The Keto Diet

Discussion in 'Body and Health' started by Brian in Mesa, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

This is all the rage right now. Several members are on it and I know a few others are against it for health reasons. Thought a thread on it might prove beneficial.

2. Brian in Mesa

Jillian Michaels Doesn't Want You to Follow the Keto Diet — Here's Why

https://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Keto-Diet-Healthy-Jillian-Michaels-Answers-45411081

"When you look at your cells, they are made up of all three macronutrients (carbs, fat, and protein). You are literally starving your cells when you are not eating carbs, healthy fats, and proteins." Simply put, to lose weight, "you don't need something like keto. You can eat all the macronutrients and achieve the same goal."

3. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

4. Brian in Mesa

My thoughts exactly. :)

5. AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy Magnanimous

Mediterranean diet is much healthier and much more effective long term. Keto is very restrictive and once you stop...all the weight comes roaring back.

6. Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing Don't Stop Believin'

If you gain a bunch of weight when you stop keto then you are probably not eating very well.

I don't know who this Jillian Michaels person is, but I don't think she understands how keto works or she is being tactfully ignorant.

If you intend on burning some calories by training at lactate threshold or higher for 60 minutes, then definitely absorb some carbs. What I don't understand is when people eat a bagel and then sit at their desk for 2 hours. Your body is now ready to run for 2 hours and you just sit there so it turns the glucose to fat because it thinks you plan run later.

SO91 likes this.
  7. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

Doesn't keto raise cholesterol and fat levels? Exercise is key of course but consuming all that fat and protein can't be good for your arteries long term. Forgive my ignorance if I misunderstand the foods associated with the diet but its any food that contains no sugar or carbs, yes? Are massive quantities of vegetables part of it?

8. Bada0Bing

I don't think there's any credible research that supports eating cholesterol raises cholesterol levels. Eating the right fats is very good for you; eating sugar that your body turns to fat is very bad for you.

I'm not an expert on keto, but I get the gist of it. Yes, I'd suspect good quality vegetables are part of any reasonable diet.

9. Bada0Bing

Here's what I do.

Don't eat anything with more than 5 ingredients
    Don't eat any ingredient I don't understand.
    Don't eat a carb focused meal unless I plan on training hard in the next 2 hours
    Focus each meal on protein and good fats (grass fed beef)
    One gigantic smoothy every day that contains all the nutrients I need to consume

Most importantly:
    Do not snack between meals (your organs will thank you for the break)
    Fast 24 hours once per week
    Fast 48 hours once per month
    Fast 5 days once per year
    drink water of course

Most most importantly:
    I break these rules occasionally :)

People sometimes say "but I didn't have any healthy alternatives". So don't eat! I skip meals all the time. Once you're fat adapted it doesn't matter. You don't even get hungry. Hunger has become an environmental trigger.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019