The Lone Ranger (2013)

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am surprised anyone bothered to see this in the theatre. Screams rental.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I laughed when I heard they were making this into a movie. The people who might be interested in seeing this are either dead or confined to an assisted living facility.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I laughed when I heard they were making this into a movie. The people who might be interested in seeing this are either dead or confined to an assisted living facility.

Okay, now I'm feeling a bit old. I would have been interested in seeing this done the right way. I think there are still a lot of us around that grew up in the 50's and 60's with fond memories of hearing Hi Ho Silver on Saturday mornings. Once they attached the Pirate crew complete with His Deppness I lost interest and that probably applies to much of my generation. But from what I've read about it, this movie will probably do pretty well once it makes it to the home theater market. It seems to set up slowly and finish strong and people are far less patient with this dynamic when sitting amongst strangers.

Steve

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just watched this movie again last night with my bride, and both of us like it. It's great fun, lotsa action, and we don't apologize that we think Depp's portrayal of Tonto is an absolute hoot. Is the movie perfect? Hell no! But I haven't seen a film yet that is. The telling of the story by an ancient Tonto to the little boy was well done, too. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder, but I know that on a personal basis, a lot more of the people I know enjoyed it than hated it. If you can't stand the different take on the legend, I recommend you go buy the old Clayton Moore/Jay Silverheels TV episodes and movies. I have some of them, and I can tell you that watching them today is simply painful (albeit a bit nostalgic).

BTW.... It didn't kill Disney, either. The production budget was $215 million and the gross in box office and DVD sales is over $305 million. Not exactly the kind of performance they were hoping for, but not nearly as bad as the film's haters have portrayed it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just watched this movie again last night with my bride, and both of us like it. It's great fun, lotsa action, and we don't apologize that we think Depp's portrayal of Tonto is an absolute hoot. Is the movie perfect? Hell no! But I haven't seen a film yet that is. The telling of the story by an ancient Tonto to the little boy was well done, too. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder, but I know that on a personal basis, a lot more of the people I know enjoyed it than hated it. If you can't stand the different take on the legend, I recommend you go buy the old Clayton Moore/Jay Silverheels TV episodes and movies. I have some of them, and I can tell you that watching them today is simply painful (albeit a bit nostalgic).

BTW.... It didn't kill Disney, either.

Nothing will ever "kill" Disney. But it sure as hell did destroy it's bottom line that year.

The production budget was $215 million and the gross in box office and DVD sales is over $305 million. Not exactly the kind of performance they were hoping for, but not nearly as bad as the film's haters have portrayed it.

Actually, it was worse then most of the film's haters portrayed it Chris. Besides the 215 million dollar budget, you also have to throw in 150 million bucks in P&R which isn't included in the budget, bringing the total cost of the movie to 365 million before it even hit the theaters. Then add in the fact that studios usually only get around 50% of ticket sales/DVDs, and what you're looking at is one of the all-time bombs in the history of cinema. It was a 150-190 MILLION dollar loss. That's one of the worst performances in the history of the business. And if you don't want to take my word for it... take it from the horse's... or Mickey Mouse's mouth...

http://deadline.com/2013/08/disney-expects-to-write-down-as-much-as-190m-for-lone-ranger-558385/

that said, I thought the last hour was a lot of fun, but that first hour and 15 minutes I was bored to tears.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to agree this movie was nowhere near as bad as they made it out to be. No it wasn't anything special but we waited to see it on home video because of all the bad reviews. We were expecting the worst thing to hit the screen. It wasn't. The kids thought it was entertaining.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I did the same a couple of weeks ago and I agree.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made it about 1/2 an hour in and wasn't impressed. Gave it a shot, because my parents loved it.

You should just watch the whole thing. Although I don't agree, there's a number of people who thing the first hour is boring, and the rest of the picture was fun.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
You should just watch the whole thing. Although I don't agree, there's a number of people who thing the first hour is boring, and the rest of the picture was fun.

Nah, not my cup of tea. If the first hour is boring, I usually still finish it in the theater. At home, on the DVR? No necessito.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Watched this on cable, I didn't find it entertaining to be honest.

Outside of the Pirates movies what is the last Depp film that really did well at the box office?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watched this on cable, I didn't find it entertaining to be honest.

Outside of the Pirates movies what is the last Depp film that really did well at the box office?

Alice In Wonderland. Better question is what was the last movie Depp was in that was actually GOOD, regardless of box office returns. Been a while since I saw him be great in sonething. Hoping Black Mass is a return to form for him.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alice In Wonderland. Better question is what was the last movie Depp was in that was actually GOOD, regardless of box office returns. Been a while since I saw him be great in sonething. Hoping Black Mass is a return to form for him.

He has been in Hollywood for a long time. I think he went through a period of getting his piece of the pie. His deals from what understand always include a gross of the receipts. I think Black Mass is his way of "getting back to it" while still doing blockbusters. I kind of like how RDJ has done the Marvel stuff but still continues to do other stuff as well.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I honestly thought it was entertaining and some what funny. My wife and I liked it.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly thought it was entertaining and some what funny. My wife and I liked it.

Watched it again the other night and my wife and I really enjoyed it. No thinking, no deep hidden meanings, no Shakespearean dialogue, just good old, nostalgic, Lone Ranger and Tonto shoot-em-up action with some fun thrown in. The whole thing being told to a 10 year old by Tonto was most excellent.

Liked it before, still do.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watched it again the other night and my wife and I really enjoyed it. No thinking, no deep hidden meanings, no Shakespearean dialogue, just good old, nostalgic, Lone Ranger and Tonto shoot-em-up action with some fun thrown in. The whole thing being told to a 10 year old by Tonto was most excellent.

Liked it before, still do.

i thought it was pretty slow throughout, but the last 30 minute action set-piece is one hell of a ride.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turns out Depp wasn’t the craziest shatstain of a person to star in this film.

yeah, looking back there is a lot of really problematic issues/people in this one.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

yeah, looking back there is a lot of really problematic issues/people in this one.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score