The Keto Diet

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Any diet that prohibits you from eating an apple is ridiculous in my opinion.

New diet fads come and go, but the bottom line to weight loss is simple math calories in calories out. Keto isn't magic.

When you eliminate carbs from your diet you are just restricting your calorie intake in a round about way. Most people find it difficult to over eat with proteins and fats. Most overeating is carb based. Chips cookies, soda, and the like are the main culprits.

I imagine if you tracked the caloric intake of the people who have had great success with a Keto diet, you'd see a significant caloric reduction with the Keto diet which led to the weight loss.

I get what you're saying about fad diets and I'm sure we'd agree there. However, your theory about the simple math of calories in calories out just doesn't agree with science, or at least the studies I've read.

I'm not sure if a strict keto diet would prohibit an apple or not (probably depends on what else you're eating too), but I definitely wouldn't think twice about eating an apple. As long as I didn't plan on sitting still for a long period of time afterward. Apple juice however is an entirely different story. You're body has no idea what to do with a blast of that much sugar with no fiber.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I do a 24 hour fast once a week... and lately, have shifted my eating to a 16 - 8 schedule (fast for 16 hours and eat all my meals in an 8 hour window).
Thinking about going for a 3-day fast. I'm curious if you prep in any sort of way leading up to your 48 or 5 day fast? What do you drink during the fast? And how do you come off the fast?

I kinda do prep, but not for any specific reason. I just like to have fun with it, since it's my last meal for a while. Then I just have my normal coffee in the morning (just black of course). Plenty of water and La Croixs during the day. Usually just a regular meal is fine coming off the fast and I'm full pretty quick. Then I'm usually hungry again pretty soon. However, I've read many stories of people rushing back to food too quickly and having issues, so I would take it slow initially.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I’ve increased my cal intake over 3k/day. That’s a lot for me so I’m eating sauerkraut to keep things moving. Mentally I feel great on low carb diet but can’t keep weight (good weight).

Yuma

Working from home. Missing my free coffee!
Reaction score
I’ve increased my cal intake over 3k/day. That’s a lot for me so I’m eating sauerkraut to keep things moving. Mentally I feel great on low carb diet but can’t keep weight (good weight).
I love Brussel Sprouts, Broccoli, Cauliflower. I would mix a lot of that into my diet, too. I found if you did 60% or more veggies to meat/cheese, that helps. I found most people were eating 80 percent meat/cheese and having problems digestively.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Couple of years ago I did a low-carb diet (known today as Keto) since my entire family is diabetic and my Ac1 was creeping up. Then I had my gall bladder removed and had problems digesting fat, plus my cholesteral did go up a little.

So I tried it again this past Jan 2021 because (again) my Ac1 was creeping up and I was gaining weight at an alarming rate. Excercise has always been the diff maker for me, but it's been tough now with all my knee/hip/foot problems. Went with South Beach Diet since it's basically low-carb, low fat. The first 2 weeks were very rough and I was dreaming about crusty French bread all the time, lol. But it does cut down on your cravings for carbs/sweets and that makes it easier to stick to 1,300/kcal per day. I do notice that when I have an apple or berries or some sweet potatoes, the cravings kinda come back.

But you're right Bada0Bing - when I have some good carbs, I try to at least do some power walking to burn them off. My problem now is I keep eating keto cheesecake! So after 8 weeks, have only lost 8 pounds :( so I've banished the cheesecake for now, lol.

Even worse, my husband keeps eating all my food so he's lost more weight than me - and he's already skinny! :x

Devilmaycare

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
@DeAnna instead of Keto have you looked at the Paleo or Primal diets. Primal is similar to Paleo but allows for some dairy, coffee, and nightshades. Both make sense to me from an evolutionary standpoint (assuming our anthropologists are correct ;)

I've been mostly following Primal (cheat with white rice) since 2013 after I had major knee surgery. I had gotten the Kindle version on The Primal Blueprint somehow and read it was laid up afterwards. The part that got my attention coming off of knee surgery was the claims about grains causing inflammation and cutting them will reduce it. So once I was back on my feet and able to fully feed myself I gave it a shot. After about a month on it I noticed that most of the little aches and pains I had in my ankles, knees, and shoulders went away. I had had a ton of them due to all the sprains and little sports injuries over the years. As a bonus I dropped all the weight I put on while laid up plus a little. I've stuck with it since then since it made me feel better.

It's not for everyone since there's no bread but it worked for me. I think it's a bit healthier than Keto too since it's not as meat heavy. Avoiding processed foods and sugar with focusing on fresh meat, veggies, and fruit seems like generally good advice.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
@DeAnna instead of Keto have you looked at the Paleo or Primal diets. Primal is similar to Paleo but allows for some dairy, coffee, and nightshades. Both make sense to me from an evolutionary standpoint (assuming our anthropologists are correct ;)

It's not for everyone since there's no bread but it worked for me. I think it's a bit healthier than Keto too since it's not as meat heavy. Avoiding processed foods and sugar with focusing on fresh meat, veggies, and fruit seems like generally good advice.

I've looked at Paleo and Pegan - both are so restrictive! Haven't looked into Primal, though. :thumbup:

Haven't had any sugar/sweets, bread, pasta, rice for 3 months now. Still have aches and pains but not as much. Still get nasty migraines, which I thought Keto would help, but it's only been minimal. My headaches are mostly triggered by changes in barometric pressure, though.

Devilmaycare

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I've looked at Paleo and Pegan - both are so restrictive! Haven't looked into Primal, though. :thumbup:

Haven't had any sugar/sweets, bread, pasta, rice for 3 months now. Still have aches and pains but not as much. Still get nasty migraines, which I thought Keto would help, but it's only been minimal. My headaches are mostly triggered by changes in barometric pressure, though.

You found Paleo restrictive when doing Keto? It seemed like Keto was more restrictive to me. At least for how my diet has been Keto cut out more foods for me. If you want to check out Primal hit https://www.marksdailyapple.com. Mark is the guy behind it and his site has a ton of info on it, Paleo, and Keto.

For migraines have you tried CBD? It helps with mine. If possible get one made from cannabis and not hemp. You can get them with only trace amounts (<.1%) THC so that they don't get you high. They've been more effective for me though. There's something slightly different between the plants that seems to help. Smoke shops will carry them and usually label them something like full spectrum.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I'm not doing a full blown Keto - I just can't get past all that saturated fat - yuck! So more like a modified low-card, lol.

I've tried so many CBDs - the hemp based ones are useless. A friend even got me one from his dispensary - it was like a grape soda. He said "take only a sip" but I took a third of the bottle. It did knock me out, so I missed the migraine by falling asleep, lol. The only one I found that helped was one I got in Spokane couple of summers ago (that helped with insomnia) but it's a propietary blend and haven't been able to find a similar one online :(