The Market 2021

dscher

Registered
Reaction score

....for anyone interested in black magic.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a good approach. It's easy to get tempted by the success of someone who threw all of their money into the right stock at the right time, but you don't hear about all of the failed cases that balance out that one success. So-called "technical analysis" plays to people's greed, but you have to realize that the market is mainly driven by the super-big money investors, who have gotten where they are by not being emotional about it.

Yep if you were smart enough to go SDOW at the start of Covid you could have made a killing when the market tanked and then played a 3X long DOW etf to double your money on the way back up. But if you were wrong, you could have LOST a ton of money too. It was tough but I just let it ride at that point and came out ahead in the end.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the luckiest things I ever did was buy 155 shares of Shopify at $34/share back in 2014. I don't remember why I did it, but I'm glad I did. lol

Oh sure rub it in (-:

Congrats. I bought it because of Motley Fool stockadvisor. I sold it because that short guy came out and said it was a fake company and I read the report, got nervous and took my gains and sold. And have been kicking myself(wish I could kick the short guy) ever since.

Glad someone made a killing on it! 1441.50 today I won't even begin to attempt the math on how much profit you have!

if my calculator is right you have over 223K!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the luckiest things I ever did was buy 155 shares of Shopify at $34/share back in 2014. I don't remember why I did it, but I'm glad I did. lol
FYI I had 78 shares at just over 41. I sold at 68. I'd have 103,752 now if I had held it!

oh well, live and learn.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Oh sure rub it in (-:

Congrats. I bought it because of Motley Fool stockadvisor. I sold it because that short guy came out and said it was a fake company and I read the report, got nervous and took my gains and sold. And have been kicking myself(wish I could kick the short guy) ever since.

Glad someone made a killing on it! 1441.50 today I won't even begin to attempt the math on how much profit you have!

Oh sure rub it in (-:

Yep I’m an idiot that got lucky. In 2014 I sat next to this guy at work that was into investing. He got me into stocks. I moved some cash around in my IRA and bought some Shopify and some Apple. It was before the Apple Watch came out. I thought for sure Apple was gonna invent the personal health market. They did alright but they have a long way to go.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep I’m an idiot that got lucky. In 2014 I sat next to this guy at work that was into investing. He got me into stocks. I moved some cash around in my IRA and bought some Shopify and some Apple. It was before the Apple Watch came out. I thought for sure Apple was gonna invent the personal health market. They did alright but they have a long way to go.

Wow even better in your IRA it's tax free growth! I had it in my regular etrade account. Stock Advisor was touting them. It just kills me I paid for a service to advise me what to buy, I listened to them and bought it, and then I let some professional short convince me something was amiss with the company and sold. Talk about stupid.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Wow even better in your IRA it's tax free growth! I had it in my regular etrade account. Stock Advisor was touting them. It just kills me I paid for a service to advise me what to buy, I listened to them and bought it, and then I let some professional short convince me something was amiss with the company and sold. Talk about stupid.
Yeah there’s nothing amiss. They’re as solid of a company as you can get. Great leadership too. I’ve listened to their ceo on several podcasts. Seems to be the real deal.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah there’s nothing amiss. They’re as solid of a company as you can get. Great leadership too. I’ve listened to their ceo on several podcasts. Seems to be the real deal.

I buy things online all the time that use Shopify and it's clearly a good company. It was Citron research in 2017 that said it was a scam.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like a big down open today the markets are all down over 1% in pre market. not totally clear why the economic numbers are actually really good.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Looks like a big down open today the markets are all down over 1% in pre market. not totally clear why the economic numbers are actually really good.

I think big investors and market movers are growing very concerned about inflation. They seem not to be in favor of the Fed’s reluctance to start tapering ASAP. Coupled with the increasing rates of Covid cases, hospitalizations and deaths across the country and in many parts of the world… The market seems to be poised for a drop that many have been expecting for quite some time…

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think big investors and market movers are growing very concerned about inflation. They seem not to be in favor of the Fed’s reluctance to start tapering ASAP. Coupled with the increasing rates of Covid cases, hospitalizations and deaths across the country and in many parts of the world… The market seems to be poised for a drop that many have been expecting for quite some time…

Right that's what the headlines say but the actual numbers are quite good, last week it seemed prices were higher than expected so we saw a dip, this morning the numbers are saying there's actually less inflation and more growth than expected. Several earnings announcements have surprised to the upside already in this earning season.

Will be interesting to see how it ends up today does the down trend hold or do comments about how positive the numbers actually are have any impact.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
COVID's recent upswing is stoking market fears all over again. Travel/tourism stocks are getting hammered again today--but everything is on a downward path. Barely anything I own is in the green today.

Folster

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The most perplexing recent market trend is the continued fall of the 10 year treasury rate. It's now fallen to 1.2% after peaking at the end of March at 1.75%.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
My guess is that investors are worried about inflation and are interpreting the most recent "not that bad" numbers as spin. One of my alternative energy ETFs is down 12% in a week. The covid resurgence and the problems in/with China are taking their toll also.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DOW down over 700 now. The numbers I saw this morning and the experts said so are actually better than expected considering last weeks numbers that spooked the market.

So I guess we'll see. I do think Covid spooking the market is a little odd, yes the variant is a problem but I don't think it's likely at all there's going to be much if any shutdown as a result because of vaccinations. So it won't really have much impact on opening up. But I think they're doing the math if it's doubling every 10 days, eventually it COULD have an impact on opening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AussieMatt