OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
lmao

You make it so obvious.

What are you on about? Why do I need to watch him in college to have an opinion of him as an NFL QB?

There's a whole bunch of QBs who looked legendary in college who have been garbage in the league.

I've watched Herbert's 3 games and I believe he's going to be a great NFL QB.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Herbert actually reminds me of Wentz.

Take that as you may. Wentz has been a guy who shifts from top 5 to top 20 QB depending on the week.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And the more I watch the film I wouldnt worry about Kyler. He's being overanalyzed.

He came off his 1st legit 3 int game/almost 4.
(Steelers game last year was different. Int was when the game was over)

He was too cognizant of that fact and it hurt the team. Sometimes too many ints (even the ones thats not really your fault like week 2) can weigh on a young QB. And you dont want to be like Jameis or Baker Mayfield last year where it just takes a toll on your season or becomes the narrative.

Think he'll bounce back against the Jets and going forward.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought this was a great video. A really good example of the difference between a bad QB (Trubisky) and a good one (Foles) and how they can make the difference between a win and a loss.

As fans we very rarely consider things like this.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

ReasonableMan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That’s the thing missing, that QBs like Kurt, Carson and Favre had...they may throw 3 picks, but keep slinging it until they get the winning TD...or at least shrug it off and come out slinging again the next week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That was one thing I really liked about Palmer. He’d play a pure garbage series and come out like it didn’t happen. Kyler needs to learn that skill

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good video here from Urban Meyer explaining how to scheme for shorter QBs

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Good video here from Urban Meyer explaining how to scheme for shorter QBs

Problem with/for Kliff. At A&M when he had Manziel he basically relied on Russell Wilson like crazy scrambles to throw on the run.

Manziel couldnt see guys open at A&M. He just moved around like crazy. Kliff didnt call many designed run plays or RPOs.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler needs a superstar performance against this disaster he’s about to play. If he’s going to be that guy, this is the spot. The team is reeling, they needs reboot and he’s the leader. Gotta get it done tomorrow.

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Agree with what many have said about Kyler, and would add this isn't taking into account his poor mannerisms and sideline demeanor, which is a whole separate issue if you want to lead a group of men. His interactions with KK and Fitz haven't been ideal--KK knows more about football than Kyler and Fitz knows more than both.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I actually wonder if Kyler being afraid to take negative plays/sacks has impacted his ability to make scramble plays to see guys open.
@BritCard

Not technically on the run, but again creating space to find throwing lanes and throwing a strike over the middle to Fitz?

This year he probably just runs to the left for 8 yards.

Even these plays

Last edited:
OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I actually wonder if Kyler being afraid to take negative plays/sacks has impacted his ability to make scramble plays to see guys open.
@BritCard

Not technically on the run, but again creating space to find throwing lanes and throwing a strike over the middle to Fitz?

This year he probably just runs to the left for 8 yards.

Even these plays

Kliff spoke a lot about cleaning up the negative plays and sacks in the off season. I wonder if they have hammered that point too much and it has Kyler playing it safe.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interesting tweet from PFF. Points out in the comments that issues have not been the play calls but Kyler's execution.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Interesting tweet from PFF. Points out in the comments that issues have not been the play calls but Kyler's execution.

Interesting tweet but based on what (how is he measuring the best play callers)?

Edit...here is his explanation:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Interesting tweet but based on what (how is he measuring the best play callers)?

Edit...here is his explanation:

I don't think PFF and I have ever agreed more which is freaking me out a bit.

It's one area that I feel fans miss when evaluating offenses. The evaluation is overly focused on the result of plays and not the process. That is where I struggle with people critiquing the paycalling vs the Panthers. Isabella, great play call. Fitz, great play call. The TD to THomas also had Daniels wide open. Check downs with guys open further down the field.

Facts are that Kliff and Murray ARE tied together. Neither will succeed in AZ without the other. Both will get another year regardless of how this season goes. Outside of that, Kliff is actually more likely to get a second chance than Kyler due to Kyler being such an outlier in terms of QBs. Maybe he could be a Tyrod Taylor but I don't believe he would be happy with that role. I have said from the start, Kyler is either an above average QB or out of the league. I don't see him hanging around the league like Andy Dalton if it doesn't work out in AZ.