The Manchester United FC thread

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If Villareal were fighting for a Champions League spot, I'm sure you'd root for them to get as far as possible so Jozy could develop into a better player vs tougher competition.

I'd be interested in them doing something, but I don't follow any of the teams that Americans are on. Questioning my fandom is deflecting from the real deal here. I've liked the teams I like for years, the reasons might be different for all of them (like I happened to get a Juve shirt years ago out of the blue), but I won't apologize for it. And I'm certainly not going to become a fan of another team simply because a single American player happens to be there. That's bandwagonning.

I really like Landon Donovan and Timmy Howard, but I wasn't an Everton fan when they were there last season and I didn't go out of my way to see games of theirs (although to be fair, it's difficult to see Everton games here to begin with).

If Lionel Messi moved from Barca to ManU, Manchester United wouldn't become my favorite team. Just like if Landon went from the Galaxy to Bolton, I wouldn't become a huge Wanderer fan.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Considering none of us are actually from these regions, I don't see how you can fault anyone for how they chose a team.

Except ManU. I don't see how anyone could possibly root for ManU.

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
Except ManU. I don't see how anyone could possibly root for ManU.

bah it's Manchester United.. or Man United.. No United fan would ever say "man U" if you knew the history it would know it's actually an insult to the club. I've been a huge United fan since we way in the 80s and the best player ever is the King Eric Cantona! Was very happy to watch them play in KC and my daughter and I thought the 18 hr road trip (9 hrs each way) was def worth it!

And yes I am a Arizona Cardinal fan have been since they were in St Louis so that proves I'm not a "band wagon" fan by any means haha...

If Sunderland can get a thread of 100 pages on this board I would have to imagine that the best team ever can manage a couple of pages as well...

your delusional with that phone number... yea 18 English titles is nothing?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bah it's Manchester United.. or Man United.. No United fan would ever say "man U" if you knew the history it would know it's actually an insult to the club.

And your point is? Or perhaps you missed mine.

You must be registered for see images

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
And your point is? Or perhaps you missed mine.

You must be registered for see images

I like this pic!

Sadly, the conclusion to this game could have been guessed well beforehand. One of the better teams in the league against newly-promoted Newcastle. Ah well. I wasn't expecting points in this one, and points is definitely the only thing we can hope to achieve this season.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm City till I die
I'm City till I die
I know I am
I'm sure I am
I'm City till I die

Most of City's Man U chants I cant post here lol

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Or retires.

For such a scrappy player, he sure likes to bitch a lot.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Or retires.

For such a scrappy player, he sure likes to bitch a lot.

Watch his during a game. Defenders cant really contain him so they elbow him, kick him, pull on him, push him. He is like the anti-Michael Jordan you could punch him in the face and the ref's aint calling nothing.

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have watched him during games. I even credited him for being a scrappy player.

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Oh, i meant with the media with all his retirement talk. His incredibly offsides goal vs Mexico in the WC solidified him as an a-hole in my book though. I hope he sucks the rest of his career :)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Oh, i meant with the media with all his retirement talk. His incredibly offsides goal vs Mexico in the WC solidified him as an a-hole in my book though. I hope he sucks the rest of his career :)

It's not his fault that wasn't called. That's referee incompetence.

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know :)
I just have blind hate for Argentine soccer players for kicking us out of two consecutive world cups. Except for Gabriel Batistuta, that guy was awesome.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
bah it's Manchester United.. or Man United.. No United fan would ever say "man U" if you knew the history it would know it's actually an insult to the club. I've been a huge United fan since we way in the 80s and the best player ever is the King Eric Cantona! Was very happy to watch them play in KC and my daughter and I thought the 18 hr road trip (9 hrs each way) was def worth it!

And yes I am a Arizona Cardinal fan have been since they were in St Louis so that proves I'm not a "band wagon" fan by any means haha...

If Sunderland can get a thread of 100 pages on this board I would have to imagine that the best team ever can manage a couple of pages as well...

your delusional with that phone number... yea 18 English titles is nothing?
That's good for them. I rarely call them that either. Scum is the term used in my family and for good reason.

What I REALLY can't stand is when people refer to them as 'United', as if there is only one.

TheKid_1

Registered
Reaction score
Hahaha this thread is hilarious. So much hate on United. For those who claim there is no good reason for why an American can choose to become a United fan other than bandwagoning I offer my reason. The reason I am a fan of United is because when I first really began following international club soccer, the only games you could ever find on American television were United games. Every once and a while you would catch another big club like Liverpool, Arsenal, etc. but even then it was usually against United. Accordingly, you begin to learn the players and the style of play and naturally tend to root for that team. Now that ESPN and FSC are starting to show more games this reason won't be as applicable, but that's my reasoning.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Hahaha this thread is hilarious. So much hate on United. For those who claim there is no good reason for why an American can choose to become a United fan other than bandwagoning I offer my reason. The reason I am a fan of United is because when I first really began following international club soccer, the only games you could ever find on American television were United games. Every once and a while you would catch another big club like Liverpool, Arsenal, etc. but even then it was usually against United. Accordingly, you begin to learn the players and the style of play and naturally tend to root for that team. Now that ESPN and FSC are starting to show more games this reason won't be as applicable, but that's my reasoning.

You like the Lakers too? Because that's the same reason they have so many fans outside of LA.

:D

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That video is a joke right? You aren't trying to actually make a claim for them being a good supported team because of THAT video!?!

They have a good set of core fans but the majority are a joke. They hand out lyrics outside of Old Trafford for fans to learn the songs. They are the height of plastic, fake fans who give true football supporters a bad name.

This was my last visit to OT. :D Stretford end no less!

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Here is a video of some true scum fans (there are SOME out there).

Of course they only really make noise when singing about a certain team. . . .

I F-ING LOVE FOOTBALL!!!!

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
That video is a joke right? You aren't trying to actually make a claim for them being a good supported team because of THAT video!?!

No of course I don't need a video to back up a claim... almost everyone knows there is truly only one United... plus it's quite catchy.

i hear what your saying about how OT gets so eerily quiet at times now... unless we are playing City or L'Pool... Just too corporate these days...

I miss Cantona:(

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson