The Interceptions

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Given the limited number of snaps Anderson was in the game -- this play MUST have been one that were practiced during the week.

Anderson was likely the number one option pre snap, with a single read post snap: is that safety flat footed or backpeddling? if the former, huck it deep on your third step.

I just dont get the hesitancy and regression -- these are throws he loves and excelled at up until this year
If he was the #1 option then that ball should have been thrown sooner. I thought it was more of a panic throw.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
It's another thread with facts my man. I can't help it if the facts say Kyler is sucking right now. When he's not sucking I'll write about that.

Did you know Kyler's longest passing pay of the year he 38 yards? That's not air yards. Thats including YAC. That's 43rd in the league. The only starting QB lower is Dak Prescott and he's barely played.
He definitely short-armed the first throw, maybe it should've been thrown if he had the pocket which he didn't. There were better plays on the field. It would also be intellectually honest as others said to point out the terrible play of 6 blockers not providing a pocket to four rushers one of which was delayed.

The Ertz comments are laughable. If he leads Ertz then best case scenario is Ertz gets destroyed by the safety. Worst case the LB guarding Hop tips the pass. The throw was probably the only window for that throw. Should've been a different read, maybe Rondale (again) at the LOS which is a gain of 4 assuming defender wraps up. There's no window at the top.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
You’re right but that just means the ball was thrown too soon. He should have seen the same open area Ertz saw. That’s where you aim, not where the coverage can compete for the ball.
That isn't an open area with NFL defensive speed and where LB is. If he leads Ertz he's toast or the LB underneath gets a hand on it.

You can make the argument that the throw should've gone to the flat however

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He definitely short-armed the first throw, maybe it should've been thrown if he had the pocket which he didn't. There were better plays on the field. It would also be intellectually honest as others said to point out the terrible play of 6 blockers not providing a pocket to four rushers one of which was delayed.

The Ertz comments are laughable. If he leads Ertz then best case scenario is Ertz gets destroyed by the safety. Worst case the LB guarding Hop tips the pass. The throw was probably the only window for that throw. Should've been a different read, maybe Rondale (again) at the LOS which is a gain of 4 assuming defender wraps up. There's no window at the top.

Well that's the other problem with the Ertz play. He stares him down the whole way. There was no other read. Which considering he's running into 3 defenders makes no sense.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess people would be interested to see the bigger picture on the 2 interceptions from Sunday so here you go.

I'm confused by both of them but lets start with the first one.

So straight off you will notice they are playing 2 high. So the deep ball inside the numbers is already a low odds option before the snap. If you pause the video when Kyler releases Anderson is in tight double coverage.

It's a silly pass down 4 on 1st down with lots of time remaining. Made even more so by the easy checkdown to Eno and Nuk having a big window on the deep cross. It looks to me like Kyler decided he was throwing this pre snap despite the bad look from the defense.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I understand that Ertz took the blame for this one but I'm struggling to see how because I don't see how the straight seam pass is there with the safeties position. You throw a seam pass there and the safety is just going to break downhill onto it for an INT anyway.

It looks to me that Ertz has an option route. If the safety stays back them he runs a dig behind the linebacker into the big window you can see in front of the safeties. If the safety comes down then he runs straight for the seam pass.

Maybe I'm missing something but Ertz route looks good to me considering the position of the defenders.

But if Kyler could consider throwing to the flat when it's not a designed play he has Rondale and Eno both with a tonne of space. Especially Eno. McBride is also wide open for a 1st down.

Even if Ertz runs a seam it's an incredibly difficult pass between 3 defenders when you have 3 easy first down options open.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

On the first one it was a bad decision yes, checkdown there easily .

On the 2nd one I don't see how you can say the safety would have picked it anyways at the time that Kyler releases the ball Ertz is open and he hasn't broken left yet. Smith the safety is further away from Ertz than the guy who winds up picking it was so you CAN argue that's why Ertz ran where he did, but at the point Kyler throws it, Ertz is in fact open and we ran the exact same play later in the game and completed it, same throw. I can agree that going where Ertz went results in him being more open but again near as I can tell this screenshot shows where Ertz was when Kyler threw the ball, he's STARTING to cut yes but he's still not moving left so it's understandable why Kyler's throw is behind him he didn't know he's going to move.

You must be registered for see images attach

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the first one it was a bad decision yes, checkdown there easily .

On the 2nd one I don't see how you can say the safety would have picked it anyways at the time that Kyler releases the ball Ertz is open and he hasn't broken left yet. Smith the safety is further away from Ertz than the guy who winds up picking it was so you CAN argue that's why Ertz ran where he did, but at the point Kyler throws it, Ertz is in fact open and we ran the exact same play later in the game and completed it, same throw. I can agree that going where Ertz went results in him being more open but again near as I can tell this screenshot shows where Ertz was when Kyler threw the ball, he's STARTING to cut yes but he's still not moving left so it's understandable why Kyler's throw is behind him he didn't know he's going to move.

I should add someone said he threw the ball too early when he threw it he was one step from being hit both by the guy on his left and up the middle, he didn't step into the throw but that's because of the guy up the middle.

There are THREE open guys but 2 of them are LOS sideways throws and the other I think is McBride in the right flat. Any of those 3 could have gotten good yards in hindsight if he makes any of those 3 throws it's great but if Ertz and he are on the same page we gain 20 yards.

If he doesn't target Ertz there I think the "best" choice is Rondale on the left because he's in space but he would have had to throw the ball a second earlier it's 2 congested to throw it out there now.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm not sure how he's open with the linebacker half a yard underneath him? But either way is Ertz carries on straight the spot Kyler has to throw it to to lead him is exactly where the safety is (I think it's Byrom).

JD Robertson

Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand why people say he had no pocket. At the .05/.06 second he has a pocket and Anderson is already a yard shy of Peterson and the safety is flat footed with hips square to Murray. Ball should be out now but he looks at the rush and hitches then throws while hes getting hit. He's taking a hit no matter what but maybe you get a roughing call on top of the play whether complete or not. Anyway it's not a pick. Needs to be better there.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 9.19.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 9.19.40 AM.png
    823.9 KB · Views: 8

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how he's open with the linebacker half a yard underneath him? But either way is Ertz carries on straight the spot Kyler has to throw it to to lead him is exactly where the safety is (I think it's Byrom).

Because it's the NFL and Kyler makes that throw over LB's all the time. Again he completed the exact same pass later in the game right up the seam throwing it over the LB.

I agree it's risky if the ball is high the safety coming up might pick it or take Ertz's head off but if he throws to the left it's going to be easier but he has to know Ertz is going there before he threw it and he didn't.

That to me is a classic communication INT and it's why they talked about it and the next time we ran the same play Ertz did what Kyler expected and he caught it.

Live it looked like a terrible throw but it wasn't, it was just Ertz didn't run the pattern Kyler expected him to run

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Because it's the NFL and Kyler makes that throw over LB's all the time. Again he completed the exact same pass later in the game right up the seam throwing it over the LB.

I agree it's risky if the ball is high the safety coming up might pick it or take Ertz's head off but if he throws to the left it's going to be easier but he has to know Ertz is going there before he threw it and he didn't.

That to me is a classic communication INT and it's why they talked about it and the next time we ran the same play Ertz did what Kyler expected and he caught it.

Live it looked like a terrible throw but it wasn't, it was just Ertz didn't run the pattern Kyler expected him to run

Thanks Russ. You've made me rethink my take on the 2nd Int. Appreciate your analysis.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I don't understand why people say he had no pocket. At the .05/.06 second he has a pocket and Anderson is already a yard shy of Peterson and the safety is flat footed with hips square to Murray. Ball should be out now but he looks at the rush and hitches then throws while hes getting hit. He's taking a hit no matter what but maybe you get a roughing call on top of the play whether complete or not. Anyway it's not a pick. Needs to be better there.
yes

the old nfl saying: if he is even, he is leavin

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose