Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not a good time of year to be hiking in the afternoon in the Valley. I wonder what time they started? Kinda nuts

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hikers were rescued from an Arizona mountain while filming a reality show as temperatures hit 108 degrees​

A group of hikers filming a reality show were rescued via helicopter from a trail in Phoenix on Thursday due to heat-related illnesses, officials said.

At least eight people needed assistance getting down from the Echo Canyon Trail on Camelback Mountain as temperatures hit triple digits, said Capt. Evan Gammage, a spokesperson for the Phoenix Fire Department.

“We had no idea going into it that this apparently was one of the hardest trails in Phoenix,” Kristin Livingston, one of the hikers, told CNN affiliate KTVK/KPHO. Five members of the group were taken from the trail by helicopter and three others walked down the mountain with assistance, KTVK/KPHO reported.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why this happens annually is beyond me. As soon as it gets hot, I only hike up north in the pines because I'm not waking up at 5-6am on my day off.

How people go hiking with one water bottle is such madness too. like, how dumb are we here?

I bring a minimum of a 2L camelbak and still run out of water on some hikes.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "man in his 20s" has been identified as a 32-year-old doctor.

Valley doctor dies after hiking in Cave Creek during extreme heat

Scottsdale Fire officials announced a man in his 20s died while hiking in extreme heat. He has been identified by MCSO as 32-year-old Evan Dishion.

ABC15 spoke with Dr. Dishion's wife Amy, who says he came from humble beginnings and "just wanted to help people".

She says the pair supported each other, even as Evan chased his dreams to become a doctor.

Amy tells ABC15 they moved all over the country, eventually landing here in Phoenix where Evan became a neurology resident at Barrow Neurological Institute.

The couple just had their first child, Chloe.

"Since Chloe came, he hasn't had as much time with his friends between residency," said Amy. "I feel like normally I would have pushed back a little harder about the heat."

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Here we go again...

Woman dies while hiking Grand Canyon in triple-digit temperatures​

2 hikers were found dead in Nevada's valley of fire state park yesterday. it was about 115 degrees here in southern Nevada. I think the hikers thought they were ok because they started early. There are some places where you should not hike at all in the summer time.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just recently saw on the news that hikers were still going up there. I don’t understand why. they are putting S&R at risk as well.

I agree wholeheartedly. Maybe we need to enact something similar to the "Stupid Motorist Law" we have for people that drive around flash flood barricades.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly. Maybe we need to enact something similar to the "Stupid Motorist Law" we have for people that drive around flash flood barricades.
Yeah I was watching a video about that last night. Camelback can be dangerous without the heat. So going up there in this type of weather is risking your life and the people that have to come save you. Even if you are fit and a good hiker it is still very dangerous. Thankfully there are some well trained people that can rescue others.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

We should also be very careful with dogs in hot cars, even if we are driving with the air conditioning on. Since dogs don't perspire, they don't get the same benefits of evaporative cooling. I've noticed that my dog gets very uncomfortable in the five-minute drive home from day care, even if I've just driven the car to pick him up and it doesn't feel that bad to me.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose