The Market 2022-2023-2024

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Now that the debt ceiling agreement has been reached, inflation is at 4.9 and headed to 3 by July, interest rates have peaked and the Fed is about to pause rate hikes, the S&P500 remains in a 7 month uptrend, corporate earnings are beating estimates, unemployment remains historically low, spending and travel are at all time highs, Oil has settled at a reasonable $70 level, and no recession has come....... I wonder what the doomsayers will come up with next to try to make everybody believe this is 2008 again and the S&P500 will be cut in half.

Investors emotions and imagination are their own worst enemy. Buy and hold good companies, ignore the noise.
I wish I could say this chart was bullish for investors... I really do. But, I can't fight history.

You must be registered for see images attach

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Pivots/pauses are not bullish either.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I know everyone says there's a pause coming on rate hikes, but really how can the Fed pause on this strong consumer spending? Plus unemployment down, which means more money into the economy.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Weird, my S&P index fund is up over 10% this year. Another disconnect of Wallstreet versus Mainstreet. I don't feel the economy is doing THAT well. Are companies really doing THAT well. I know people are buying things. Whenever I go to Walmart, it's packed!

Weird observation: Bananas are the cheapest price I have seen in YEARS! Literally, my son bought a bunch for $1.20 the other day. How can bananas, be so cheap, yet the bread I buy that is made here in the USA has doubled in price this last year? This economy has weird stuff going on!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weird, my S&P index fund is up over 10% this year. Another disconnect of Wallstreet versus Mainstreet. I don't feel the economy is doing THAT well. Are companies really doing THAT well. I know people are buying things. Whenever I go to Walmart, it's packed!

Weird observation: Bananas are the cheapest price I have seen in YEARS! Literally, my son bought a bunch for $1.20 the other day. How can bananas, be so cheap, yet the bread I buy that is made here in the USA has doubled in price this last year? This economy has weird stuff going on!

I think there is a disconnect.

I can't help but wonder if people are spending too much on credit and a recession is coming? Indiscriminate spending can do that.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think there is a disconnect.

I can't help but wonder if people are spending too much on credit and a recession is coming? Indiscriminate spending can do that.

It's also misleading...I'm spending more on groceries than I ever have...and I'm receiving less than ever before, which leads to more spending. But that's applied across the board. People are used to a way of life and it's difficult to change.

Credit is also a problem. I think I saw somewhere overall savings is being drained as well.

Not everything is all hunky-dory.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The S&P 500 is up over 9% YTD while the Nasdaq 100 is up over 31% YTD. Everybody and their brother has been predicting a recession this year and that may very well still happen, but this illustrates how hard it is predicting the market and why I am skeptical any time sentiment is overwhelmingly negative or positive.

The Fed funds rate went from 0 to over 5% in less than a year. Had you told me that last year, I would have guessed a recession was all but certain by this point. Again, that still may come, but what if it doesn't?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's also misleading...I'm spending more on groceries than I ever have...and I'm receiving less than ever before, which leads to more spending. But that's applied across the board. People are used to a way of life and it's difficult to change.

Credit is also a problem. I think I saw somewhere overall savings is being drained as well.

I change my spending habits when prices go up. It's more of my own personal rebellion. I will not reward higher prices unless it's an absolute necessity. There are some businesses who have raised prices just because they can.

I agree, everything is not hunky-dory. If people spend cash, reality hits home quicker.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I change my spending habits when prices go up. It's more of my own personal rebellion. I will not reward higher prices unless it's an absolute necessity. There are some businesses who have raised prices just because they can.

I agree, everything is not hunky-dory. If people spend cash, reality hits home quicker.
Just anecdotally, I have observed more people paying with cash in Walmarts. My most recent job had in me in Walmarts all throughout the day. There was a time that between debit cards and credit cards you NEVER saw anyone use cash. Now I AM seeing it more than ever. I think people are trying not to use credit, and are using cash to try and not spend too much. I even asked a couple cashiers if they were doing more cash transactions, and they all said yes.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just anecdotally, I have observed more people paying with cash in Walmarts. My most recent job had in me in Walmarts all throughout the day. There was a time that between debit cards and credit cards you NEVER saw anyone use cash. Now I AM seeing it more than ever. I think people are trying not to use credit, and are using cash to try and not spend too much. I even asked a couple cashiers if they were doing more cash transactions, and they all said yes.

Also, their credit cards might be maxed out or they are tired of paying whatever interest rate is on their balance, probably 20-25%.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

US credit card debt has been at an all time high the last 2 quarters at around $986B. Savings are also low. About 40% of the US has less than $1000 in savings and the median is at only $5300. Add onto that the state of auto loans with how many are > $1000/month and that a huge percentage are underwater.

It's the combo of all of that that has me thinking recession. Something has to give. Especially with what housing costs now.

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It is absolutely amazing to me how people don't leverage credit cards to their benefits. I do think something has to give, but it's at the expense of the lower incomes. They're already in debt, may not own homes or have a savings. Middle class and up are generally in a position to take advantage of a recession :/

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Please explain.

I know many of people who don't carry debt but pay for everything with a debit card for instance. The amount of rewards that can be had via paying with a credit card is absolutely astronomical if you know you're going to be spending money and paying it off.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know many of people who don't carry debt but pay for everything with a debit card for instance. The amount of rewards that can be had via paying with a credit card is absolutely astronomical if you know you're going to be spending money and paying it off.
Ah got it. Yeah, I put as much as possible on my credit card each month.

Edit: And pay it off each month.

Last edited:

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ah got it. Yeah, I put as much as possible on my credit card each month.

Edit: And pay it off each month.
Exactly. That's how you leverage credit cards. You find a good to decent rewards card with no annual fee. Pay it off every month. Then you sit back and make them pay you instead of you paying them. I double up with BofA and they match a percentage of my rewards every month.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
It is absolutely amazing to me how people don't leverage credit cards to their benefits. I do think something has to give, but it's at the expense of the lower incomes. They're already in debt, may not own homes or have a savings. Middle class and up are generally in a position to take advantage of a recession :/

I'm with you on leveraging cards the way you mentioned in the follow up. It's not only good for the rewards, it's also good for your credit and gives you a little bit of protection over a debit card in case of theft (money is against the credit line and not your cash).

I disagree a little though with the last sentence. I think the middle class are going to get screwed with a recession too. It'll only be the upper middle class and up that will be ok. The reports on the amount of savings, CC debt, etc. are painting that picture to me.

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm with you on leveraging cards the way you mentioned in the follow up. It's not only good for the rewards, it's also good for your credit and gives you a little bit of protection over a debit card in case of theft (money is against the credit line and not your cash).

I disagree a little though with the last sentence. I think the middle class are going to get screwed with a recession too. It'll only be the upper middle class and up that will be ok. The reports on the amount of savings, CC debt, etc. are painting that picture to me.

I would agree with your counter to my middle class argument to be honest, I just don't want to think it's true :/

And back to the whole CC thing, I commutatively pay around at least 1500k in CC annual fees on a yearly basis but they pay for themselves with rewards, credits, etc.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would agree with your counter to my middle class argument to be honest, I just don't want to think it's true :/

And back to the whole CC thing, I commutatively pay around at least 1500k in CC annual fees on a yearly basis but they pay for themselves with rewards, credits, etc.
I'm going to set up another thread to discuss perks for cards.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
IDK if it was this forum, but I noted that my 401K which is S&P 500 index stocks, was up over 14% for the year, which is crazy! Now is 15.88% for the year! That's craziness!