The Market 2021

dscher

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I get it. I forwarded it to a huge fanboy that I work with to tease him. My reply was in the same sardonic tone that I was giving him over it. A video like that is more of them peacocking than anything. If they were serious they'd just hit him and then show the world.
He better stop taking to Twitter about Bitcoin so he doesn't upset his tsla stock fanboys in the process..

https://www.ibtimes.com/tesla-stock-bitcoin-price-correlation-revealed-whats-common-link-3047817

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Per Morgan Stanley.

That's a chart I can get behind. When you're talking about an entire index instead of an individual stock, the psychology of how traders are interpreting market moves becomes more of a factor.

I'd like to see the last year or so of the S&P 500 on a log scale. Several sites claim to offer that, but I haven't found one that actually does it -- either the site doesn't work at all, or their "log scale" isn't a log scale, or the graph is cluttered with a whole bunch of other nonsense trend lines, making it impossible to read. It might be that chartists don't know what "log scale" actually means.

dscher

Registered
Reaction score
That's a chart I can get behind. When you're talking about an entire index instead of an individual stock, the psychology of how traders are interpreting market moves becomes more of a factor.

I'd like to see the last year or so of the S&P 500 on a log scale. Several sites claim to offer that, but I haven't found one that actually does it -- either the site doesn't work at all, or their "log scale" isn't a log scale, or the graph is cluttered with a whole bunch of other nonsense trend lines, making it impossible to read. It might be that chartists don't know what "log scale" actually means.
Stockcharts.com has a free basic charting platform that comes standard as log scale. You can narrow in on different time frames(daily,weekly, monthly) as well fairly easily.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Stockcharts.com has a free basic charting platform that comes standard as log scale. You can narrow in on different time frames(daily,weekly, monthly) as well fairly easily.

Good to know that it's out there, but I'm not willing to register for an account.

dscher

Registered
Reaction score
Right, not a log scale -- the y-axis is equally spaced arithmetically (380, 385, 390, etc.) rather than geometrically.
I don't know man. It should be checked off right below the chart as 'log' not arithmetic. Stockcharts is a pretty reliable source for good quality charting.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I don't know man. It should be checked off right below the chart as 'log' not arithmetic. Stockcharts is a pretty reliable source for good quality charting.

Yes, I see the check box, but it's not a log chart. Can you screen shot a log chart? Maybe the check box works only for subscribers.

Edit: Here's one for the DJIA, although it's nowhere near as current as I'd like. But you can see the correct scaling along the y-axis.

You must be registered for see images attach

dscher

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I see the check box, but it's not a log chart. Can you screen shot a log chart? Maybe the check box works only for subscribers.

Edit: Here's one for the DJIA, although it's nowhere near as current as I'd like. But you can see the correct scaling along the y-axis.

This is a daily/log chart. I dated it back a full year from today on my charts for ya since you were interested.

dscher

Registered
Reaction score

I know that screenshot didn't turn out well. But they look the same as the free version to me. I found this... Most short term traders will use arithmetic while log are better at smoothing out longer term price action.

https://stockcharts.com/articles/ma...tween-a-logarithmic-and-arithmetic-chart.html

So maybe honing in on the daily charts will yield similar results while the weekly and monthly will differ. Hope this helps.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I charted a few logs this afternoon

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk