The Luka Report

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With Ayton's HISTORICALLY good rookie season, why is he even mentioned in a sentence with Bowie. Luka is that good, but why does it invalidate how good Ayton is or will be?? And that has been a running theme on this board.

so, I've seen the above reference to Ayton's "historically good rookie season" multiple times, but can I ask what exactly that statement is based on?

He averaged 16 pp., 10 rebounds and 1 block per game, right. very good numbers for a rookie to be sure. But I looked at a handful of other rookie Centers rookie seasons and I'm left scratching my head about what was historic that Ayton achieved. Here's just some of the guys who had better rookie seasons:

Alonzo Mourning: 21 ppg, 10 rebounds, 2.7 blocks.
Shaq: 23 ppg, 14 rebounds, 3.5 blocks.
Dikembe: 16 ppg, 12 rebounds, 3 blocks.
KAT: 18 ppg, 12 rebounds, 1.7 blocks
Ewing: 20 ppg, 9 rebounds, 2 blocks
Ralph Sampson: 21 ppg, 11 rebounds, 2.5 blocks
Olajuwon: 21 ppg, 12 rebounds, 2.7 blocks

All of those centers had better, if not much better rookie seasons, so I'm curious where the "historically good" designation comes into view for Ayton.

Note: Simply questioning if Ayton had a historic season is NOT an attack on him or any other poster. I just want to know what that moniker is based on from the people who believe it to be the case.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
so, I've seen the above reference to Ayton's "historically good rookie season" multiple times, but can I ask what exactly that statement is based on?

He averaged 16 pp., 10 rebounds and 1 block per game, right. very good numbers for a rookie to be sure. But I looked at a handful of other rookie Centers rookie seasons and I'm left scratching my head about what was historic that Ayton achieved. Here's just some of the guys who had better rookie seasons:

Alonzo Mourning: 21 ppg, 10 rebounds, 2.7 blocks.
Shaq: 23 ppg, 14 rebounds, 3.5 blocks.
Dikembe: 16 ppg, 12 rebounds, 3 blocks.
KAT: 18 ppg, 12 rebounds, 1.7 blocks
Ewing: 20 ppg, 9 rebounds, 2 blocks
Ralph Sampson: 21 ppg, 11 rebounds, 2.5 blocks
Olajuwon: 21 ppg, 12 rebounds, 2.7 blocks

All of those centers had better, if not much better rookie seasons, so I'm curious where the "historically good" designation comes into view for Ayton.

Note: Simply questioning if Ayton had a historic season is NOT an attack on him or any other poster. I just want to know what that moniker is based on from the people who believe it to be the case.

His age. Everyone but KAT on that list played 3 or 4 years of college basketball.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His age. Everyone but KAT on that list played 3 or 4 years of college basketball.

so it's not rookie season, it's he's the "youngest" to put 16/10/1 up?

Well, Ayton was 20 years old, right? Shaq was 20 years old his rookie season. Same with KAT.

So, still scratching my head over "historic rookie season". I mean, you can come up with whatever combo of stats you want to fit an argument, but i just think the "historic" designation is a little hyperbolic in terms of rookie impact and stats.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
so it's not rookie season, it's he's the "youngest" to put 16/10/1 up?

Well, Ayton was 20 years old, right? Shaq was 20 years old his rookie season. Same with KAT.

So, still scratching my head over "historic rookie season". I mean, you can come up with whatever combo of stats you want to fit an argument, but i just think the "historic" designation is a little hyperbolic in terms of rookie impact and stats.
The historical part of it is putting up those stats on insanely good efficiency. Without the efficiency it's a good rookie season, but not anything historic about it.

While I do think the "historical" part is a bit overstated, it's not like you pointing out a couple rarities argues against that claim. Though I do believe that no rookie big man has ever put 16/10 with at least 60% TS%. Shaq was a more impressive rookie than Ayton, but he still didn't achieve the shooting percentages that Ayton did.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The historical part of it is putting up those stats on insanely good efficiency. Without the efficiency it's a good rookie season, but not anything historic about it.

While I do think the "historical" part is a bit overstated, it's not like you pointing out a couple rarities argues against that claim. Though I do believe that no rookie big man has ever put 16/10 with at least 60% TS%. Shaq was a more impressive rookie than Ayton, but he still didn't achieve the shooting percentages that Ayton did.

ok.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It's human nature to hear people say that what is in front of them is the greatest ever.

Especially if their first hand experience doesn't go back that far.

I wouldn't get too worked up over the exaggerations.

Except for those who expect too much, too soon. Instant gratification.
And setting themselves up for disappointment if perfection is not reached.

I'm looking for Deandre to maximize his potential skill set and help get
the Suns into serious playoff consideration.

Whether he turns out to be a straight Center, a straight Power Forward
or a Center on offense and guard the perimeter on defense.

We all like having favorite players who are All Stars, but I am a Suns fan
first and want to see us become an elite team, with everyone playing
their role.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ayton "was" performing about how we expected. He fills a need at a position where we've lacked for eons. So we will get our drafts worth out of him. His competition isnt Luka...its Len.

Just dont bust baby!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA