The Game Plan vs the Play Run

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
There seems to be confusion on the board as to what a game plan is or how it functions. The actual game plan, offense-wise, is the selection of plays likely to be used and the sequence in which they are employed. The play comes in and the offense lines up in the relevant formation. Assume it’s a pass. The QB’s first job is to determine if the defense is playing man or zone. Motion will usually tell you the answer. If someone on defense shifts with the offensive players who shifts or goes in motion the defense is typically playing a version of man. The next thing a QB does is to visualize which defenders will likely encounter which receivers along the routes the play instructs them to run. Plays are design to favor particular receivers or game situations. However, reading the defense tells a good QB where the defensive mismatches will likely occur or where the routes will send a receiver near a hole in a zone system. In most systems the QB decides where the ball will go.

What I saw as the QB differences were obvious to me. Murray almost always throws the ball to the receiver favored by the play design. If he’s covered early, Murray delays hoping his target will come open or throws into coverage. McCoy decided, almost always correctly, where the defensive weakness was. Studying film helps a QB do this quickly. He was able to target that receiver almost immediately. He could get the ball out quicker and this kept the receivers more involved and focused on clearing. McCoy did use progressions a little. Like most coaches Kingsbury’s routes contained options. McCoy chose his option before the ball was snapped. Murray still stares down some receivers and only changes to his outlet when pressured. Otherwise, he rarely throws to a secondary target.

I’m not sure the game plan was dramatically different for McCoy, but he’s not a great deep thrower. So deep routes were seldom thrown. The plan just seemed better because the execution was focused on the defensive alignment, not the play design.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
It makes me wonder if k1 can actually read a defense pre snap?
i think he can read defenses pre-snap

his growth through last year is proof of such

i believe that defensive coordinators have seen enough to know: "if i show this look pre-snap, i likely make K1 throw here (which is where i want it to go)" Its never 100%, but its enough

I think where he struggles is post-snap

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Based upon Colt's ABILITY TO MAKE PRE-SNAP READS OF COVERAGES...

That's all that we're asking for, right? To put in the time to do such a thing....
Yes there’s two part to the equation.

Good on McCoy for being capable of that.

Why wouldn’t coach simplicity offense for kyler who is seemingly having a more difficult time making decisions.

It’s literally a no brainer. One QB is better at making reads and he’s the QB you simplify the offense for? Huh? Does not compute.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i think he can read defenses pre-snap

his growth through last year is proof of such

i believe that defensive coordinators have seen enough to know: "if i show this look pre-snap, i likely make K1 throw here (which is where i want it to go)" Its never 100%, but its enough

I think where he struggles is post-snap
There was a quote last year where Kyler said Hudson was helping him read defenses pre-snap. Maybe Hudson was doing a lot of that. Kyler hasn't had Hudson in the lineup much since his regression started.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There was a quote last year where Kyler said Hudson was helping him read defenses pre-snap. Maybe Hudson was doing a lot of that. Kyler hasn't had Hudson in the lineup much since his regression started.

I think it was helping him make protection calls. I could be wrong.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Jeff Saturday even helped out the the most intellectual QB of all time with reads at points (grew up in Indiana, massive Peyton and Colts fan).. so I don’t think that’s really anything new w an elite center helping.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good stuff Harry. I also agree with DaHilg that we sure miss Hudson. An elite center is very important especially to a qb like Murray.