The Last Duel

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
For better or worse, I'm checking this one out. I'm treating my mother to this one because no one--and I mean no one--wants to go see this movie. My sense is that it's a train wreck waiting to happen but I love the concept/look of it, so I want to give it a shot. Early reviews are highly positive, which is a pleasant surprise. We shall see.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s Ridley Scott and an all-star cast. This would get me to a theater to check it out, so looking forward to your thoughts @Stout .

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
It’s Ridley Scott and an all-star cast. This would get me to a theater to check it out, so looking forward to your thoughts @Stout .

Yeah, but it's today's Ridley Scott, not the Ridley Scott from years gone by, and we've REALLY seen stars flop in period pieces like this--the Chris Pine one comes to mind. But I think if it works, it'll REALLY work, so here's hoping. Also, I loved Robin Hood, so... :shrug:

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
This was actually really well done. At first I found Damon's performance seriously lacking, but as it unfolded, yeah, he did just as well as the others. Neat story structure that made for a tense narrative. A little too drawn out, but still.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Impeccably well made film. I thought it was pretty well done, but wasn't a huge fan of Ben Affleck in the film. I also like the Rashomon-like structure, although I thought the differences between the 3 versions of the story were too subtle for such a long runtime.

I haven't been a fan of Ridley Scott since the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven (except maybe Blade Runner 2049 and The Martian), but this was much better than most of his filmography. He can still do battle scenes with the best of them.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This movie completely bombed. The marketing of this movie was so piss poor.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dug it. Was actually pretty different from my expectations in some ways and fit them perfectly in others. Totally felt the same way as @Stout with Damon, but different with @Chaplin about Affleck. I thought he shined.

Morale of this movie: Men are freaking idiots.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave