The Keto Diet

Discussion in 'Body and Health' started by Brian in Mesa, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

This is all the rage right now. Several members are on it and I know a few others are against it for health reasons. Thought a thread on it might prove beneficial.

2. Brian in Mesa

Jillian Michaels Doesn't Want You to Follow the Keto Diet — Here's Why

https://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Keto-Diet-Healthy-Jillian-Michaels-Answers-45411081

"When you look at your cells, they are made up of all three macronutrients (carbs, fat, and protein). You are literally starving your cells when you are not eating carbs, healthy fats, and proteins." Simply put, to lose weight, "you don't need something like keto. You can eat all the macronutrients and achieve the same goal."

3. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

4. Brian in Mesa

My thoughts exactly. :)

5. AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy Magnanimous

Mediterranean diet is much healthier and much more effective long term. Keto is very restrictive and once you stop...all the weight comes roaring back.

6. Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing Don't Stop Believin'

If you gain a bunch of weight when you stop keto then you are probably not eating very well.

I don't know who this Jillian Michaels person is, but I don't think she understands how keto works or she is being tactfully ignorant.

If you intend on burning some calories by training at lactate threshold or higher for 60 minutes, then definitely absorb some carbs. What I don't understand is when people eat a bagel and then sit at their desk for 2 hours. Your body is now ready to run for 2 hours and you just sit there so it turns the glucose to fat because it thinks you plan run later.

SO91 likes this.
  7. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

Doesn't keto raise cholesterol and fat levels? Exercise is key of course but consuming all that fat and protein can't be good for your arteries long term. Forgive my ignorance if I misunderstand the foods associated with the diet but its any food that contains no sugar or carbs, yes? Are massive quantities of vegetables part of it?

8. Bada0Bing

I don't think there's any credible research that supports eating cholesterol raises cholesterol levels. Eating the right fats is very good for you; eating sugar that your body turns to fat is very bad for you.

I'm not an expert on keto, but I get the gist of it. Yes, I'd suspect good quality vegetables are part of any reasonable diet.

9. Bada0Bing

Here's what I do.

Don't eat anything with more than 5 ingredients
    Don't eat any ingredient I don't understand.
    Don't eat a carb focused meal unless I plan on training hard in the next 2 hours
    Focus each meal on protein and good fats (grass fed beef)
    One gigantic smoothy every day that contains all the nutrients I need to consume

Most importantly:
    Do not snack between meals (your organs will thank you for the break)
    Fast 24 hours once per week
    Fast 48 hours once per month
    Fast 5 days once per year
    drink water of course

Most most importantly:
    I break these rules occasionally :)

People sometimes say "but I didn't have any healthy alternatives". So don't eat! I skip meals all the time. Once you're fat adapted it doesn't matter. You don't even get hungry. Hunger has become an environmental trigger.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    82CardsGrad and justAndy like this.
  10. justAndy

justAndy Jolly Nihilist

I'm on it. As some of you know, i used to drink a lot. My A1c was going up. My doctor said "eh, we'll put you on Metformin". Instead, i quit alcohol. But then found myself eating a lot of sugary junk food. Went keto. Quitting 95% of sugar was a 2 day ordeal that felt like any other narcotic detox. I learned that my whole body, except my brain, can run on ketones - like the Eskimos before they were exposed to our diet. How does a carb-free body supply glucose to the brain? By converting a bit of protein in the liver. Humans can - and will - run on glucose first, if glucose runs out, body switches to running on ketones from fat. When i cheat and build up glucose, a session on the arc or row machine will switch me back pretty quick. Theres a a few seconds of exhaustion, then tje famous "second wind" of distance runners. Ive been able to gain muscle and lose body fat percentage. The only way to be healthey eating a lot a carbs is to work physically every day like our ancestors did. I rarely feel hungry. Ketogen is a smooth fuel. You don't need to consume any carbs at all as long as you get good fat and protein calories. If keto is so bad, how DID the Eskimos, oh sorry, the Inuit, survive for millennia on fish and seals, with virtually no carbs? Our bodies are pretty awesome and adaptable to a wide variety of environments, which is why our species spread to every corner of the Earth, excepting Antarctica.

Linderbee likes this.
  11. Bada0Bing

Nice. My studies have lead me to some dark sides of Metformin. Glad you found another way.

I love running on ketones. I'm not strict keto, but I train for ironman triathlon about 15 hours a week and I don't each much suger, so I end up in keto by default.

It's great knowing I can go for 60+ miles on the bike or 2 hours on a trail run without even thinking about needing fuel.

Have you tried intermittent fasting as well? There's no money to be made from it, so it will never be mainstream, but there's probably nothing better for you.

12. Folster

Folster The system doesn't work.

Any diet that prohibits you from eating an apple is ridiculous in my opinion.

New diet fads come and go, but the bottom line to weight loss is simple math calories in calories out. Keto isn't magic.

When you eliminate carbs from your diet you are just restricting your calorie intake in a round about way. Most people find it difficult to over eat with proteins and fats. Most overeating is carb based. Chips cookies, soda, and the like are the main culprits.

I imagine if you tracked the caloric intake of the people who have had great success with a Keto diet, you'd see a significant caloric reduction with the Keto diet which led to the weight loss.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  13. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

Running on ketones during a fast is the best I feel but I’ve never done the diet. I’m underweight so I’m not a good candidate the difference in mental clarity is very noticeable when your brain is using ketones instead of sugar.

14. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

I do a 24 hour fast once a week... and lately, have shifted my eating to a 16 - 8 schedule (fast for 16 hours and eat all my meals in an 8 hour window).
    Thinking about going for a 3-day fast. I'm curious if you prep in any sort of way leading up to your 48 or 5 day fast? What do you drink during the fast? And how do you come off the fast?

15. Yuma

Yuma Passed my 90 days! Thanks BigRedRage!

So me and members of my family have been on Keto. We did lose weight. However, all of us found the keto diet to not be hemorrhoid friendly! :eek:

Recently I have been losing weight just by reducing my calories and increasing my excercise. Portion size has been an issue for me.