The Lobster

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not a big Colin Farrell fan, but it has John C Reilly. Looks interesting.

The Lobster is a love story set in the near future where single people, according to the rules of The City, are arrested and transferred to The Hotel. There they are obliged to find a matching mate in 45 days. If they fail, they are transformed into an animal of their choosing and released into The Woods. A desperate Man escapes from The Hotel to The Woods where The Loners live and falls in love, although it is against their rules.

Director: Yorgos Lanthimos
Writers: Yorgos Lanthimos, Efthymis Filippou
Stars: Léa Seydoux, Rachel Weisz, Colin Farrell

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lobster

Release Date: May 13, 2016 (limited)
Studio: A24
Director: Yorgos Lanthimos
MPAA Rating: R (for sexual content including dialogue, and some violence)
Screenwriters: Yorgos Lanthimos, Efthymis Filippou
Genre: Drama, Comedy, Romance

Starring: Colin Farrell, Rachel Weisz, John C. Reilly, Lea Seydoux, Ben Whishaw

Plot Summary: In this highly imaginative, delightfully absurdist comedy from visionary director Yorgos Lanthimos ("Dogtooth"), Colin Farrell stars as David, a man who has just been dumped by his wife. To make matters worse, David lives in a society where single people have 45 days to find true love, or else they are turned into the animal of their choice and released into the woods. David is kept at the mysterious HOTEL while he searches for a new partner, and after several romantic misadventures decides to make a daring escape to abandon this world. He ultimately joins up with a rebel faction known as The Loners, a group founded on a complete rejection of romance. But once there David meets an enigmatic stranger (Rachel Weisz) who stirs up unexpected and strong feelings within him…

At once a full immersion into a strange and surreal world, and a witty and clever reflection of our own society, "The Lobster" is a thrillingly audacious vision fully brought to life by Lanthimos and his terrific cast. The filmmaker displays a completely singular style and mastery of tone, finding the perfect balance between sharp-edged satire and romantic fable that entertains its audience while also leaving them with lots to reflect on long after the credits have rolled.

You must be registered for see images attach

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My son and I saw this last night. This was the strangest movie I have ever seen! Except for Eraserhead.

Kind of a dystopian deal where the powers that be want everyone matched up, not single. That societal goal unleashes an inordinate amount of absurd events and too many WTF moments to count. The acting was excellent all the way around. Each of the main characters seemed like they had extraordinary psychological problems.

I was glad to see this in the main 6plex theatre where I live and not in a tiny arthouse theatre. If you enjoy unusual films with an indie flavor, go see this.

My son said this was by far the best movie of the year and he sees just about everything. Of course, he loved Eraserhead too so if you are a mainstream movie goer, ya gotta take his comments with a heaping dose of salt. :) It is pulling a 90% on Rotten Tomatoes though. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_lobster/

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son and I saw this last night. This was the strangest movie I have ever seen! Except for Eraserhead.

Kind of a dystopian deal where the powers that be want everyone matched up, not single. That societal goal unleashes an inordinate amount of absurd events and too many WTF moments to count. The acting was excellent all the way around. Each of the main characters seemed like they had extraordinary psychological problems.

I was glad to see this in the main 6plex theatre where I live and not in a tiny arthouse theatre. If you enjoy unusual films with an indie flavor, go see this.

My son said this was by far the best movie of the year and he sees just about everything. Of course, he loved Eraserhead too so if you are a mainstream movie goer, ya gotta take his comments with a heaping dose of salt. :) It is pulling a 90% on Rotten Tomatoes though. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_lobster/

sounds like a really weird version of divergent

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This looks so weird. I might have to see it.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

Yeah, this film was very strange indeed. I love dark comedies and unique films, but I didn't much care for this one. Not enough comedy to go along with the weirdness.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, this film was very strange indeed. I love dark comedies and unique films, but I didn't much care for this one. Not enough comedy to go along with the weirdness.

Been so long since I saw, can't comment much. Thanks for bringing back a good memory with my son though, June 2016, time sure flies by.