The Market 2022-2023-2024

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMO, the banking system is fine. This is the result of Fed easy money policy for far too long and having to slam on the brakes in 2022. Of course banks that concentrated their business in the speculative VC boom and crypto insanity that occurred post Covid were going to be stress tested.

Heads should roll at these banks as well as the CFOs of these companies that allowed so much cash beyond FDIC insurance to sit at one bank. I imagine there were lots of kickbacks to elicit such disregard of basic risk management.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can't make it up. When its all said and done he could break his legendary calls from the GFC...

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Backed into a corner. No way out. All from their very own actions, mind you..

Raise into this and markets panic. Cut into this and you pop the bubble and either runaway inflation takes hold or the bubble pops and yields crash. Either way, blood will be on their hands. Make no mistake.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Posted in P&R too. Nice explanation from Rep. Jackson on things.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow. Jim Cramer interviewing Ryan Reynolds right now on mad money. A man who has lost people millions upon millions of dollars vs a man who has saved people millions is the quite the dichotomy of the human condition... Fascinating.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
198 as of today...

Prepare accordingly.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Scarier but VIX at around 32 has been the bottom of the market and around 19 has been the top of the market for the last few years.
VIX being at 19 right now is not like the VIX at 19 a few years ago...I'll just leave it at that.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
High VIX is scarier than low VIX. Look at historical data.
High VIX is needed for capitulation. We have not had capitulation. We have a trending VIX to the upside(long term chart). A 19 VIX is scary stuff in this environment and should worry anyone who is bullish right now IMO.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Scarier but VIX at around 32 has been the bottom of the market and around 19 has been the top of the market for the last few years.

The VIX is a trailing indicator of larger-scale market swings. You might want to look more carefully.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The VIX is a trailing indicator of larger-scale market swings

The VIX is forward looking, since it measures 30 day forward projection of volatility through options expiration dates. Hardly a trailing indicator... Options are, in their very nature, forward looking. If they weren't, there wouldn't be any options traders. Hence, not a trailing indicator.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The VIX is forward looking, since it measures 30 day forward projection of volatility through options expiration dates. Hardly a trailing indicator... Options are, in their very nature, forward looking. If they weren't, there wouldn't be any options traders. Hence, not a trailing indicator.

It's a leading indicator of volatility, not of direction. It's a lagging indicator of direction. Look at the data again. If it were a leading indicator of direction, its projection would already be priced in. It's not like the VIX is secret.

Edit: Actually, never mind. You're always going to predict a crash, no matter what the data are. I've never seen you do otherwise. Yes, at some point the market will crash again. It might be next week or it might be 20 years from now. No matter when it happens, you'll claim you saw it coming.

You joined the board in September 2008 -- during the middle of the last big downturn, which I'm sure is not a coincidence. That's what brought you to the conversation, and the only way you can try to keep yourself relevant is to keep assuring us that it will happen again. So far, it's 15 years and counting, during which time the DJIA has approximately quadrupled.

Have it your way.

Last edited:

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Massive blow off top in this ratio... No bueno. Treasury Bond fund/ETFs look like a fantastic idea right about now if someone's looking to put some money to work IMO.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You joined the board in September 2008 -- during the middle of the last big downturn, which I'm sure is not a coincidence. That's what brought you to the conversation, and the only way you can try to keep yourself relevant is to keep assuring us that it will happen again. So far, it's 15 years and counting, during which time the DJIA has approximately quadrupled.
Yes, I joined a sports board during the GFC to post/follow exactly nothing to the financial boards during that whole time. lol. Bearish for 15 years? Funny guy. I actually got super bearish before the COVID crash and have maintained since...I'd say net-net, that isn't a horrible call. 3400-4000 (15% over 3 years, not even beating inflation) on the SPX for the amount of volatility we've experienced? Yeah, great risk to reward ehh?

With that said, you can take or leave the opinions and information I post. If I can maybe help a couple others see the things CNBC and others won't show you, then I can live with that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose