The Market 2021

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I nearly took a short term flyer on Carnival (CCL) yesterday when it fell below $20. It was down big on the day and after a steady fall from it's high of $31.52 in June. My dislike of the floating malls led me to wait another day thinking it could fall a bit further if we had another down day. Ifs and buts....
Yep I saw it at $19.52 (I think) and almost pulled the trigger---but didn't.

Yuma

Working from home. Missing my free coffee!
Reaction score
I thought this was graph was interesting/frightening.

You must be registered for see images attach
The revenue part is scary. I would like to see the chart on China like this. China is set to pass us in GDP any year now. I worry about our revenue direction. Would like to see that revenue start rising faster. That would help us tremendously with that deficit. Gonna need a great revenue jump to eat into that debt! No way at this point we can just use austerity to get us out of this. We do need to jump start every industry, bring back manufacturing, etc.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Does anyone here really pay attention to environmental, social and governance factors (ESG) when it comes to how they invest? My investments all have an ESG score but I honestly skip over that stuff most of the time and don't make purchases based on that at all.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Does anyone here really pay attention to environmental, social and governance factors (ESG) when it comes to how they invest? My investments all have an ESG score but I honestly skip over that stuff most of the time and don't make purchases based on that at all.
Retail schmucks like us don't... but institutional investors more often do...

Devilmaycare

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not at all. ESG is something that needs to die a quick death.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

A tiny bit. If I'm choosing between two mutual funds that have vaguely similar investment profiles, I'll probably opt for the one that's stronger on ESG. An example would be PRBLX, which Morningstar describes this way:

"The managers employ a firmwide philosophy and approach. They exclude companies that derive significant revenue from alcohol, tobacco, weapons, fossil fuels, nuclear power, or gambling and then employ ESG, quality, and valuation screens to filter out about 85% of the universe. From there, they look for companies with sustainable competitive advantages, increasingly relevant products or services, exemplary management, and ethical practices."

It's been about in step with index funds over the last few years, so my feeling is, why not push a little more money in the right direction, and maybe it will pay off for all of us down the road.

Folster

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I think they are a marketing gimmick and use ESG to justify higher fees. Fossil fuels are bad but what about slave and child labor. My understanding is that they score companies on a myriad of different areas and look at the company's total score so they may be in an industry you don't like, but score well in other areas that allow them to be included.

Ultimately the market and governments will sort out the winners and losers.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Biden holding an event to tout ice automakers moving to electric and goals to go more electric and still leaving out TSLA, you know, the company that made this happen. ICE is only moving electric because if they dont, electric cars were going to continue to eat into their profits until ICE vehicles no longer sell.

Yet the company that forced the auto industries hand will have no part of a panel.

Tesla is a DNC platform wet dream but the lobby money is so powerful they stay away from it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Biden holding an event to tout ice automakers moving to electric and goals to go more electric and still leaving out TSLA, you know, the company that made this happen. ICE is only moving electric because if they dont, electric cars were going to continue to eat into their profits until ICE vehicles no longer sell.

Yet the company that forced the auto industries hand will have no part of a panel.

Tesla is a DNC platform wet dream but the lobby money is so powerful they stay away from it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
This time it's being talked about. Buttegieg chimes in

My phone won't copy the link address right now

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210805-061225_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210805-061225_Chrome.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 4

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
It's very like all about the UAW when it comes to Tesla.

I've been tempted to put some $$ in to Ford but I've been hesitant. I don't own any car manufacturer stocks outright (including Tesla--which I kick myself for not jumping on board years ago)--of course some appear in my ETFs but maybe it's time to invest.

Devilmaycare

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I've been tempted to put some $$ in to Ford but I've been hesitant. I don't own any car manufacturer stocks outright (including Tesla--which I kick myself for not jumping on board years ago)--of course some appear in my ETFs but maybe it's time to invest.
I've seen a couple things now claiming that Pete admitted it was because Tesla isn't union. I haven't found a video though that shows him saying it so I'm treating it probable but not gospel.

What really annoys me with it is that the big 3 while union are also manufacturing outside the US. Just a couple months back GM announced that they were investing a billion dollars in Mexico for EV production and made the UAW mad. Meanwhile Tesla and Lucid are being made in the states. Lucid gets even higher marks since it's made in AZ. ;) I'll take their non-union jobs over no jobs at all.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's 100% on uaw. They were there and have unions at the 3 auto makers there and Biden went on and on about unions.

I think TSLA will absolutely explode over the next 24 months. It's not too late. Check out @garyblack00 on Twitter. Lots of talks of another stock split probably soon.