still DCA'ing in your employer plans and retirement accounts. This is a great opportunity for people who aren't retiring in the next 5 years to invest when the market isn't at all times highs for once. Don't be afraid to drop long term funds into a broad index with the S&P down over 20% and Nasdaq down more than 30%.
I definitely have not changed anything about my regular roth retirement account

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What was your S&P 500 number again? 2100?
If you're lucky.

3200 is a nice starting point. If that doesn't hold.... 2100 looks pretty decent.

We have MASSIVE air pockets in this market. I'd advise anyone who thinks differently to do their research.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In case we needed more evidence that ESG was a joke and a marketing gimmick, TSLA was removed from the S&P 500 ESG index.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oh yeah both myself and my GF increased our % held from our checks because we got raises and that's been my standard for 15 years now if I get a raise I raise my contribution to the 401K

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Short end yield curve inching back to inversion once again..

I'm keeping my eye on the 3mo/10yr. That one did not invert on the last 2yr/10yr inversion a few weeks ago, which is an oddity because they usually don't diverge too far from each other over time.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I did a little nibbling today. I bought 25 shares of SPTM about $1100. S&P 500 is officially down 20% so I have to take a small bite.

GOOG and DIS are both right at my targets too.

Last edited:

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hedging inside the VIX product is quickly vanishing. Put buyers aren't buying puts. That usually leads to correlation and strong, capitulatory panic moves to the upside. Just to be aware we might not be into falling knife territory just yet on the broad indexes....

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With my Tesla at 900 i need to find a rope
hahaha....its a waiting game now. sometimes those waiting games work out great. sometimes they dont.

At least this is a growing company. My waiting game on my second doge investment is likely a total lost cause.

I still think 2023 will be a boon with all 4 factories humming and cybertrucks starting to hit the roads.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With my Tesla at 900 i need to find a rope
700 had to hold IMO. We could see some more weakness to 400 or so... On the flip side, if you believe in the company and it's vision moving forward I'd be willing to hang on for the ride...all depends on your own risk tolerance.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
700 had to hold IMO. We could see some more weakness to 400 or so... On the flip side, if you believe in the company and it's vision moving forward I'd be willing to hang on for the ride...all depends on your own risk tolerance.

If they have one earnings miss, look out! I see 400 as their most optimistic valuation, but that's not even considering a recession with likely lower revenue and compressed margins.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
hahaha....its a waiting game now. sometimes those waiting games work out great. sometimes they dont.

At least this is a growing company. My waiting game on my second doge investment is likely a total lost cause.

I still think 2023 will be a boon with all 4 factories humming and cybertrucks starting to hit the roads.
So its gonna be a long term, a year at least? musk is s genius but can't use the social network to share all of his thoughts
The moments sucks and keep harming the shareholders with the twitter crap and his comment about politic

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jesus 400?
I believe in the company but its 56 stocks
Im destroyed, can't even think about anything else
What an idiot

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson